1/48 Tornado GR4

After about 2 years of modelling I've decided now is the time to start posting. I was going to build a Tornado GR4 anyway but then I notice this group build, the perfect oppotunity to start.

My Tornado will be based around the Italeri 1/48 IDS model using additional parts from the Airfix kit, the Neomega cockpit and the Paragon slats and flaps.

I haven't decided upon the final scheme yet but I have Model Alliance sheet MA-128 (Anniversary Tonkas)on the way.

The 2 kits I'm using:

P1030209.jpg

My first attempt with resin:

P1030206.jpg

The Neomega cockpit (very nice) with a basic layer of paint:

P1030189.jpg

Under wing stores: I decided to start early on these because I normally complete the basic aircraft and then can't be bothered to finish it with the stores:

P1030186.jpg

P1030212.jpg

The cockpit weathering process in full flow. I've used gouache water based artist paint for the wash:

P1030214.jpg

The cockpit completed (note the ejection seat obviously haven't been finished):

P1030222.jpg

P1030218.jpg

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Justin

• Like 1

Cockpit looks fantastic, what colour did you use for the base? I'm thinking the lighting for the photo has given it a green-ish tint.

Certainly off to a cracking start, I've been building kits on and off for nearly 30 years and mine aint anywhere as good as this!

Keep it comin.

Rgds,

Eng

Cockpit looks fantastic, what colour did you use for the base? I'm thinking the lighting for the photo has given it a green-ish tint.

Certainly off to a cracking start, I've been building kits on and off for nearly 30 years and mine aint anywhere as good as this!

Keep it comin.

Rgds,

Eng

Eng,

I used Tamiya XF 20 Medium Grey. Not sure if it is the right colour but it's all I had.

I might get an update out later but if not it won't be until next weekend as I'm away with work.

Justin

Very nice work,just one niggly thing is the Navs CRT displays dont look right to me,they should sit flat,not angled down....

P1030222.jpg

I think you're right, I hadn't noticed. Don't think my skills are up to changing it even if I had noticed.

You could 'hide' the CRT screens with strips of green painted thin card cut to shape & glued in place as the are 'glare screens' fitted on Telic to them.

(Photo's in the GR4 reference sticky)

Use the Airfix shoulder pylons if you're doing an RAF jet,the are fairings over the sway braces that are not on other nations (except S.Arabia & us)

See the photo's in the "weapon's reference" sticky,

Oh,the cockpit floor in the GR4 is black non slip,I used very fine glass paper cut to shape & glued in place (no painting needed!) for this.

Looking very good so far.

Merv.

Time for the next instalment...

I've been busy at work recently so I haven't progressed as mucha as I'd hoped.

I've also received my decal set and have decided I will probably make Shiny Two. My

only issue being that I want to load it out with hindenberg tanks and the raptor pod, but

I've only seen pics of it with the smaller tanks and I don't know if 2 Sqn have a recce

role. Anybody know the answer, your thoughts are appreciated.

P1030224.jpg

P1030225.jpg

P1030226.jpg

P1030229.jpg

P1030231.jpg

P1030232.jpg

The intakes aren't great so I'm copying Mish's technique to create the soft engine blanks.

I've used good old bounty kitchen paper because it's nice and strong even when wet!!!

P1030249.jpg

P1030250.jpg

After a busy weekend I still seem to have made little progress. I am however on the verge of painting now. Just waiting for the correction fin and exhausts to arrive (hopefully Tuesday).

Here are the latest pics.

I'm gutted because I spent ages sanding the tops of the intakes down to a smooth finish only to then read that they are supposed to have a gap at the top. Oh well I'm committed to having them sealed now. I'll remember for my next tornado!

P1030252.jpg

P1030253.jpg

P1030256.jpg

From the airfix kit, seams still to be cleaned up:

P1030257.jpg

Just in case anyone was interested in what the Paragon Slats and Flaps instructions look like:

P1030258.jpg

Hmm, interesting. My Paragon flaps n' slats instruction sdon't look like that - an older version perhaps?

Build looks great so far jussie.

James

Not sure James, I only bought them from modelsforsale (I highly recommend using Vince if you don't already, a fine service) just before christmas.

As for my build it has stalled at the painting stage. I thought Tamyia XF24 and 53 would be good matches for the colour. Turns out I was wrong, gutted. I'm currently waiting for my order of Xtracylic to arrive, that'll sort it. In the mean time I'm progressing with my Jaguar.

Nice progress Justin, coming along nicely.

Hmm, interesting. My Paragon flaps n' slats instruction sdon't look like that - an older version perhaps?

James

Are you doing 1/32 or 1/48? Instructions are diferent for both scales.

B)

I have a old set of 1/72 Paragon? Tornado wings which I bought over 15 years ago from the model shop in Shirley I'm going to recycle on my next build,just need some minor repair work on the dropped flaps.

Merv

Edited by spike7451

Nice progress Justin, coming along nicely.

Are you doing 1/32 or 1/48? Instructions are diferent for both scales.

B)

They are the 1/48 instructions. Cheers for the comments Neil. Your resin goes together really well, I'm a big fan.

Finally managed to get some serious work done on this bad boy.

Since my last update I've managed to get hold of Paragon resin for the fin, wheels and exhaust, see below. I fitted all of that and started painting. I thought my Tamyia greys (XF 53 and 24) would do the job. To start with the base layer grey (XF 53 I think) looked spot on but then something changed (don't know what) and the true colour started to appear from the end of my airbrush. I think this was all to do with left over black paint in the airbrush. Anyway I made several attempts to replicate what I was orginally doing but it wasn't working. I had to buy the xtracrylic 004 and 036.

This stuff was just perfect which made me very happy as I could now get to where I am today in short order. What do you think? Better photos to follow.

P1030259.jpg

P1030261.jpg

P1030262.jpg

P1030263.jpg

P1030266.jpg

P1030272.jpg

P1030276.jpg

• Like 1

M8 youve nailed that The pre shading has worked a treat, and as for those decals, well they are awsome! Just a shame we cant get them for 1/32, now that would be something!

and before anyone says, Im rubbish at creating my own decals!

Keep up the good work .