This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
T0M4ever

The Fin

As it is such a prominent feature on the Tornado, how do you acheive this distinctive pattern of weathering on the fin?

I am new to weathering and need all the pointers I can get!

Thanks.

Edited by T0M4ever

Depends on how dirty the jet is,as it's just jet blast from the reverse thrust buckets I just drybrush black in a 'cone shape' starting at the narrowest point being above the engine & spread outwards towards the front of the fin,gradually getting lighter.

But if you're doing the one in your sig,I would'nt go too heavy,if at all,as the jet would either be freshly painted or washed down more frequently.

Merv

If you're adept with an airbrush, you could airbrush the soot on. If not, I'd have a go with some pigments, pastels or chalk, ground fine & added to taste with a soft brush or similar :)

Depends on how dirty the jet is,as it's just jet blast from the reverse thrust buckets I just drybrush black in a 'cone shape' starting at the narrowest point being above the engine & spread outwards towards the front of the fin,gradually getting lighter.

But if you're doing the one in your sig,I would'nt go too heavy,if at all,as the jet would either be freshly painted or washed down more frequently.

Merv

Thanks.

The one in my sig shouldn't be too bad. But I am planning on building at least one of every version of Tornado in service with the RAF and some German and Italian ones all in 1/48. I know a lot of the German and Italian ones are very dirty!

many ways airbrush , pastels , dry brushing look at the photo's of the one you are building and judge from that how dirty or clean you are doing it ..

Sign in to follow this