Problem with Nimrod decals!

Kinky Afro

Hi folks,

could someone please help. Ive put them god awful OOB airfix decals on my nimrod and they look terrible. No matter how much Microsol I put on they just wont break down. Normally you get the decal crinkling then the carrier film melts but not with these. Do I need to buy some stronger decal solution to break them down. Its like ive just put stickers on the model not decals?

First lesson on Airfix decals is throw them away and get an aftermarket set, I have found just by looking at a sheet if its matt finish its s***e, get them off and start again is my advise.

Good Luck

First lesson on Airfix decals is throw them away and get an aftermarket set, I have found just by looking at a sheet if its matt finish its s***e, get them off and start again is my advise.

Good Luck

Airfix decals really are crap aren't they

350622230.jpg

I don't know how they have the nerve to put them in their boxes

348445747.jpg

They really should include a voucher for the buyer to purchase some AM ones

323121371.jpg

I don't know how they get away with it

305662890.jpg

Most of us know that the quality of decals can be hit and miss :shithappens:

but sweeping generalisations just get my goat :angrysoapbox.sml:

My opinion and my generalisation, they are crap like most of the revell offering in the past. Hasegawa and Tamiya use to produce crap to. Why spend poo-poo loads of mony on a kit and only to spoil it with decals, in future do you want all my s***e decals save me throwing them in the bin?? :D

Sorry Ratch, but I aggree with Les on this one...here's what I did to my left-over Nimrod decals...

Nimrod005as.jpg

they really are the WORST decals I have ever used in my entire modelling life...:(...so let's hope that Airfix have got it better in their newer releases?

My general thought on kit decals is the same as Les's... you can tell straight away before you have built the kit if your going to have trouble with the decals...

If ive spent loads on the kit ,aftermarket parts, etch sets etc etc then why would i risk the chance of cocking the whole thing up . just what you need is a load of silvering decals but then its down to peoples own standards and there build quality...

Thanks god for people like Aeromaster, Eagle Strike, Superscale etc etc...

Cheers,

Neil

While the Nimrod decals are not good I hear, you guys cant generalise that all Airfix decals are bad, I have found on a whole they are good, they did have that bad patch when Heller were printing them, hopefully they are getting through this.

Some airfix decals which turned out ok;

Banfin3.jpg

F2H-2No2.jpg

fixed01.jpg

I some times wish some aftermarket decals were this good.

Julien

• 3 months later...
While the Nimrod decals are not good I hear, you guys cant generalise that all Airfix decals are bad, I have found on a whole they are good, they did have that bad patch when Heller were printing them, hopefully they are getting through this.

Some airfix decals which turned out ok;

Banfin3.jpg

F2H-2No2.jpg

fixed01.jpg

I some times wish some aftermarket decals were this good.

Julien

I just recieved replacement decals for the Nimrods I purchased. I understand that some people have had replacements too. How have they bee like to use.

Thanks