Revell 1/144 Tornado IDS

T0M4ever

I have only just stumbled across this group build, and as there is not long left my entry will have to be a small one!

I will be using this kit straight from the box:

04030.jpg

The kit looks really nice, the detail is fantastic for the scale, lovely recessed panel lines and a great set of decals.

It's a shame I didn't join sooner as I finished a 1/48 Airfix GR1 in November! :shithappens:

Here is a shot of the sprues that came with the kit.

tornadoidsspruelu3.jpg

The detail is really quite good, the cockpit detailling is just a few decals so I might add some wiring if I think it will make a difference (the canopy will have to be closed on this one).

I'll have my Jag finished tomorrow so I should start in the week :pray:

I've completed all the sub-assemblies I can before I need to start painting anything. The fuselage went together really well, only a few spots where I will need some filler (where the fin meets the spine, front of the wing gloves and the 'Z' shape join just infront of the tailplane.

minitonkaaz6.jpg

minitonka2kp0.jpg

The only area I might try to improve is the exhausts. Where the flame holder would be is just a flat, completely blank bit of plastic which is in contrast to the rest of the kit.

minitonka3vo0.jpg

The other bits I have managed to do:

minitonka4df0.jpg

The cockpit parts:

minitonka5jk5.jpg

The underwing tanks are drying at the moment, there was a little bit of a seam where they joined together but that my just be my fault :banghead:

Watch out for the fit of the wings on this model - they droop too much giving an almost Harrier like anhedral. On mine I glue the wing to the top wing glove, then squeezed the bottom glove up. Nice kit apart from that.

Regards

David

Does anyone know what the FS numbers are for the paint scheme on this one? The Revell instructions want me to mix some colours together and don't give any FS numbers! <_<

Don't worry! Using these websites I have sorted it out.

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/n87d_tor.jpg

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/pai...rsionchart.html

Watch out for the fit of the wings on this model - they droop too much giving an almost Harrier like anhedral. On mine I glue the wing to the top wing glove, then squeezed the bottom glove up. Nice kit apart from that.

Regards

David

Good point, once I have decided how I want the wings I'll definitely do that.

A quick shot of the seats and the cockpit before I join the two halves of the front fuselage together. The decal instruments don't look too bad in this scale, I added belts with some Tamiya tape and an ejection handle using a thin bit of wire. Getting it into a tiny loop was a pain :D

minitonka6ul7.jpg

minitonka7pm6.jpg

Another little update, here are the two 'winders that came with the kit. Not sure if they were ever carried with this scheme but I thought I'd paint them up anyway!

minitonka8xb4.jpg

I have joined the two fuselage parts, just the intakes and IFR probe to go on and then I'll need to fill in a few seams before she will be ready for some paint!

minitonka10lr0.jpg

You can just about see the little loops of wire I added in the burner cans to add some interest.

minitonka11kh1.jpg

minitonka12qu8.jpg

It's a welcome break from 1/48 actually. I don't feel the urge to detail every part as much as possible!

I have primed it, added the white stripe on the spine and the olive green has now gone on. I took a photo once the white was on, but the with the camera flash it just looked like a white Tornado outline!

Before the Maskol comes off:

minitonka15eb1.jpg

and after:

minitonka16dw1.jpg

Some of the edges are a bit ragged because of the way the Maskol peels off, so I will have to sort them tomorrow. Then I just need some aircraft grey for the wing roots and black for the fin and nose, and we will nearly be ready for some decals! :partytime:

Try using some micromesh if you have some, it really helps on those edges.

Using Maskol for camouflage is OK but you have to use very thin coats or it will crack and peel at the edges. Even in braille scale, i would advise using thin strips of masking tape for defining the edge of the camo - if you cut Tamiya tape into very thin strips it will easily conform to curved shapes and uneven surfaces without creasing. Then fill in the inner gap with Maskol, saves headaches like this one!

• 1 month later...