Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2

Stephen

Brilliant! My bank manager is just going to love me. I've just shelled out for two TSR 2s. On second thoughts he's a banker isn't he? :hmmm: and indirectly I'm his boss now! :wicked: Model shop here I come!

Martin

Hey Bex, how the hell can you build a B(I)6 from this kit please??

Tony :clif:

Not to steel Bex's thunnder but IIRC the B(I)6 was a B2 with increase fuel capacity which necessitated a stronger u/c which resulted in different pattern main wheels so hopefully Airfix have catered for this. In addition, I believe that a small amount of extra scribing would be required to represent the new fuek tanks in the wing leading edges (I think). Not too hard. I believe that when Aeroclub issued their B2 & B(I)6 kits the wheels were the only difference!

Edited by Graham T

Don't forget also that the B(I)6 has the longer more pointed engine engine 'nibs' than the B2.

Regards

Mark

Not to steel Bex's thunnder but IIRC the B(I)6 was a B2 with increase fuel capacity which necessitated a stronger u/c which resulted in different pattern main wheels so hopefully Airfix have catered for this. In addition, I believe that a small amount of extra scribing would be required to represent the new fuek tbaks in the wing leading edges (I think). Not too hard. I believe that when Aeroclub issued their B2 & B(I)6 kits the wheels were the only difference!

Don't forget also that the B(I)6 has the longer more pointed engine engine 'nibs' than the B2.

Regards

Mark

Indeedy - you can get a set in resin from Aviation Workshop I think to make the necessary changes

I understand and agree with all of that and would add the B(I)6 had a triple starter while the B2's was a double, necessitating different nacelles as well as engine fronts. Are these parts included in the kit? if so, great, and why was the kit not marketed as a B2/B(I)6; If not, how many people are willing to rob theirB(I)8 kit and remodel the engine fronts to depict the later model?

Ditto on what the others said.....

....and some B(I)6's featured the belly gun pack - similar to that on the B(I)8

Just noted that it has 213 Sqn markings in the kit AND says on the box B(I)6!!!

I know that the B(I)8 and PR9 sprues contain the different wheels, so this boxing should have them too...so you can build the B2 (or derivatives) AND B6 (and derivatives) - good news!!

AND anyone wanting to build a PR3 or 7 (Rich?) now's your chance - just add the 14" extension to either B2 or B6 respectively and bob's your whatname......

I know that the B(I)8 and PR9 sprues contain the different wheels, so this boxing should have them too...so you can build the B2 (or derivatives) AND B6 (and derivatives) - good news!!

AND anyone wanting to build a PR3 or 7 (Rich?) now's your chance - just add the 14" extension to either B2 or B6 respectively and bob's your whatname......

That is good news and goes some way to answering my questionin my earlier post today. I wonder if the different nacelles are included? It sounds as though there will be a fair amount of spare plastic in the box after the kit is finished.

Hey Bex, how the hell can you build a B(I)6 from this kit please??

Change the engines, landing gear, add fuel tanks to the wings, different instrument panels, check the angle of the bomb aimers flat screen in the nose and pinch the gun pack from the B(i) 8 kit.

Not to steel Bex's thunnder but IIRC the B(I)6 was a B2 with increase fuel capacity which necessitated a stronger u/c which resulted in different pattern main wheels so hopefully Airfix have catered for this. In addition, I believe that a small amount of extra scribing would be required to represent the new fuek tanks in the wing leading edges (I think). Not too hard. I believe that when Aeroclub issued their B2 & B(I)6 kits the wheels were the only difference!

As far as a 1:1 scale Cranberry youre correct & the engines were uprated. As for Aeroclub, havent seen the kits.

Regards

Mark

Correct, this is due to the RA 7 having a triple breech starter where as the B2's RA3 had only a single breech starter.

Ditto on what the others said.....

....and some B(I)6's featured the belly gun pack - similar to that on the B(I)8

Bill, youre spot on, only B (i)6 's & B(i)8's had the gun pack & cut out bomb bay, both were the same bits of kit.

I understand and agree with all of that and would add the B(I)6 had a triple starter while the B2's was a double, necessitating different nacelles as well as engine fronts. Are these parts included in the kit? if so, great, and why was the kit not marketed as a B2/B(I)6; If not, how many people are willing to rob theirB(I)8 kit and remodel the engine fronts to depict the later model?

As far as the kits go Tony I cant comment, however the B2 had a SINGLE breech starter and the RA3 was smaller than the uprated RA7.

Thats great news Bill :yahoo:

How do we build a T-4?

Stephen

Easy, take a B2, add two pilot seats, 2 IP's, 2 control columns & a canopy with 2 DV windows, then add a solid nose, and then paint to which ever flavour tickles your fancy :yahoo:

Bex

How do we build a T-4?

Stephen

Add a solid nose, an additional control column, add a few instruments, a swing seat in the cockpit for the instructor (it swings upwards to allow access to the rear, and a new rain disperal section on the canopy) - EASY!!! Paint it in Signal Red/White and Light Aircraft Grey! Job done!!!

Oops Just saw Bex's post....ah well at least I added a bit about the instructors seat....

Edited by Bill Clark

A few further questions:

-Based on what has been said if the kit has the B.6 nacelles and wheels, I assume you'd still need to do the scribing on the wing for the fuel tanks, so you can "almost" build a B.6 out of the box. Is that correct?

-Are the tip tanks correct? I've seen a bit about this but don't recall if it was Airfix or CA's tip tanks that were incorrect.

-Do you think anyone will do a T.17/A or T.11/19 conversion. I'd do the later myself if I had a lathe as I assume the radome and forward fuselage changes are perfectly round.

-Does anyone know the changes to build a E.15 ? I understand this is a B.2 with different aerials but is there an easy way to identify them from the B.2 ? If not then...

-Is there a good serial number reference for versions? I appreciate it would get a bit complex as some Canberras would have been two or more versions during their life time.

-If building a PR.7 (I'm interested in 100 Sqn aircraft hence the E.15 question above) where would the "plug" need to be? Also what other changes are required for the Pr.7?

Cheers,

Ed

A few further questions:

-Based on what has been said if the kit has the B.6 nacelles and wheels, I assume you'd still need to do the scribing on the wing for the fuel tanks, so you can "almost" build a B.6 out of the box. Is that correct?

You could cheat and just add the fuel caps to the wings, unless you have some very detailed photos of the panel lines.

-Are the tip tanks correct? I've seen a bit about this but don't recall if it was Airfix or CA's tip tanks that were incorrect.

I havent seen the kit, but, real tip tanks are all the same

-Do you think anyone will do a T.17/A or T.11/19 conversion. I'd do the later myself if I had a lathe as I assume the radome and forward fuselage changes are perfectly round.

Now that would be nice

-Does anyone know the changes to build a E.15 ? I understand this is a B.2 with different aerials but is there an easy way to identify them from the B.2 ? If not then...

I'll do some digging after dinner

-Is there a good serial number reference for versions? I appreciate it would get a bit complex as some Canberras would have been two or more versions during their life time.

UK Serials on the web or better yet, Canberra, The Operational Record by Robert Jackson ISBN 1 85310 049 8

-If building a PR.7 (I'm interested in 100 Sqn aircraft hence the E.15 question above) where would the "plug" need to be? Also what other changes are required for the Pr.7?

The plug is 14 inches in 1:1 scale, is between the wing leading edge & pressure bulkhead. Also you need 5 fuel tanks across the fuselage top, with No.6 tank forward of the flare bay. The bay was shortened to include No.6 Tank, then you need to scribe the various camera bays and extra access hatches.

Cheers,

Ed

My answers in red bold.

HTH

Bex

Thanks Bill and Bex for you help and clarification. Let's hope the high part count in the kit according to the Airfix web site (182 - I've just checked again) means that there are th correct bits in the box to build all of the versions mentoined.

The Aeroclub kits also took into account the starter breech diferences.