Revell 1/32 Mustang III + Kitsworld Decals

zero

Well I've managed to match a kit in the stash with a Set of Decals I already have. ie These

KW132009.jpg

I've been doing a bit of research on Sqn Ldr Derrick Fitzgerald Westenra and this is what I have found so far

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=westenra

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/commonwealth_westenra.htm

Early in 1943 he joined 601 Squadron, equipped with Spitfire Mk.Vcs, as a Flying Officer, soon becoming a Flight Lieutenant again, and seeing action throughout the advance into Tunisia. He remained with the unit until 15 September 1943, after the invasions of Sicily and Italy, when he was posted to command 93 Squadron equipped with Spitfire Mk.IXs.

On 1 January 1944, he transferred back to the RNZAF, and in February left 93 on posting to the UK. Here in March he was given command of 65 Squadron on Mustangs, leading this unit throughout the Normandy invasion until 9 July.

He was awarded a Bar to his DFC in September, and it is presumed that he then returned to New Zealand. No details of his subsequent service are available.

Westenra ended the war with 2 biplane victories and a total of 8 and 3 shared destroyed

17/05/44 1/3 Bf109 Shared destroyed Mustang III ER280 Aalborg area 65 Squadron

7 17/05/44 1 Ju88 Destroyed Mustang III ER280 Aalborg area 65 Squadron

8 08/06/44 1 Fw190 Destroyed Mustang III FZ120 Gace_Dreux 65 Squadron

So one RAF Mustang III (with Malcolm Hood) is my project for this build, I can't find that the Aircraft carried Invasion strips but it clear from research not all aircraft carried them. therefore Unless I find otherwise, this one will not be marked with them.

Dave

Those decals look great, never heard of them before, I used the Techmod decals on mine.

Cheers

Den

Hi Den

Yep they are very good Quality as Well. so I'm looking forward to this build. The sharks mouth will be used in some way, My only grumble is two sets of codes, but only one set of wing roundels and tail flashs. the kits decals are okay, but being older I'll used the ones on the sheet over those. Also as this is an old up rivet kit (which I'm going to try and keep) I surely am going to need some setting solution. (better get some at modelkraft this weekend!)

Dave

this it the kit and Decals I'm using for the build. I've done nothing to the kits after recieving it from Nige (Cop) After a good Look all I can say is I'm all ready to go, as per the sixth.

352955789.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave,

The kit does build up well, I used the Eduard etched brass set on mine just to add a little detail, the P51 experts don't like the kit at all but I was very happy how it came out. I did get rid of all the surface detail and rescribe mine as well. Must investigate those decals though, Hannants have them on their site.

Happy building.

Cheers

Den

This is how mine came out, not perfect but I like it.

OldRevellkits008.jpg

Hi Dave,

The kit does build up well, I used the Eduard etched brass set on mine just to add a little detail, the P51 experts don't like the kit at all but I was very happy how it came out. I did get rid of all the surface detail and rescribe mine as well. Must investigate those decals though, Hannants have them on their site.

Happy building.

Cheers

Den

If mine comes out half as good as that one I will be well happy.

I also seem to remember you sent me some British Corsair decals long ago? Was that you? (when I first joined this site, or another!)

Anyway, I will only build one of these options it the ones I have selected, so it you want the other bits codes, reg, and sharks mouth, for the other Mustang III (note it not a malcolm hood Bird) your more than welcome to them. Let me know and I will stick the remanders and the instructions sheets in the post as soon as I have finished with them.

Dave

Hi Dave, PM on the way.

Cheers

Den

Cheers Den

Pm on the way over the bits, many thanks.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made a start on the sixth and wished I hadn't. I managed to break the IP part in half whilst removing the middle ready for the etch parts kindly suppled buy Den. Not to much of a problem I just tackled ther job ham fisted and paid the price. I need to be more careful

I did fit some of the etch parts to the nose to make the air holes in the cowling, but I was not happy with how these parts fitted so I have used them as a drilling rig over fitting them, ie I glued the part in place drilled the holes and them remover the etch, this still now gives ne the same affect if not better but the cowling is smooth again. (this need a bit of cleaning up and re-drilling)

354389624.jpg

Unfortunately I'm still working (tonight is my last night) so just getting to work, sleeping and travel, have all taken my time in the bad weather, Hopefully now the weather has changed (I hope) I can get on and get started more on this and complete the Tony I'm working on as well.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well finally got back in the swing on this kit, and thanks again to Den (spitfire) for the remain etch set which he didn't use. Been laid up with a chest infection for a couple of weeks so fumes from paint and glue would not have been a good thing.

Anyway after a bit of cleaning and painting (basic) heres where I am today

358115329.jpg

Dave

bit more done, what a squeeze to get this one all lined up.

Anyway it all ready to add glue now.

358136463.jpg

Dave

Thanks people for your positive comments.

bit for done today, did all the filling earlier, I'll give this 24 hours to dry before even attempting to sand this, however most of the work needed is on the underside. I've also kleared (twice) and masked the glazing so thats already to fit and I've been painting some smaller bits ready for assembly also

The cockpit (finished bar a few tamiya tape seat belts) again thanks to Den (spitfire for this) I've remade the IP (after breaking it) and the Clocks and dials are mounted on white plastic card, to show through more.

358588327.jpg

Also another General Workbench picture, I'm probably going to glue the cowling in place, and sand to fit, as it very proud in some area's the next bit needed work is the spin and Airscoop which I will attack tomorrow after the filler has had plent of time to cure.

358588336.jpg

Dave

Looking good there Dave, I've got a spare kit in the loft minus it's clear parts if you need any parts, forgot all about it until now !

Cheers

Den

Can you not remove some of the plastic from the inside and inside edges on the cowling or whatever's obstructing the fit? That way you'll keep the detail on the outside without sanding off the detail . . . ;)

Nick

Thanks Guy

Well I managed to bust the tailwheel off this evening but I was not happy with it anyway, far to flimsy. Typical I can't find the bit, so I'll scratch one out of brass wire nearer the finish line.

Still cleaning seams at present. (not had much time today, gardening and tidying up to help the missus!) Scoreing browny points :offtopic:

Anyway after cleaning (still some more to do yet!)

358724030.jpg

358724034.jpg

358724036.jpg

Dave

Your doing well Dave

Thanks Mish

bit more done today, the majority of the sanding is now done, but there are as usual a few areas that need attention. I've thrown the first coat of paint at a few area now, once dry, I'll do the final sanding and seam work, before laying proper paint down

358909578.jpg

358909583.jpg

Dave

bit gutted tonight! :violin:

For some reason, I have noticed a couple of stress cracks that have appeared on the model. so i fear this is rapidly turning in to a pile of :shit: :shithappens:

I've not dropped it, and the fuse closed up okay if a little tight, so I can only presume it was a bit much for the age of the plastic. there is not a lot I can do bar fill them with superglue and hope for the best. I can't sand the area as this will remove the rivet detail, so All I can hope is that they stay in place and the decals cover the majority of the damage.

only time is going to tell with this one :poo:

Dave

Edited by zero

well I've decided you can't polish a :shit:

So rather tha file this one in the round filing cabinet, I've decided to handle it with care and hopefully get it to the finish line as is. :poke:

So I'm not going to rework the spine rivets, and just paint and decal it as is. it won't be a great model but hopefully among others it will look okay (of sorts)

Heres the problems

left side

359013529.jpg

Right side

359013523.jpg

Shame I was not building the Titanic, Huh!

All I can say is I squeezed the cockpit in to tight, and the plastic has given way due to age

The Way forward

Hopefully to nurse it over the finish line, I've superglued the fault area, but i don't think they will like me reworking the rivets on the spine, so I'm going to pass on that. hopefully with glue, Paint, Klear, Decals, and more klear, it should hold together, and we will have a finished mustang, but sadly not the great one I wanted to build.

Anyway, Paint is on, as is the first layer of Klear (ready for decals)

359013512.jpg

Hopefully we can limp over the finish line in the next couple of days.

Dave