1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FBVI

Jazzy Jase

Made a start on the Mosquito. It's going to be Mosquito HR241/TH-M from 418 Squadron.

I'm building this simultaneously with an Academy Typhoon. Both using Xtradecals Normandy Invasion set.

So far I've removed the cockpit parts and fuselage from the sprues.

3260259616_c2575198a2_o.jpg

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Be finished by this evening then huh? :tease:

Ha, not at the speed I build. It's taken me over 4 months to build my Lancaster and I still haven't finished it.

I've made a small amount of progress on this one. The front fuselage parts of the cockpit have been glued to the rear fuselage parts. I then removed the top fixing tab, filled the gap and some ejector pin marks and sanded. Hoping to start painting the cockpit this weekend.

Just a quick note to say that I've not made any progress on the Mossie. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to buy Eduards Photo Etch Zoom set to spruce up the model a bit. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't crack on with the cockpit.

I've never used photo etch before so this could be interesting.

I've also ordered a new set of decals after deciding the Hannants ones were incorrect.

I was disappointed with the Tamiya Mosquito in some respects, but ther's no denying the quality of the fit. Good luck with your build.

Hi Brews, what did you find disappointing about the kit?

Quick update on this one. Eduard Zoom photo etch set turned up this morning.

This is my first time working with PE and I'm finding it a little delicate but I've managed to fit the seatbelts and a few bits on the side of the cockpit.

You can also see from the picture I have removed the tabs that join the front of the cockpit to the rear and filled the gaps. I've also filled some of the ejector pin marks that would be visible.

Sorry about the blurred picture. My camera only managed the one picture before the battery died.

3315731823_a6d6b04735_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update and all is not well. After a monumental cockup whilst painting the interior I decided to strip the paint and start again. Having seen Fairy Power Spray recommended here I bought a bottle and dunked the kit in it for 24 hours. It didn't strip the Vallejo Model Air at all well, but it did strip all the superglue and Gator glue that I had used to stick down the PE and lead wiring. Scrubbing with a toothbrush caused the front of the cockpit sides to snap off and the whole lot went in the bin. Luckily I have another 2 spare in the stash! Work will recommence next week after I finish the kit I'm building as a gift to someone.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I made a start on the replacement Mossie and I've continued to work on it today.

In the cockpit I have again removed the ejector pin marks and the tabs that hold the front of the fuselage to the rear.

I've added photo etched seatbelts, instrument panel and other details.

3431179809_57af88569c_o.jpg

3431179555_60c901e2c7_o.jpg

3431993756_526edd3a47_o.jpg

Added some lead wire to represent cabling.

3431995158_f1f1c01313_o.jpg

3431994916_51d8149009_o.jpg

I have also fixed the wings and engine nacelles in place and glued the fuselage together.

3431995684_094fcbbb70_o.jpg

3431180815_70e9ba41f8_o.jpg

3431180011_855dfa5238_o.jpg

Bearing in mind this is 1/72, the pictures show far more detail than is visible with the naked eye, so although the painting looks untidy in the photos, I think it looks really good to the naked eye. I am a little disappointed however that the transparent instrument details are not really visible.

• 1 month later...

Mosquito update time, but no photos I'm afraid.

Construction is nearly complete. The model received two coats of Klear yesterday and the decals will be going on after the Grand Prix today.

Obviously since my last update I've done a lot to the model. Fuselage, wings and engine nacelles all joined up, filled, sanded and rescribed where necessary.

I removed the moulded-on windscreen wiper and polished the canopy, then had another small mishap after gluing it on. I sprayed it interior green and then realised I had forgotten to mask it. So it was removed and given an ammonia bath!

The model then received a coat of Alclad grey primer which was then sanded smooth. I really like this primer but it doesn't half pong.

Next the model was pre-shaded with Tamiya black and painted all over with Medium Sea Grey mixed using Tamiya Acrylics. I used the 0.4mm needle on my airbrush for this and the paint was too thick, hiding the pre-shading, so I post shaded it all using darkened, then lightened mixture of the grey.

Masking and Dark Green were next followed by the post shading. Upon removing the white-tack sausages I found the edges of the green a little too soft for my liking but I can live with it. I will make the sausages smaller next time.

A small touch-up on the Starboard wing turned into a bit of a nightmare and meant a re-spray of both colours. I'm a little disappointed with this as I think I've lost some of the shading, but it's not that noticeable and weathering will help to hide it.

The landing gear assemblies and all the other bits-and bobs are painted, weathered, clear-coated and awaiting attachment.

Edited by Jazzy Jase

Hopefully just the gash bits and not the whole kit!

Ha ha, yes I only chucked the knackered bits which means I've got loads of spares for the one I'm building, plus the two still in the stash! :)

OUCH !!!

Sorry tht you have had a bit of a set back :oops: but I am sure you will :wow: bounce back as you dip into the stash that you have gotten.

:please: lets have no more of your :pardon: and show US more of your outstanding work that will :goodjob: ..

Okay once again Sorry that you are being held up by these minor glitches and trust you will have better luck SOON...

Because I LOVE MOSSIES and cannot wait to see this...

HOUSTON :thumbsup:

Edited by Houston

Decaling done. I was very disappointed with the decals from Aviaology. The roundels and squadron codes had white borders. Luckily I only stuck two of them on and was able to easily remove them. I've had to use them for the serial number and nose art but they don't look as bad as the roundels.

So, I turned to the Xtradecals I had for the roundels and squadron codes and these are much better but the reds look a little too light IMO. I stuck with the kit decals for the stencils and they seem OK too.

Just got to bed them all down with a few coats of Microsol left overnight, followed by a layer of Klear tomorrow morning. Then it's time for the panel wash. I've started using Mig washes and I've been pleased with them so far.

It's finally finished. :)

Here's a couple of photo's. I will post up some more when I get a chance later today. Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

3578401154_acf059c42b_o.jpg

3578400982_7faf7e869a_o.jpg

3578401306_dfd8c24b31_o.jpg