1/72 Trumpy Wyvern

Seamus

Evening all,

For my next build, I'm planning on building the Trumpeter 1/72 Wyvern and just have a few things that need clarification.

Firstly, I think the instructions call for the cockpit to be painted grey- Is this right? I'd have assumed for the timeframe it would be black.

Second, I think I read somewhere that the rockets provided by the kit aren't all that accurate- again, is this really the case? Not a big deal if it is, I'll just sling the tanks underneath.

Finally, I'd rather have the wings spread, so are there any fit issues building them this way?

TIA for your help

Cheers

Shaun :)

Wyvern cockpits were black, yeah - a very dark grey with a black wash & bit of dry-brushing should do that. I'll leave the rest to someone that's built the kit :)

Got the same build planned myself so been reading up on it :D

In summary;

1 Black it is my friend.

2 Not sure but the drop-tanks seem to be more common as a load.

3 From what I understand the fit needs some attention to get a good result with wings spread.

The other thing I recall was some extra lumps on the fin that need removing but I'll check the article and report back once I'm home ;)

Hi Shaun, I'm not sure about the rockets, I just don't know enough about them to give you a reliable answer. I would have to agree with you that the cockpit is likely to be black, since the majority of other contemporary British combat aircraft were, though I have to confess I haven't seen any pictures of the cockpit or indeed seen one in real life to give you a definite answer. Trumpy also say the Gannet should be grey in the cockpit, but these were black inside in real life so maybe they made the same mistake with the Wyvern? People do afterall - Airfix suggest light grey for the Vulcan cockpit and wheel bays. :lol:

The wing fit I can give you a positive answer for - when I built mine, the wings went on absolutely fine with no filler needed. However, because I was undecided until fairly late in the build that I wanted to depict the wings extended rather than folded, I didn't reinforce the join, and the kit's provision for having the wings extended is structurally weak to say the least. Since you know you want them extended from square one, I'd reccomend to you that you install some more substantial supports (maybe some sprue or plastic card spars) inside the wings. Have fun building this kit - despite the flak Trumpy get, this kit's a real joy to build, and judging by your other entries so far it'll be fabulous! :)

Hey Shaun,

First off, my apologies for getting your name wrong. Shaun it is, then!

i have a Trumpeter Wyvern started. i used Black as well (actually, MM Cockpit Interior black which is a very dark gray). The cockpit tub is a very snug fit , incorporating a tab and slot system. The cockpit sure isn't going anywhere!

One thing i tried out, was i glued the spinner components together with Future floor wax, primed it with Interior green, and then executed the cleanup of the sprue attachment points (basically sanding it all the way down to bare plastic again). i did this to avoid rounding off the sharp edges where all the spinner parts come together. i then soaked it in warm water to dissolve the wax, disassembled it, reassembled it with white glue and painted it EDSG.

Then i carefully soaked it again and pried it apart. Now i can install the propeller blades later in construction and not worry about hard- to- reach gaps, etc. i have pictures lying around somewhere, i think.....

An initial test run of the wings in the spread position indicates the fit might be just a touch dodgy, but not a doomsday scenario. Ye just need the get the angles of the inboard and outboard wing dihedral right. This may run afoul of the popular "Glue the upper parts together, then glue to the lower parts" school of wing construction.

i will leave it at that and defer to those who have gotten along farther than i. That being said, another COOL choice of subject matter.

All the Best,

david

Edited by David H

haven't any pics to show Shaun, but built this kit just over a year ago.

what Mike said re- cockpit

rockets aren't 100% accurate but just about acceptable depending on personal tolerance on these things.

A lot of pics i had showed the rails only with fuel tanks so i did the configuration by cutting off the rockets attaching the stubs and using styrene flat section for the rails. (Though i didn't have the time to re adjust to a more accurate rail, i felt it was acceptable.

as Col said the tanks always seem to be carried.

don't get me started on the wingfold join :boom:

not easy. I wouldn't trust the kit parts alone- one of the wings fell off when varnishing. okay that could all be my fault but the spacers are weedy. stregnthen with rods of some sort. after that it may need a bit of filler and sanding but nothing you can't deal with Shaun :thumbsup:

col said

The other thing I recall was some extra lumps on the fin that need removing

it was the rear warning aerials (not a brilliant representation anyway) but it depends which airframe you are doing. some kept the array. there were a couple of other small points that i modified- nothing major- to try and get a better representation- but can't remember what they were now. will let you know if it comes back to me

hope that helps

Thanks for the speedy replies gents, muchos help :)

I thought of something else too, am I right in thinking the RATO bottles were never fitted in service? I don't really fancy fitting them anyway, but would be interested to know as I can't recall ever seeing any fitted

Cheers

On my quickbuild of the kit I was undecided whether to go for folded wings or not right up until the point where I glued them on at the end. I had test fitted them and can confirm the the fit of the outer wings was virtually perfect. I did nothing special, just glued the bits together.

If you are building it with them spread from the start, and use liquid poly or similar on bare plastic, you shouldn't have a problem with them falling off :)

Jen.

you shouldn't have a problem with them falling off :)

just what are you inferring Jen? :tomato:

the Rato looks good but don't think they were used as you say Shaun so can be safely left off in my opinion.

being a pessimist and a belt and braces sort of guy i would still recommend some strengthening of the join

but i'm more of a klutz than Jen and not as good at fixing bits of plastic together :violin:

which option are you gonna do ?

Thanks again guys, all very helpful :)

Jen, the words "virtually perfect" are exactly what I like to hear :D

Cheers

EDIT: Sorry Paul, missed you question :blush: I'll probably be doing her in the markings of WP344, 831 Sqn. Don't really fancy doing the Suez bird, as everyone seems to, plus it save me the bother of making a mess of masking them up :lol:

Edited by Seamus

just what are you inferring Jen? :tomato:

the Rato looks good but don't think they were used as you say Shaun so can be safely left off in my opinion.

being a pessimist and a belt and braces sort of guy i would still recommend some strengthening of the join

but i'm more of a klutz than Jen and not as good at fixing bits of plastic together :violin:

which option are you gonna do ?

Awwwww, don't be like that Walrus old spoon :grouphug:

I was merely expressing my opinion, my intention was not to cast aspersions on your modelling skills :winkgrin:

Jen.

Building the 1/48 version at the mo. RATO rarely if ever fitted. Main prob with the rockets (in 1/48 anyway) is that they are of the "magic" variety with no exhaust! If bombs/wing tanks are carried, then only the two outboard rocket rails are used with a single tier only on the inboard position & two-tier outboard (i.e., 6 x rockets). Try & get hold of the 4+ Book on the Wyvern which is an invaluable reference.

Should have added, the centre of the instrument panel is black but the two outer panels were a red/brown colour, similar to the Spitfire's seat - possibly bakelite?

Edited by Graham T

aspertions cast or not Jen, it's sadly all too true :sob:

i couldn't get a clean fit, possibly because the alignment was out after i had stuck the upper wing sections onto their respective lower sections.

it didn't help that i held the model by the wing tip to manouver it into a better position and the weak join couldn't hold the weight.

what am i like, tut! :fool: