120mm German Tank Hunter Figure

This is looking great Mish and I'm taking notes ! Figure painting is one thing that I would really like to learn, armour models do not look right without crews, I have been buying lots of figures and even bought a load of Vallejo paints, but have not started work on them yet. Must give it a go when I finish the next armour model.

Cheers

Den

Den this is my first figure, I started by reading a couple off books on the subject. I borrowed them from the library as they are expensive. I can recommend the Osprey book. All I have done is put what I read into practice, I've also used some blending techniques I learned from art classes.

Den all the paint is Tamiya Acrylics apart from the metallic which is Citadel Boltgun.

The wood and leather effects I get by waiting for the base coat to go tacky then blending in the second colour a bit like dry brushing only with a little more paint. I don't know if this is a recognised technique but it works for me.

I think you've done a smashing job on this Mish - fair play to ya (as they say). Maybe a little more practice on the face painting so Mike doesn't criticise his lippy, but that's always been one of the hardest parts of figure painting. I wonder whether using oil paints to blend & highlight the face pigments might be an idea to try? What color did you use as a base for the skin tone?

What was the name of the book you got? I got one recently to see where figure painting had gone since I last did any, and was rather impressed with it. Osprey Modelling Scale Figures by Mark Bannerman was the one I got... I'm still to try any of the techniques out though, as I've not got any figures (apart from one bust) in my stash, other than a few pilots I don't yet need. :shrug:

Thanks Mike, the book was the Osprey one, not sure of author etc as I got it from the library.

Skin tone; base was Tamiya flesh and then various blends of that, flat red, white.

I'm not too sure on oil paints, I've been taking advice from (ehem another forum) and there appears to be a 50/50 split on acrylics and oils.

I'm going to do another one for sure.

Edited by Mish

I think that both have their place in figure painting. What I was planning on doing (if I ever get around to it) was using acrylics for the base colors, and use oils for the highlights & lowlights. Having highlighted with acrylics before, you have to be quick to blend them, whereas oils give you more time. I guess you have to be careful to avoid the whole thing turning into a turgid mess if you blend too much though.

Must stop talking about it now, as I'm getting tempted to try out my theories! :lol: