Fujimi 1/72 F-14A Screamin Eagles

Mal

Hi

Well at last I am going to make a start on my entry It's a Tomcat of VF-51 Screamin Eagles I picked this kit up on E-bay before Christmas at a knock down price.I haven't built a jet for ages and rarely build in 1/72 so this is unknown territory.The decals I've had lying around and thought It would be an ideal time to use them up.The decals are a Hasegawa after market sheet,the VF-51 scheme being an overall Gull Grey machine.A perverse choice as I prefer the Gull Grey over white schemes. Has anyone had any experience of these sheets? they seem to be printed to a higher quality than normal Hasegawa decals any comments would be appreciated,other than True Detail seats and Hasegawa decal sheet the kit will be OOB,what I find daunting is the number of parts, I am used to 1/48 fighters :yikes: so with no further ado I better get started .

The obligatory photos..........................

Tomcat.jpg

Tomcat4.jpg

Malcolm

...Has anyone had any experience of these sheets? they seem to be printed to a higher quality than normal Hasegawa decals any comments would be appreciated...

Malcolm

I have used the sheet for two of the options and they handled very well for me, just a few soaks of Microsol to get them to bed down. I didn't use the kits decals, for the US insignia from Experts Choice and the stencils from the CAM Hi-viz data sheet.

HS_F14A_018_006a.jpg

HS_F14A_021_009a.jpg

Well here goes my first entry into a group build.

To be different I started off with the engine nacelles, the nacelles halves join along bottom this gave a very weak joint which split on cleaning up, I reinforced the interior of the joints with super glue.....with hindsight I should of reinforced the joints with plasticard tabs.

Tomcat5.jpg

No problems assembling the main fuselage just checked everthing was square with nacelles.

Tomcat12.jpg

Tomcat7.jpg

I'd decided to model the Tomcat fully armed four Phoenix,two Sparrow and two Sidewinder,on checking my references it would appear operational F-14's rarely ever carry four Phoenix (normal load is two Phoenix three Sparrow and two Sidewinders) bit annoying as I'd drilled out the holes for the rear Phoenix pallets,no problem I thought to fill the four the holes with a drop of cyano! except when filling I dropped cyano on the underside of the fuslage by the righthand rear Phoenix mounting.After much cursing :wall: I cleaned up the mess but lost some of the surface detail.This could be covered up by installing the rear pallets and missiles but I would prefer not to install the rear missiles . Does anyone know if F-14's regularly operated with the rear pallets in place but empty,it's difficult to tell from the normal side view photograph

Tomcat8.jpg

No particular problen with the cockpit except for the True Detail seats being slightly larger than the kit seats.The front seat fits OK but to fit the rear seat I had to move the rear instrument panel forward by ~ 1mm on dry fitting everthing seems OK

I discarded the decals provided for the instrument panels and picked the detail out by brush, I also replaced the throttle quadrant.

Tomcat11.jpg

While detailling the cockpit I also made up pull cords for the ejection seats and removed the moulding seam that runs down the centre of the canopy.

In between doing the above I cleaned and made up the underwing (fuselage?) stores including the drop tanks.

Tomcat9.jpg

The next step is to make up the nose and attach it to the main fuselage hope it's a good fit :please:

I'd decided to model the Tomcat fully armed four Phoenix,two Sparrow and two Sidewinders

Ohhh yeah!!!! My favorite bird (next to the Phantom that is) in my favorite markings and looking good Mal keep those updates coming.

Cheers

Well having attached the cockpit and nacelles it's starting to look more like a Tomcat.

The left hand cockpit side was warped,along the nose wheel well, after a bit of a struggle managed to straighten it out,but still ended up using filler and plasticard tabs to straighten it out,at least it's not like a banana. Always seem to have problems building aircraft with separate noses I think that's why I stick with props.

Tomcat13.jpg

Tomcat14.jpg

Nose cone on,plus a bit of weight to keep the nose down,don't want a tail siter ejection seats and windscreen in place to see how they fitted

Tomcat16.jpg

Tomcat15.jpg

Polished out the moulding seam that was down the centre of the canopy,painted the missiles and undercoated the tail fins in preparation for the bare metal leading edges.

Tomcat18.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the flying surfaces on and the main painting completed this week.

Malcolm

Looking great Mal, i have one of these to do, but stalled as the RIO's console hood is missing from the kit!

Keep the pics coming!

Adam

• 1 month later...

Nearly finished I've still got to attach the undercarriage and put the final coat of varnish on I can't decide whether to finish it in semi gloss or gloss as in the late seventies USN Tomcats had a high gloss finish.

When removing the masks I pulled parts of gull grey and black off. I therefore had to strip the remaining paint and do a complete repaint of the whole aircraft. :wall: If I'd not been building for the group build I would of scrapped the model.

Tomcat21.jpg

Tomcat20.jpg

Tomcat22.jpg

Tomcat23.jpg

With a bit of luck the next set of photographs will appear in the gallery.

Malcolm

man thats a rockin Turkey ! and it sounds like its really tested you Mal that paint problem would have had me

throwing a hissyfit LOL

superbly done sir ! i have nothing but admiration for you 1/72 chaps

jim

• 4 weeks later...

Finished at last. I had no real problems with the build except for the issues with the paint peeling. I decided to go for a clean,semi gloss finish in keeping with the condition of these aircraft in the late seventies.

Thanks to everyone one for the positive comments.

Malcolm

Tomcat2.jpg

Tomcat4-1.jpg

Tomcat1.jpg

Tomcat3-1.jpg

Tomcat6-1.jpg

Tomcat5-1.jpg