Welcome

Welcome to the Alan Hall Memorial Group Build. Britmodellers of a 'certain age' need no introduction to Alan Hall, but others may need a short briefing. Alan Hall edited Airfix Magazine in the early years, then went on to found Aviation News and Scale Aircraft Modelling. From the early days he saw the possibility of taking a kit and converting it into different versions, in some cases different types! This Group Build is intended to be a celebration of the many conversion articles he wrote, mostly using basic tools, balsa wood (with dope mixed with talcum powder as grain filler), cockpits detailed with card and scrap, spares box extensively employed and canopies crash moulded over a hot stove.

The rules will be simple: from a list of conversion articles pick one you would like to do, if you have access to your own copy of the article fine, if not we will get one to you. Builds must be undertaken in the spirit of the article. To this end no resin, photo-etched, vacform or other such goodies that we have become accustomed to will be permitted. This is intended to be retro-modelling and getting back to basics!

We have a list of Airfix Magazine articles already available and during the course of next week I will be checking through the SAM archives and posting them up. If you have something in mind now then register your interest in this thread so that we can see who's going to be joining in. I haven;t made up my mind yet but will be building something.

peebeep

I'd be interested in trying this one:

Douglas Skyraider to AEW Skyraider – Mar 1969

There's an Airfix kit of the A-1H dated back to that year, I'm guessing that to be the most appropriate kit to use. As for finding one that's another matter!

Edited by Stebos

Can I register my interest in the Hart to Osprey conversion here as an entry Peebeep?

Also quite keen on the Fury to Nimrod but will keep that one for later if time permits.

With thanks to John (above) I've received the plans for the Lancaster to York conversion. I shall post here and on UAMF.

I have never done anything like this before so it should be fun. With regards to the talc and dope mixture - what type of talc is recommended? I don't want you all laughing at my model on the table at Telford because it smells like a tarts boudoir...

Cheers

Al.

I will be doing the Searchwater Seaking from the March 1984 Scale Aircraft Modelling. It will also be posted on UAMF or vice versa.

Cheers

Edited by Jeff S

Roll call update:

peebeep

John Ratzenberger

Stebos

Paul Bradley

desmojen

Col.

beany

Jeff S

dswoofie

It would be nice if we get a few more joining in. Perhaps those of you observing may get inspired once some builds get underway and there's really no need to be scared about whittling some balsa!

peebeep

Roll call update:

peebeep

John Ratzenberger

Stebos

Paul Bradley

desmojen

Col.

beany

Jeff S

dswoofie

It would be nice if we get a few more joining in. Perhaps those of you observing may get inspired once some builds get underway and there's really no need to be scared about whittling some balsa!

With regards to the talc and dope mixture - what type of talc is recommended? I don't want you all laughing at my model on the table at Telford because it smells like a tarts boudoir...

As if we'd do a thing like that eh? :wicked: You should find that the stink of the dope (well named, don't sniff too hard!) will easily overcome any odour arising from the talc, but FWIW Johnson's baby talc is pretty innocuous (he says, recalling slapping it onto kid's bottoms as a young dad)

peebeep

Haven't forgotten this!

At the club meeting tonight someone is pretty sure they have the Airfix mag I'm after, as well as a spare kit they'll let me have. They also have some vacform & resin conversion parts I can borrow to help with getting the scratch built additions done.

I've found some suitable decals as well, so looks like I'm in business! Bit swamped with unfinished builds right now (2 at decaling stage, 3 primed and ready for paint, 3 under construction!) and the D Day GB starts this week too!

I wanted to try my own resources over getting the article first, if there's a problem I'll be happy to get a copy through here. Seems sorted for now though ^_^

I know that feeling of getting swamped Stebos, but the Skyraider AEW - great choice

which markings are you going to use?

I'll know that when I get a set of decals in my paws! It'll either be the model alliance sheet or the model art one. I'm leaning towards the model art sheet as it's cheaper and has Suez markings.

Im a bit confused, I thought we'd already been through this, put our names down and picked an article..

There's no problem if anybody wants to do their own thing, in any case the list may not be complete. Just say your in, what the build is to be and which article you're using for reference - as long as Alan Hall was the author.

peebeep

Hi Stebos

I'll know that when I get a set of decals in my paws! It'll either be the model alliance sheet or the model art one. I'm leaning towards the model art sheet as it's cheaper and has Suez markings.

Totoru has very big paws!

i will be very interested in your build- would be a great future profect for a HMS Victorious Skyraider, and it is likely to be the only way i will get one- but it will be a very long way off.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing about this GB is how it instantly given impetus to positive ideas.

I have the Falklands set and love the Argentinian Scooter colours- but the kit is the basic Airfix one and lacks the avionics lump on the spine.

I came across some 1/48 scale drawings and immediately thought that i could make it a la AWH! Whereas before i was looking to find a suitable kit.

Another prospective project to look forward to!

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

is anyone playing this game any more?

(me included)

going to order the SAM Hunter datafile soon to help with reference but want to complete at least one of the SCW builds before embarking

also was wondeing if i have to crash mould a canopy, could i not in theory do same for the other major conversion components with the balsa?

just a thought- if not acceptable is no problem :D