1/35 Tamiya Jeep

AndyL

I'll be starting this one in the next three weeks after I've cleared the bench of existing builds! I'm employing the 'make it up as I go along' method for this one. Stay tuned :winkgrin:

Edited by AndyL

If you're using the driver, don't put the steering wheel on 'til last Andy, otherwise he's a bugger to get his feet round the steering column. Plus watch out for the wing mirror, the sprue attachment is on the stem and is quite fragile.

Doug - thanks for the heads up on the driver. I intend to use that figure, plus cobble together a passenger...and a few SS Panzergrenadiers to make things a tad interesting ;)

Steven - yeah, the new tool offering by Tamiya is lovely...just need to do it justice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here's the main items in my GB entry -

grimbosq046.jpg

Though I am really keen to locate a pair of British figures to go in it, and modify the Jeep somewhat. The aim, initially, is to recreate a real event, as recalled to me some years ago :D

If I can't find any suitable ones, I'll sort out some spare heads, Milliput, and modify some of the figures I already have in the spares box.

Oh the ease of this kit...

grimbosq086.jpg

30 minutes of snipping, sanding and glueing gets me here...I'm going to raid my Tamiya Bren Gun Carrier for weapons and cargo, and see about utilising a couple of the figures from it. Looks like I'll lave to razor saw them to get them to fit, but it'll be worth it.

Very nice indeed Daz...in fact since I took to pic, the bonnet and front bumper is on, and the towing attachment at the back...

Must walk away from it or there'll be nowt else to do :lol:

Edited by AndyL

Looking extremely good so far.

I built one of these about 18 months ago. Ease of fit and build. It took longer to paint.

With the figures Andy, instead of chopping them about, saw about 3/4 of the way through and then gently heat over a small candle until plastic softens. Remould into the pose you want, then use a little filler to plug any gaps. In theory you won't lose much detail or appendage.

• 3 months later...

Right, I've actually done some to this...

Jeep 95% done, and will get it all painted up tomorrow. I've selected the figures I'm planning to use - one Tamiya and a couple of Dragon SS Grenadiers. I've since primed up the figures, and will begin painting them tomorrow as well. One will be in a combination of Italian Pattern camo trousers and Oak Leaf Smock, with the others with Pea Pattern outfits.

The jeep driver has had the lower legs remodelled with Magisculpt to hide the US gaiters, and a new belt and webbing will be added using paper reinforced with CA glue. I've got a set of Hornet British heads coming, and I've sorted out the cargo for the back of the Jeep.

grimbosq021.jpg

More pics tomorrow...ta for looking.

Your wish is my command, Mish!

Got the paint on the Jeep...

grimbosq027.jpg

And started the task of the Pea Pattern camo on the SS Grenadiers...too many little dots to do all at once! Method is black primer for the figure, base brown, followed by 'islands' of black green, 'islands' and first dots of tan, a few patches of light green, and more dots of black green. Seams and creases to be accentuated with sepia ink.

grimbosq030-1.jpg

Got the heads started. Yep, looks like the local tribal headhunters have paid a visit! Once again, black primer, highlighted with white, and dry brushed flesh over the top to make the basic colour, prior to shading.

grimbosq033-1.jpg

More tomorrow if the new Humbrol enamels dry. Had to break out my really old ones and use them. Much better tbh!

Thanks for looking.

Andy

Edited by AndyL

Cheers for the comments!

Have been working on the Jeep driver. I had to convert the supplied American to resemble a British driver. So, with Magisculpt, paper stiffened with CA, and lead foil, I've come up with this -

grimbosq051.jpg

The head is from a set by Hornet, and the figure is painted in Humbrol acrylics and enamels. Bit more detail painting and a bit if dry brushing here and there, and he's done.

Thanks for looking.

Fabulous work Andy....:worthy:

Did you know Ultracast do a British/Canadian driver for this kit?, although your driver looks pretty good.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/35/031/default.htm

If Andy's Jeep's being ambushed, the driver probably needs to be a bit more focussed on the job in hand LOL!!