47 Squadron Camels

Glenn R

Hi All,

I'm after some information again!

Looking through RAF Operations 1919-38 by Chaz Bowyer, I came across a photo of a 47 Squadron Sopwith Camel in southern Russia in 1919.

Can anyone help me with the serials of these machines (8 aircraft, I think). I do know that one of them was serialled F6396, but I would like to know the others. Over to you.

Regards,

Glenn

There's nothing of much use in "Bomber Squadrons of the RAFand their aircraft," but it does say that, at that time, 47 was a mix of D.H.9s and Camels (mainly the latter, but no serials for either,) and recommends a book, published in 1923, "Over the Balkans and South Russia," by H.A.Jones.

Edgar

There's nothing of much use in "Bomber Squadrons of the RAFand their aircraft," but it does say that, at that time, 47 was a mix of D.H.9s and Camels (mainly the latter, but no serials for either,) and recommends a book, published in 1923, "Over the Balkans and South Russia," by H.A.Jones.

Edgar

Hi Edgar,

Yes, I read that in my copy, the only serial I could find came from the Air Britain RAF squadrons book. I was just wondering if anyone had any more information. Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Glenn

There's a photo of N8184 in Windsock Datafile no.6, plus N8130 "Tamworth," and there's N8187 in Latvian service, but it's unclear if it was originally with 47 Squadron.

Edgar

P.S. In Alan Lake's "Flying Units of the RAF," B7181 is listed under "Royal Air Force Training Mission, South Russia."

Edited by Edgar

There's a photo of N8184 in Windsock Datafile no.6, plus N8130 "Tamworth," and there's N8187 in Latvian service, but it's unclear if it was originally with 47 Squadron.

Edgar

P.S. In Alan Lake's "Flying Units of the RAF," B7181 is listed under "Royal Air Force Training Mission, South Russia."

There's a list of 30 Camel serials in The Camel File, (Air Britain) known to have been supplied to "A Flt" (aka 47Sqn) or passed on to Russia forces, F6396 is not listed nor do the N serials feature.

John