Historex Punch & Die set

Ant

Hi All,

I've been after a punch & die set for ages now, and finally decided to splash out on one. I went for the Historex set, as I couldn't find the Waldron one (which most people rave about) available in this country at a reasonable price. The service from Historex was excellent; I ordered via their website and it arrived very soon afterwards. I'm not sure I'm that impressed with the product though ...

My first impression was "Oh my god, it's tiny, I can't believe I've just paid 40 quid for that."

DSCN6445-600.jpg

It's seriously tiny ...

DSCN6446-600.jpg

My next impression was "Oh my god, it's not that well made either!" As looking at the punches, the four smallest ones are bent. I think this is likely due to the hardening process, but still ...

DSCN6447-600.jpg

DSCN6448-600.jpg

The feeling of disappointment was further reinforced when I tried to lift the clear perspex part, and found it very difficult. Initially, I thought this must be due to the tight tolerances of the machining, but then I realised it was more likely because of the two alignment pins not being parallel to each other ...

DSCN6455-600.jpg

It's not just a trick of the eye, I've checked the width of the pins at the base and the top with a vernier caliper and they're definitely out. However, the perspex plate will lift up enough to get plasticard in, so I decided to give it a try ...

DSCN6449-600.jpg

Low and behold, it works fine. This was done on very thin plasticard, with a cocktail stick for size comparison (I'm not sure of the card thickness right now, but it was very thin.) When I'm feeling braver, I'll try it out on something thicker.

One of the reasons I finally decided to get a punch set, was so that I could easily fix the sink marks in the new Revell Ju' 88 instrument panel ...

DSCN6451-600.jpg

And it worked a treat ...

DSCN6453-600.jpg

So, was it worth the £40? I don't think so to be honest. I think that considering the simplicity of the machining involved to make such an item and the cost of the materials, (I used to work in a tool-room, but no longer have access to the kit) I would have expected it either to be cheaper or the quality to be better. If you're considering a set, I'd have a good look around at alternatives before spending the cash. Micro-mart in the US do one and Roll Models (also in the US) are still supplying the Waldron one. I'm very tempted to get in touch with some model engineer buddies to see if they could produce a cheaper and better alternative.

This is the same punch ‘n die set that I use all the time.

I would seriously consider giving Historex a bell with regards the quality issues, and getting a replacement.

You’re right, something this expensive should not have the flaws you’ve pointed out. :fraidnot:

Mart

My little punches were bent too... work ok though, but you have to choose your card carefully, or the smaller ones tend to rip on one side, giving a bit of a ragged circle. I agree that it's expensive too... and mine was only about £33 when I got it :shrug:

i have been putting off getting one for ages - partly because i saw someone say the punches were easily bent

being a tad hamfisted at times i didn't want to risk blowing a relatively large amount of cash

have since read- on this forum i think- that jewellers hammers must be used - with nylon faces IIRC- and gently and with thin card.

could be the chap who complained on the other forum was a one off - but as i want to be able to scratch build interiors it might still be worth getting a set. The Waldron set is very expensive and seemingly impossible to get this side of the Atlantic

would you chaps recommend the historex set for scratching 1/72 instrument panels et al?

edit: sorry Ant -missed your comment below the pics was too busy admiring. altenatives seem to be plentiful Stateside

any recommendations in Blighty- have scoured the net but not found anything

if your mates could produce some there might be a market here.

Edited by walrus

No... Its smallest size is probably around the size of the largest disc from a dedicated punch & die set. There's also the issue of getting them out of the punch without damage (if you need the disc, rather than the hole).

No... Its smallest size is probably around the size of the largest disc from a dedicated punch & die set. There's also the issue of getting them out of the punch without damage (if you need the disc, rather than the hole).

Yeah, I see now - smallest (with additional punch for an extra 1.49) is 4/64" (but that's pretty damn small - would do for most 1/72 instruments). Hadn't thought about removing the disc...

Ayup...

Got mine from a stall on a boot a coupla years ago for a quid. Lovely they are... i was trying over on ATF to convince everyone that prices of tools were well over the top but no-one believes me.. 40 quid for bent punches is well out of order, IMO. you have my sympathy Ant. Second on my list are PE folders. and i need one soon... Anyone else think the same way? (Apart from Little-cars, obviously, 'cos he sells such items, although doubtless they are all quality Items from quality manafacturers...)

Edited by Fea

have since read- on this forum i think- that jewellers hammers must be used - with nylon faces IIRC- and gently and with thin card.
It may be better, but you don’t have to use a nylon headed hammer.

This is what I use:

010.jpg

Picked up from Squires, didn’t cost that much from what I remember (couple of quid?). I tend to use the flat side of the hammer rather than the actual head.

If the hammers’ not immediately available, I have been known to use a block of wood instead!

I’m certainly not that gentle (within reason) with it either! I’ve found that if you don’t give it a good tap, the plastic won‘t punch nicely.**

I have noticed that with the smaller sizes, you can just push the punch, holding it like a pen, with your fingers. Ideal if you have lots of small rivets to punch out.

I think of my punch & die set, as I would my compressor. Blooming expensive at the time, but has paid for itself over, and gets lots of use.

Mart

**Please note that I cannot be held responsible if you bend your punches by whacking the bejesus out of them! :D

Well, just to make you sick, picked up the same type of thing as the Historex one from here Rai-Ro. Got it at Telford in 2007 - £11.75.

Edited by tompot

thanks Mart

will probably have to fork out for a set at some point

unless you want to sell me your set for a fiver, Fea. that's a decent %age mark up :whistle:

Ayup Walrus...

:bangin: ok, right...

I've got the same Historex punch set; got it from Little-Cars for a shade under £40.00

All mine came in good condition except the smallest punch that had a slight bend on it but hardly noticeable.

They all work exceptionally well an varying thickness's of plastic giving nice clean holes - I use exactly the same hammer as in Mart's post.

My only gripe is that I wish that they had come in a better container that a plastic bag; I'm still on the lookout for a small box that they will fit in to snugly so they don't rattle around too much...

Karl

Edited by Karl

I've got the same Historex punch set; got it from Little-Cars for a shade under £40.00

All mine came in good condition except the smallest punch that had a slight bend on it but hardly noticeable.

They all work exceptionally well an varying thickness's of plastic giving nice clean holes - I use exactly the same hammer as in Mart's post.

My only gripe is that I wish that they had come in a better container that a plastic bag; I'm still on the lookout for a small box that they will fit in to snugly so they don't rattle around too much...

Karl

Hi Karl

I made my own using GFS (Tool Steel -01) and 6mm perspex and made the punches out of a material called D2 its the correct steel for punches and you cannot bend it.The D2 has to be vacum hardened and then ground flat to produce a sharp cutting edge.The cutting clearence has to .001" to get it right otherwise it will not work properly( remember once you have cut halfway the slug should drop away)Mine starts at .5 mm to 10 mm it works .It does help i you are a qualified Press Tool Toolmaker as well.The ones you have shown in the photos look cheap and nasty made from mild steel,i think they are ripping you off.You get what you paid for its better to use the right materials they will last you a lifetime

Paul

Karl

Ayup Karl...

Not very good for forty quid even, is it ?

Ayup Karl...

Not very good for forty quid even, is it ?

At face value - no, not really...

However it's done all of the jobs I've asked it to do - so far; so as a tool it is working as it should and I've been pleased with all of the holes I've punched - I've used it quite a bit on my TSR.2 and it's worked a treat.

Time will tell I guess.

Karl

Edited by Karl

Looks like you have been vindicated at last Fea!

£40 staying in the wallet until further notice :undecided:

Ayup Walrus...

Taken time, though hasn't it?

I think what it is is that we don't tend to look at prices on stands at shows, for a start, and are for some reason, blinded. Then we get conditioned over time to pay over the odds and don't think it unreasonable to pay what we do for tools and books. I appreciate a little profit, every business needs it, but for a good wedge, the packaging needs to be spot on too.

Can I pass a tip on, which is when you're punching through plastic card, then stick a sliver of the same thickness in at the end behind the two pins to keep everything vertical. It stops the edges of the holes and punches from being rounded off. I have the Historex Hex set for bolt heads and the smallest punch in that rounds off very quickly after little use.

Andy

Just to update on the historex punch set ... I sent mine back, explaining the problem with it, and was sent a replacement set which arrived this morning. I have to say that the service from Historex has remained fantastic, as they sent out the replacement set before even receiving the faulty (1st) one.

Sadly, the quality of the replacement set isn't a whole lot better. The alignment pins on the new set are parallel, so the perspex plate can now be lifted off, but the four smallest punches are bent as much as the first set. So there you have it, quality isn't great, but it does work. How well it stands up to frequent use, only time will tell.

In the meantime, I scratch-built the instrument panel for the 1:48 Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II using the set. It has turned out quite nice.

DSCN6478-600.jpg

DSCN6480-600.jpg

• Like 1