Major event dates during D-Day for the timespan of the GB

AnonymousDFB1

Tuesday June 6th D-Day

In the Early hours Elements of the British 6th Airborne Div land at 'Pegasus' and 'Horsa' Bridges crossing the Caen canal and River Orne respectively. Elements of the American 82nd and 101st Airborne land inland from Utah beach.

06:30 Utah and Omaha Beaches along with Point Du Hoc are attacked by American forces.

07:25 Gold & Sword Beatches are attacked by the British.

07:45 Juno Beach is attacked by the Canadians.

Monday June 12th D+6 till Thursday 15th June D+9

Saw the Villers-Bocage campaign.

Monday June 12th D+6

The Mulberry Harbours and the Pluto undersea pipeline were in use.

Saturday 24th June D+18 till Friday 39th June D-24

Operation Epsom

Saw the Americans heading for Cherbourg and later St Lo and the British geared up for another attempt to take Caen.

Friday 7th July D+31 till Sunday 9th July D+33

Operation Charnwood

The British and Canadians take Caen and the surrounding countryside.

Monday 3rd July D+27 till Wednesday 19th July D+43

Battle for St Lo

After bitter fighting the American pushed forward on a broad front taking St Lo in the east and La Haye-du Puits in the west.

Tuesday 18th July D+42 till Friday 21st July D+45

Operation Goodwood

Saw the British and Canadians push south from Caen and the Americans break out from the Brocage country and push south.

Tuesday 25th July D+49 till Monday 31st July D+55

Operation Cobra

The big push south, commonly know as "The Breakout" Saw the capture of Avranches.

Monday 7th August D+62 till Tuesday 8th August D+63

Operation Luttich

A small and ill conceived counter attach by the Germans which gail very little ground and was at best a small delaying operation.

Monday 7th August D+62 till Wednesday 16th August D+71

Operations Totalise & Tractable

Saw a big advance South and East in which the Allies dealt two big blows to the Germans.

Sunday 13th August D+68 till Monday 21st August D+76

"The Falaise Pocket"

Saw the Allies in a classic pincer operation. However the Germans was able to get a lot of men and equipment out of the 'pocket' before it was finally sealed.

Saturday 19th August D+74 till Friday25th August D+80

The push to Paris and the liberation of Paris.

Although the actual Liberation is just outside our timeframe the reaching of the Seine is seen as the conclusion of the Battle of Normandy.

Edited by Mish

Bocage not Brocage!

Seriously, I have a fairly extensive library and if I can be of assisstance in any way, particuarly for British Armour/Aircraft for the period just PM me. I hope to join in with a Sherman, type do be decided.

Phil