Cessna 0.2A.....

yeehah1

09 02 09

Hoping I am in the right forum, but I recently picked up the 1/48 Heller kit for this aircraft and was wondering if there was any aftermarket out there for it. I have checked Hannants site, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Liam

09 02 09

Hoping I am in the right forum, but I recently picked up the 1/48 Heller kit for this aircraft and was wondering if there was any aftermarket out there for it. I have checked Hannants site, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Liam

Hi Liam

I am not aware of any aftermarket apart from some limited run USAF Vietnam FAC decals with "Don't Shoot" in large letters for the upper wing. Also, as I recall, the Heller version is quite an old kit and may well be 1:50 scale rather than 1:48.

:giles:

Darius

Glad to see confirmation from Darius, whose work I admire greatly, on this topic. I too looked in vain for aftermarket stuff, and only found the ex-warbird "Don't Shoot" decals from Draw Decal - they're interesting, and have a link to an excellent build-review by someone called Frank Cuden:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/cessnao2afc_1.htm

I'd never heard of a Heller kit: having encountered Heller's very Gallic attitude to scaling consistency in the past, I'd be concerned about the possibility of its being 1/50...

I have two O-2As in store, one each boxed as Testors (excellent instruction sheets with photographs of the real thing) and Italeri/Testors, clearly the same kit but in different coloured plastic; unduly heavy rivetting, sparse cockpits, the usual nasty clear mouldings but on the whole looks quite nice. Cuden casually mentions that he vacuum-molded his own windows! His finished model looks dauntingly good. And he located a 1/48 scale M-16 to fit into clips inside the cockpit, pretty stylish - of course, I haven't been able to locate 1/48 scale weaponry myself but if you come across any give me a shout. I've gathered a few photos, and the September 2007 issue of Today's Pilot has an excellent article on an ex-Vietnam O-2A still flying in Canada, fully restored in USAF finish.

Regards, Malcolm

I haven't been able to locate 1/48 scale weaponry myself but if you come across any give me a shout. I've gathered a few photos, and the September 2007 issue of Today's Pilot has an excellent article on an ex-Vietnam O-2A still flying in Canada, fully restored in USAF finish.

Regards, Malcolm

Malcolm

Re 1:48 weaponry there is a French company that makes resin accessories and kits that often appear on eBay. I think they are called "Propaganda" - they make a 1:48 Hummvee and accessory drivers etc. including weapons. Also when the Tamiya 1:48 Hummvee makes its solo appearance (as opposed to being boxed with their F117) it may have some weapons.

Edit - they are called Propaganda Kompany and they have a website: Linky

:giles:

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

Edit - they are called Propaganda Kompany and they have a website: [url="http://propaganda.kompany.free.fr

Darius

Ideal, many thanks Darius. A quick look shows they have just the job, item 481018 US Vietnam Infantry Weapons, incl of course an M-16. Never heard of them and haven't seen their stuff on ebay - might risk trying to deal direct though with French companies communication can be whimsical and frustrating...

Regards, Malcolm

Ideal, many thanks Darius. A quick look shows they have just the job, item 481018 US Vietnam Infantry Weapons, incl of course an M-16. Never heard of them and haven't seen their stuff on ebay - might risk trying to deal direct though with French companies communication can be whimsical and frustrating...

Regards, Malcolm

Malcolm

I have the Propaganda 1:48 Hummvee at home in the stash, which comes with weapons as I recall. You can have the M16 gratis if you like - it might save you some whimsical and frustrating communication...

PM you address and I will pop it in the post.

:cheers:

Darius

Thanks for posting the link Darius, like the look of the chopper side gunners.

Paul Harrison

Hey Liam,

Let me know if you need any walkarounds on the O-2. I have access to an original military version O-2 that has been restored inside and out.

Dave Fassett

Hi Dave,

Any chance of getting some pics of the radio stack at the back of the cabin? I have the Testors kit and will have to scratchbuild that area. I haven't been able to find any good pics online.

Thanks!

Ben

Any chance of getting some pics of the radio stack at the back of the cabin?

Sorry for the microscopic size but this is the only picture of radio bay i've seen on the net after hours of research, hope it help

O2_radio_rack-md.jpg

Hi Dave,

Any chance of getting some pics of the radio stack at the back of the cabin? I have the Testors kit and will have to scratchbuild that area. I haven't been able to find any good pics online.

Thanks!

Ben

I have about 30 pics, of a walkaround, including lots of pics of the radio rack. Total size of all the pics is over 7 Mb. PM me if you want me to email them to you.

Larry

And last but not least. Some of the item in back on the rack are made of wood and are for show. With the picture Onosendai posted above and these, you should be able to recreate a pretty accurate radio / electronics rack. I will post some exterior walkarounds as soon as I load them on the computer. Hope that these help ya'll out.

Dave Fassett

100_1437.jpg

100_1435.jpg

100_1436.jpg

100_1445.jpg

100_1443.jpg

100_1444.jpg

100_1438.jpg

100_1434.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1430.jpg

I'd like to thank Onosendai and Bulldog for their thoughtfulness and effort in posting all these images of the O-2A. Those of us interested in this aircraft will find them extremely useful and stimulating. Gentlemen, thanks.

Malcolm

I'd like to second that emotion....thanks guys, that's a whole stack of info that will come in very useful. Thanks again

Liam

FWIW, the Heller O-2A is in fact 1/50 scale, so it's a tad large for 1/48. I believe the kit also more accurately represents a Reims-Cessna 337 than a military O-2, although they may have modified the molds at some point.

J

Jennings, I think you got it the wrong way round, the Heller at 1/50 is a tad smaller that the Testors 1/48 version. Someone a a recent club meeting had the two together and it is noticeably smaller.