P-38 decals

gcn

Does anyone know of decal sheets for a D-Day P-38 in 1/48. I have the Academy box (the one with several versions) in the stash gathering dust.

The only one i've seen so far is for Robert Olds mount on Hannats website for a P-38J

Thanks

Does anyone know of decal sheets for a D-Day P-38 in 1/48. I have the Academy box (the one with several versions) in the stash gathering dust.

The only one i've seen so far is for Robert Olds mount on Hannats website for a P-38J

Thanks

On the basis that Dollittle had every plane in the 8th air Force in the air on 6th June I'm planning on using decals for a plane just prior to D-Day and slapping Stripes on it... :whistle:

On D-day, the 8th Air Force operated four P-38 groups (20, 55, 364 and 479) and the 9th Air Force (tactical) had three (367, 370 and 474), plus reconnaissance units flying F-4 and F-5 "photo joes."

I've got the Sky Models decals (P-38 Lightning Part 1) which have decals for something like 16 different aircraft including 367th, 370th and 474th FGs and the Superscale ones (48-581) which have markings for another two from the 367th FG. My problem is that I wanted to model an aircraft in Olive Drab/Neutral Gray and the decals I have are all for Natural Metal ones. I can't believe they took all the paint off existing aircraft????

With the decals I've got I'm probably going to have to do a natural metal aircraft which will be exciting!!! I've never used Alclad and I'm not sure I want to use this as a guinea pig - might just use Silver paint...

I thought the Academy kit had a D-Day striped version anyway?

Edited by timbo33

timbo: good premise, alot of the painting was done in a hurry as well so the 'stripes" often were a bit sloppy...

D-Day Cheers,

ggc

don't think my one has a stripey version, but I will check again.

Alclad is easy to use. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. I tend to use Tamiya gloss black as the primer rather than the Alclad black primer as I've rather it has the tendancy to never dry.

i'm off to MK Sunday so hopefully there'll be summit there

don't think my one has a stripey version, but I will check again.

Yes it's worth checking if the markings are for one of the Fighter Groups I've listed above as it's likely that theye would have worn invasion stripes during the period

Alclad is easy to use. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. I tend to use Tamiya gloss black as the primer rather than the Alclad black primer as I've rather it has the tendancy to never dry.

i'm off to MK Sunday so hopefully there'll be summit there

I'm going too - might pick up some alclad then..... :confused:

Edited by timbo33

I've got one of the photo-birds to do and I'm going to have a go at the rather odd 'Haze' paint scheme...should be fun

I do love the stripey ones though so don't forget to post some piccies for us GCN when you've done yours ok?

I've managed to come across plenty of colour piccies of these birds although there is an argument that PRU blue was used a lot of the time but that seems too dark compared to my photos. I'm quite tempted to stripe the wings as well as the booms cause I guess from day 1 they would have been fully striped up

Thanks for the link Tim netmerchants have those decals as well as a cockpit and wheels that i'm after so I might just buy from them