Revell 1:72 U-Boat VIIc "Wolfpack" Edition

Mike

I think I've accidentally bought one in ModelZone's sale. :blush: It's a bit big, isn't it? :shocked:

My main problem (other than not having a clue when it comes to the subject) is whether I can manage to keep my hands off the raft of aftermarket goodies that John @ White Ensign Models is offering me every time I visit his site :crying:

Wooden laser cut decking? Resin pressure hull? Etched updates from Eduard, resin exterior set? All of them are calling me... I can resist the internal updates, as I want to paint & weather the outer hull, as it looks like fun. Would a pressure hull be seen through the lovely wooden deck? Even if I drilled out all the holes in the upper part of the hull? :hmmm:

These questions & many more are currently flying round with the little birds in my mind :wacko:

Guest snipersmudge

Hi Mike, I think you could really go to town on this model if you wished, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend. As for the pressure hull it would be visable but it would be hard to see any detail. my suggestion would be to make it yourself using plastic card etc as you would only need to represent the outer curved shape. save your pennys for the wooden decking and etch

My tiny mind is erring towards the decking, etch and the resin "outer" set, which comprises the gun & conning tower fittings, plus a couple of figures to dress things up. Even that racks up a bill of around £100, which throws the £20 cost of the kit into sharp relief! :lol: This all may have to wait a wee while... Where's the skint smiley? :(

Hi Mike

how do ACCIDENTALLY buy something that BIG? :lol:

It just sort of fell off the shelf, I tripped & it landed on the cashdesk... then it was too late! :unsure:

You can sail the thing if you have $400+ spare :analintruder:

Linky

rich :frantic:

Dead linky :shrug:

It just sort of fell off the shelf, I tripped & it landed on the cashdesk... then it was too late! :unsure:

Dead linky :shrug:

The link works now. Won't be "sub-standard" will it? lol

Tony :clif:

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

Well - I'm just getting mine ready for paint - all assembled bar props and a few twiddly bits...

I too was tempted by pressure hulls, laser cut decks and photo etch flood holes but in the end just got some CMK figures and the WEM photo-etch set - and I've ended up using very few parts from that!

The biggest improvement in these models is opening up the flood holes in the hull halves and opening up those in the deck. It's actually not difficult - but *very* time consuming. I used a rounded scalpel blade (well - quite a few as they kept fatiguing!) and thinned the hull and deck components from the inside. You'll need to be brave as areas of the deck become almost paper thin in places.

Don't forget the long openings in the hull sides at the top of the saddle tanks - this makes a big difference.

I used black card and plastic sheet to blank off some of the interior area and used plastruct and sprue sections to suggest some detail. I can confirm that very little/nothing can be seen unless your opening deck hatches so the resin pressure hull is not really worth it IMHO and, I hear, doesn't fit too well anyway.

If I were starting again I prolly wouldn't bother with the photoetched either - use stretched sprue instead.

Oh - am using the ULAD decals for U-96 of Das Boot fame - if you want any of the others from the sheet let me know and I'll pop 'em in the post :)

Will try and take some pix tonight...

It's proving to be a brilliant cure for AMS for this aircraft modeller!

Just wish I hadn't paid full price several years ago - and I was tempted to get another from ModelZone - one hell of a bargain.

:)

Iain

32SIG http://www.skywriters.net

Edited by 32SIG

Nearly forgot:

You'll prolly find this article useful - I certainly did (includes simple templates for bow and stern internal baffle plates which look great in place):

http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U673/index.htm

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Thanks Mike...

Do you want some of the spare ULAD decals?

Also - somewhere - have Revells Kriegsmarine figs - never going to use them all and there are multiples of each pose. Again - happy to send a doggy bag.

There really is no need to go mad on aftermarket on this model IMHO...

Iain

There really is no need to go mad on aftermarket on this model IMHO...

I think you've proved that :hmmm: Although a nice resin gun would look good, I suspect :)

Do you want some of the spare ULAD decals?

Also - somewhere - have Revells Kriegsmarine figs - never going to use them all and there are multiples of each pose. Again - happy to send a doggy bag.

Sorry... showing my lack of knowledge there. What's ULAD? :dunce:

Figures would be cool, and gratefully accepted taa :)

Sorry... showing my lack of knowledge there. What's ULAD? :dunce:

ULAD did a few sheets - now out of print - I have part one and will only build one U-Boat

Clicky

Figures are of the vinyl variety - but look good.

PM me with your address.

Iain

• 3 months later...