Just about finished Spit MKIX

Beautiful job, but why is Douglas Bader standing next to Johnny Johnson's Spitfire??? :winkgrin:

Also love the diorama base - any tips for we novices? :closedeyes:

Aw, wow! That is a real beaut. The weathering of the leading edges and the exhaust staining is fantastic.

As the guy's have asked already, I'll add my request for a rundown on how you did your muddy grass, it's bloody brilliant and just what I had in mind for my 1/48 Albatros D.V!

Stunning Spit, love it :worthy:

Eng

Hi Guys

thank you for the comments I will try to answer the points one at a time

Beautiful job, but why is Douglas Bader standing next to Johnny Johnson's Spitfire??? :winkgrin:

Also love the diorama base - any tips for we novices? :closedeyes:

Unfortunately there is no figure suitable for Johnsonand I happened to have this figure painted so I thought I would use him to show the size of the aircraft, you are right it is Bader from fine moulds.

Excellent! How did you do the weathering on the leading edge and the invasion stripes? Looks fantastic!

Alex

This was achieved by careful dry brushing with the colour under the stripes until it achieved the desired effect.

Nice to see one built, John. Any major probs with the build ??

Ian

No real problems as long as you remember that this is a limited run kit and some filler will be needed in places1

Lovely Spitfire , a great build well done. Just one small nic pick , and it is a common mistake, the crow bar on the cockpit door is only painted red on restored Spitfires

most period photos show them cockpit green or black :unsure:

Thank you for that I will correct it at the earliest chance. I also had it pointed out to me the MKIX has a wooden prop so I will correct that too.

Absolutely excellent, and probably the most realistic base I've ever seen!

The base has attracted the most comments it is simple really. Take a piece of expanded insulation foam and lay down a thin layer of celluclay (Papydur) in Europe. this is mixed with woodland scenic base colour and a drop of white glue. Whilst drying sculpt the trough's with a suitable tool and let it dry. Once dry spray with scenic cement and sprinkle on the static grass, once dry add colour with pigments from your fav brand and there you have it, all tolled it took about three hours work and it was ultiolmately attached to a picture fram with the glass remobed. hope this helps

By the way I am going to do some bases like this in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 for Great North Roads who will produce it as a ready made base cast in plaster so watch his web site.

John..

Thank you for that I will correct it at the earliest chance. I also had it pointed out to me the MKIX has a wooden prop so I will correct that too.

John..

Don't let the term "wooden prop" throw you. They were made from laminations of wood, impregnated with resin, then bonded by pressure and heat. The l/e and tip had a protective sheathing of brass, then the face areas were covered with a fine mesh, which was covered, again, by a black plastic coating. Any weathering would have appeared as slight matting of the l/e, with, maybe, a hint of brass showing through, particularly near the tip. This comes courtesy of Ian Huntley, Scale Models, January 1977.

And your model's run through some standing water, which cleaned all the mud off the tyres, didn't it? ;)

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

That's plenty nice John... I'm very impressed with the base though... very realistic lookin'... Your own work too? If so, I'd love to see how it was done. :)