1/48 Tornado GR4

Blimey that was quick!

I have made decals before, but something like that is way beyond me. I suppose we can only wish, eh? I console myself that there are about 9 million decal options for the Tamiya F-16C, wouldn't want anyone to think i was complaining or anything :rant:

Yip agree with you guys, I don't know why the 32nd Tonka has been ignored. Shame on you UK decal manufacturers :angrysoapbox.sml:

Great build there Justin, lovely looking Tonka

Graham.

Edited by Graham

• 1 month later...

Finished!

She's been 98% completed for the last 2 weeks but I haven't been able to find the time to finish the last 2% until now. I know I need to work on my photography skills so any advice is welcomed, always learning.

Anyway here she is, 'Shiney Two':

P1030405.jpg

P1030404.jpg

P1030406.jpg

P1030407.jpg

P1030408.jpg

P1030319.jpg

P1030325.jpg

Edited by jussie202
  • Like 2

That is one really nicely executed build with lovely markings only wish they did em in 32nd.

One observation though if I may, a bit of a spotterish thing actually, nothing at all to do with your execution, Shiny Two was / is ZD 748 which is a "standard" GR4 not a GR4a which means there are no SLIR windows on its flanks.

DSC_0087.jpg

• 9 months later...

One observation though if I may, a bit of a spotterish thing actually, nothing at all to do with your execution, Shiny Two was / is ZD 748 which is a "standard" GR4 not a GR4a which means there are no SLIR windows on its flanks.

(I think he knows - I wanted to do the same)

Brilliant build - Gourgous Bird !

Edited by IXGR1

• 3 years later...

This article / build is just what I wanted! Just found three Airfix Tornado's I have had for some time in 1/48th. Not much to build as around 80 parts and she's done. This model looks truly superb and is an inspiration to me to do the best I can with the one's I have. i have not built any kits for some years but have found many in my Mother's attic and it's like a model shop in my room!!!

Anyway, thanks for this and hope I can do as well as you have..:-}

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great build and finish but are the slats upside down?

cheers Bob

Sorry I meant are the flaps on upside down?

cheers Bob

According to this article and photos of the real thing, jussie202 has done correct with Shiney Two, unlike the fellow in this article:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/74688-tornado-gr4-617-sqn/page-2

Just a bit of info for jussie202 if you see this, II AC Sqn based at RAF Marham in Norfolk was and I believe still is a Regiment Squadron in that it's main role is to back up the regiment troops with close air support and Recon. Originally outfitted with the Tornado GR1A and the GR4A, these versions carry the SLIR (Sideways Looking Infra Red) cameras. I can only assume however that given operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and others, that the role of II AC Sqn would have been adapted to cover all ground operations for all NATO troops and to cater for the use of more modern equipment such as RAPTOR, Storm Shadow, Brimstone, TIALD and the new BOZ pods.

• 1 year later...