1/72 Hasegawa E-2C Hawkeye 2000...

CHUUK

My first commision build... sort of... not really. In return for building this kit, a friend bought me another kit.

Day 1...

IMG_7127.jpg

Cockpit details are very nice... could use some belts, but I've never done them before and I have nothing to make a buckle with... so OOB it is!

IMG_7136.jpg

Fuselage join... notice the horrible step due to the belly insert.

IMG_7139.jpg

Besides the cockpit there is no other detail inside the fuselage... only black paint to see through the three tiny windows.

IMG_7141.jpg

Those elevators were begging to be chopped!

IMG_7144.jpg

Wing and elevators dry fitted.

IMG_7145.jpg

Flaps will be in the down position.

IMG_7146.jpg

Those elevators are gonna look so hot... all drooped and junk!

IMG_7147.jpg

This kit will no doubtably become a 'bondo hussie'. Nice details, but I think pretty much every join, especially the belly, will require lots of putty or Mr. Surfacer to git'er dunn.

IMG_7149.jpg

... see what I mean?

IMG_7152.jpg

Not much left of the pit to see.

Cheers!

Chuck

Edited by CHUUK

Is this the new tool one? I'd read the new version was pretty good fit wise other than the belly. Their solution was to cut it in half and join them to the seperate fuselages first.

Good to see an authentic looking cockpit decal set, so many I see are rather generic.

This is the new kit, just released. I think it was ordered from Hobby Buy maybe? The cockpit decals, althought they looked nice, were not used... nothing but paint. I thought of sawing the belly insert in half and adding my own insert so the total width would match that of the fuselage... but the circular radar thingy on the bottom didn't seem like it would retain the proper shape if done so. I'll just fill and sand and hope for the best.

Cheers!

Chuck

Day 2... fun build, just lots of sanding and shaping.

IMG_7158.jpg

Stuff that will show through the glass on the bottom of the radome.

IMG_7185.jpg

Inside of radome is painted white and attached.

IMG_7184.jpg

The rest of the pics just show the amount of impending body work. The first bits on the belly are under way, and the nacelles on the engine pods look worrying.

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

Edited by CHUUK

Day 3...

She's starting to look like an aeroplane. Again... this is a fantastic kit with lots of detail... but EVERY join needs work... sanding, filling, rescribing!

IMG_7188.jpg

Rear wing join and scoop on top needed lots of attention.

IMG_7189.jpg

Belly insert finally finished. Some details lost during sanding are replaced with scratch styrene.

IMG_7192.jpg

Nacelles required lots of sanding, but joining to the wing was effortless.

IMG_7194.jpg

The glazing is all sanded, scribed at the join, and masked.

IMG_7196.jpg

The naughty bits...

IMG_7186.jpg

Radome and vertical stabs dry fitted and looking HOT!

Cheers!

Chuck

That looks sweet! Just cry's out for a resin wing fold though!!

Very nice indeed and I bet the aftermarket peep's will be churning nice big colourful markings out for this in no time.

What markings are in the kit?

Eng

Day 4... paint...

IMG_7197.jpg

This is my first serious attempt at position lights. They came as an option in the kit... a little dab of red, glue, shaping, sanding, polishing... it actually looks a bit clearer in person, I think the white paper underneath is making it look foggy.

IMG_7198.jpg

Pre-shading.

IMG_7200.jpg

I love taking the masking off... I think it's one of my favourite parts of modelling.

IMG_7207.jpg

Painted the flap recesses red.

IMG_7208.jpg

Profile... popped the cockpit windows open to get some fresh air in there.

IMG_7209.jpg

I think all the pre-shading went to waste... I was a bit heavy handed on the gull grey.

Vincenzo - Nice model, lots of detail, but lots of work on every join. Folded wings is not an option with the kit... who knows, maybe someone will create an aftermarket wing fold kit?

Cheers!

Chuck

For the pre-shading you always remedy rehearsing the panel lines with a very diluted Tamiya Smoke (which does not alter the color but darkens only) and clearing up the center of the panels with the base color slightly cleared. If I advice you not to overdo it though because looking at pictures of real airplane the effect is not too pronounced.The effect of position lights is good :clap2: !

About an aftermarket to wing fold I hope that sooner or later it will be a product, the model would acquire beauty and particularity!

Ciao!!!

Really nice work there mate, i built the Fujimi kit years ago but this looks a lot better!!

Keep the updates coming!

Adam

Day 5 and 6...

IMG_7211.jpg

Double 3s... that won't do. Relaxing after a coat of gloss.

IMG_7218.jpg

The props... the prop heater and white tips are 2 decals... I should have painted these.

IMG_7216.jpg

Remade some of the antannae(?) with brass rod.

IMG_7215.jpg

Dry fit.

IMG_7220.jpg

Decalling begins.

Cheers!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Day 8...

It was a pretty good day... until... whap... knocked over a bottle of Tamiya liquid cement! It ruined a couple blades on the prop, the elevators, and the LAST 2 gear doors. I was so close... I was gonna have her done and shoot the final coat of semi-gloss tonight. BLOODY HELL!

Now that I'd become fully high on cement fumes, I figured I' dry fit some bits to see what she'd look like almost finished. It'll be another week before the repair work can begin. Those prop blades are gonna be a @#$%!

Forgive the picture quality... the big camera is charging.

Off to the pub...

photo.jpg

She got legs earlier today.

photo(2).jpg

Call out the haz-mat team.

photo(3).jpg

Damaged bits.

photo(7).jpg

Dry-fit / motivation to continue.

Chuuk,

I feel for you I really do, I know the feeling well, just about to put the last few decals on and one crinkles up on the model or the setting solution discolours the paint underneath aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh.. as they used to say in the Victor! The worst is when you put your newly completed BN Islander near a fan heater to dry that little bit quicker and .... you forget about it for half an hour, the tail looked like an upside down Caribou. We've all been there (but few admit it).

Love the Hawkeye, the price is a bit steep, one for Santa's list me thinks. 32 decals on each prop disc, that must be a record. If I've missed it, what paints are you using please as I have A and C models of the Hawkeye to do as well. It would break my heart to give away such a beauty after you've lavished so much care and attention on it, even if it was a commission.

Great job, cant wait to see her finished.

Ian S.