P-51B "Big Mac Junior" *Finished*

KiwiSteve

Steve: That's a great looking Mustang... :speak_cool: ...are the markings with the kit or are you using after market decals...?

D-Day Cheers,

ggc

Steve: Great looking decals...thank's for the info.

D Day Cheers,

ggc

Is it done yet? :wicked:

Come one Boss that would be cheating :jump_fire: Mind you going off the 25% rule I could make a start :wicked: No no just kidding Mish, I've got to finish my Crusader before I go on holiday so "Big Mac" might have to wait till I get back :)

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful Cockpit detailing....Nice job so far :thumbsup:

I was surprised by the ejector pin marks on my recent Mustang build - especially some which are smack on the cockpit ribbing. Surprising of Tamiya, especially when the kit is otherwise so crisp and well sorted.

I took out the most obvious ones on mine with a glass fibre pen but as you say they don't show, especially with the canopy closed up.

Edited by timbo33

I've managed to make some progress this week, managed to get it closed up and the seems filled with CA and sand them smooth. Also rescribed where the detail had been taken off by the sanding.

Overall the seams where great and didn't require to much filling, but the wing root where it joins the fuselage was SWEET :worship: big ups to tamiya for that.

Next I'm going to spray with Alcalds Primer/Microfiller and see if there are any seams that need sorting out then it'll be on with the Alclad.

I do have a question for the Mustang boys, the inner gear doors the large roundish one was there a strip in the centre that wasn't painted in Zinc chromate or was it the other way around??? I've seen both and am now confused :hypnotised:

MustangProgess02.jpg

MustangProgess03.jpg

MustangProgess04.jpg

Those wheel wells look nice Steve

They came out better than I expected Mish, I used Spences method of going back over the raised detail and painting with the base colour using the side of your brush to highlight the detail and also used a good old wash to add some depth.

I'm still trying out new things but I really like the way the detail looks almost 3D with this painting method :)

I've managed to get the Alclad on, had a minor issue with the Alclad primer/mircofiller which said to spray it at 15 psi which turned out to to high and I got the sand paper effect. I sanded it down and sprayed a base coat of Alclad Aluminium, then I masked off various panels and sprayed Magnesium, Duraluminium, dark aluminium and airframe aluminium to try to get that tonal variation. I'm quite happy with the results but will need to get my surface prep sort of next time.

MustangProgess05.jpg

MustangProgess08.jpg

MustangProgess07.jpg

MustangProgess09.jpg

Should I now paint the invasion strips and OD or lay down a coat of klear to protect the Alcald then paint invasions strips?? :shrug:

Are you spraying OD on the wings too, or just the upper fuselage? It would seem odd to me to spray the fuselage but not the wings; on the other hand your panel differentiation looks spot-on. I'm not familiar with Alclad, but I presume it's similar to Testor's Metalcote, in which I would maybe not test the Klear over the metalcote on a piece of plastic card to see how it looks. The advantage, of course, is that it would protect the paint from adhering to the masking tape, and would not show fingerprints (metalcote would show fingerprints unless you wear gloves - the prints would buff out, though).

Cheers Brew yes I'm going to over paint the upper wing invasion strips in OD, the Alclad does seem to be very hardy and I don't seem to be leaving finger prints on it, I might try spraying straight over it and seeing how it goes :)

Lovely. Wish I could get alclad to spray so smooth! Interesting point on the primer, I've noticed that rough finish in a few spots myself. I figured I was spraying from too far away but I'll give a lower psi a try as well.

I've been a bit slack over the last week, but have managed to make some more progress, after receiving my new H&S Infinity airbrush this week I bashed on with the invasion strips and the olive drab anti glare and over spray of the upper invasion strips

It almost seemed a shame to spray over the strips as they came out sweet especially for my first go at them. I used a 50/50 mix of tamiya black and red brown for the black for the strip and Xtracrylix white for the white. The olive drab over spray was sprayed with xtracrylix olive drab then a very thin flash coat of faded olive drab to even everything out.

I need to do some touching up due to a little overspray or should I say me not checking my masking was complete, but other than that I'm really happy with the painting results and my new airbrush. :)

MustangProgess10.jpg

MustangProgess11.jpg

MustangProgess12.jpg

Steve, your Mustang is looking real good... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc