1/35 Tamiya Jeep

AndyL

Thanks for the kind comments. I looked at getting the Ultracast driver, but they're hard to source at the moment.

As to getting ambushed - not quite, but nearly. I've been inspired to use the basis on an interview I did with a Normandy Campaign veteran, which I will post in full with the finished figures and base. You'll get the idea when you read it ;)

Right, Jeep and driver offered up together, but not fixed in place until after the weathering to make it look worn. Just need to add the painted cargo, paint on shoulder flashes and position the right arm and steering wheel. Oh, and glaze the screen!

grimbosq056.jpg

Nearly completed another German figure - this one in an Oak Leaf pattern smock and Italian camouflage trousers. I have to add his personal equipment, and fit his MP40. Then I can start toning down the colours and make him look a bit more 'war weary'

grimbosq055.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Right, Jeep and driver offered up together, but not fixed in place until after the weathering to make it look worn.......

Don't make it too worn Andy, it was probably straight out of the showroom (well a field in Kent) on D-Day!!

Jeep 95% done...got to glue the figure in and position the drivers arm on the steering wheel yet. Oh joy. Not.

As the Jeep is depicting an event on August 7th 1944, it's dusty and worn, with an overspray of Buff, and highlighted with Humbrol Khaki.

grimbosq063.jpg

Now to crack on with the figures and sort a base out!

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Right, it's done...but I'll post some better pics later when the light is a tad better.

The scenario was inspired by an interview with the late Captain John Hammond OBE, of the 7th Btn Royal Norfolk Regiment, when I was researching the manuscript for a book on the battle of Grimbosq. Part of Operation Totalize, it took place between August 7th and 9th.

Captain Hammond said: “I was ordered to check on the situation at the Brieux Crossroads by Brigade HQ, who were insistent that the area was in our hands, and supported by a Troop of Churchill tanks.

Heading south from our position, we approached the crossroads (it was starting to get light ) when we observed some figures stood in, and by, the road. It was only when we were literally upon them that we realised they were Germans. I don’t know who was more surprised, them or us! I ordered the driver to put his foot down and drive on through , scattering some in the process. However they reacted first, and opened fire, hitting the jeep, with the result that we crashed into a ditch, and all of us were wounded, luckily the wounds were relatively slight. Of course we were captured, and it was with some trepidation that we saw the SS runes on the collars, however, they treated us with respect and saw to our injuries.

While we were held prior to them evacuating us, the artillery started up again for the day, with some getting decidedly close. They had taken our helmets away from us, and we politely asked if we could have them back considering the situation, and with much hilarity on their part, they gave them back!”

I have taken a bit of artistic licence - only one driver, where the real one had four on board....dunno if I quite got it right overall, but I'm happy with it...

grimbosq074.jpg

grimbosq075.jpg

grimbosq077.jpg

Comments and down right ridicule welcomed! Thansk for looking, and the kind comments during this build.