BOAC/ Ferry Command Liberator

Arie

Since I posted a first completed project today, I thought I might as well post the current one. Whilst sorting through old photos my grandfather shot during his time as a Liberator pilot, I came across this:

3226083489_4c575dc547_o.jpg

The photo scanned rather poorly and I know relatively little about the specific airframe except that it was likely snapped at RAF Horsham St. Faith, Norfolk sometime late '44 to early 45. Any information you lot might have about the likely identity or serials /markings of the aircraft would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot find any identifying serials from the photo. I have seen a few Liberators with RAF roundels as well as the BOAC 'Speed-bird' on the forward fuselage. RAF/BOAC LB-30

I don't know if this is one of those, but it would, in my opinion, make and interesting subject!

One of my first builds as a young teen was a Revell B-24D given to me by my grandfather. Since he has since passed on, for purely sentimental reasons I thought it would be nice to re-build from one of his photos. In any other case, I would probably toss the kit away, as it is quite a salvage job, compounded by the somewhat toy-like quality of the original kit. 3203200408_c7d0c2fc25_b.jpg

The LB-30 differs externally from the B-24D significantly, in that it has the round-type nacelles as opposed to the ovate style of the 24D. The transport version necessitates cutting several windows on each side, as well as a cargo door on the port side and the fitting of a faired-over nose and re-contoured tail-cone. I began simply by remedying some of the flaws in the original kit, scratch-building new undercarriage bays, detailing the undercarriage and cutting off/ filling the old engine nacelles.

3202350069_96449018e4_b.jpg

Since the kit was made to have retractable undercarriage, they are sparse of detail and rather inaccurate...one of the undercarriage legs also required some repairs, both are now finished...

3203199908_08defe927e_b.jpg

I initially was a bit short of references and extended the forward fuselage only to realise this modification was only completed on PM Churchill's Liberator when it was sent back for refurb, only being typical (evidently) of the C-87 transports in USAAC service. The price of over-eagerness! International Air Power Review finally provided me with a few better photos and references, and things are back on track with the fuselage now duly re-shortened!!

3202351829_d6950a2e4a_b.jpg

I have secured a pair of round nacelles, engines and props courtesy of a derelict Catalina and am still working to find a further two. I have plans drafted for new engine-mount/nacelles and hope to begin scratching them when i can find a bit of time.

3202351433_0658a770ae_b.jpg

Right, so that is progress thus far... critiques/ advice or ideas/ information all heartily welcomed!

We'll see if I can actually manage this... hope you enjoy!

Edited by Arie

Interesting project and nice going so far. Concering the engine nacelles, you could possibly check if any of the replacement nacelles in the Quickboost range would be suitable. Without being able to the the nacelles properly on your photo, I would guess the choice would be between Catalina,

72007bm.JPG

B-25B (including engines)

72112m.JPG

or B-17 nacelles from their range.

72114m.JPG

Hi Arie I've been sitting on Magna Models latest incarnation for the last two months,a conversion set based on the Academy B24 range to backdate it to the Liberator 1,it includes new wings,engine cowls,etc,there's a hold up on the decals,which I think include a greek option but I need to check on this when I get home. hth chris

Hi Arie I've been sitting on Magna Models latest incarnation for the last two months,a conversion set based on the Academy B24 range to backdate it to the Liberator 1,it includes new wings,engine cowls,etc,there's a hold up on the decals,which I think include a greek option but I need to check on this when I get home. hth chris

I saw the conversion on Hannants' site awhile ago and decided to hold off on the project for a bit to wait for the conversion but, alas, decided just to have a start on it...do you know per chance if/when the set might be out?

hi dave just got off phone to robin at poole, decals still awaited,gather neil gaunt has sent the proofs to martin in spain,so waiting for go ahead,so hopefully product will appear in next 4-6 weeks.Arie's build looks great,the old adage about one appearing as soon as you scratch build one comes to mind.cheers chris

So despite myself, some progress HAS indeed been made. I gave up trying to custom-cut windows from a sheet of acetate for each window and decided to simply cut large holes in the fuselage, cutting new windows into a sheet from an aluminium cola can. I broke a few scalpel blades before I acquired the 'magic touch' for cutting metal, but the windows seem more square and I do not think I will have trouble blending the metal in with the other fuselage panels (it seems to sand/paint well.)

3239061663_08330444b9_b.jpg

On the other side, I have simply cut a strip of acetate, masking the windows by underlying it with a strip of waxed-paper before gluing styrene stock window framing over the top (to restore structural integrity as well as looking more finished.)

3239846290_3dffe4a176_b.jpg

I also added the missing cockpit bulkhead and a few bits and bobs about the flight-deck. I am not certain it needs a great deal of detailing as it won't likley be all that visible. I am thinking to scribe instruments into the instrument panel after some flat-black paint. The interior will get a shot of mr. surfacer until i find what colour to spray it!

3239008407_7419ce0a8a_b.jpg

I am having trouble finding decent photographs showing the colour of the flight deck and cargo hold, most are black and white. I have seen seemingly contradictory images which suggest either natural aluminium or maybe a olive drab/ yellow primer?

Any ideas?

Edited by Arie

Now that's a great idea - using the aluminium to get nice square cut windows and minimize the thickness of the fuselage wall. What did you glue it in with? Did you have to make an inner frame to set the aluminium flush with the rest of the fuselage?

David

Now that's a great idea - using the aluminium to get nice square cut windows and minimize the thickness of the fuselage wall. What did you glue it in with? Did you have to make an inner frame to set the aluminium flush with the rest of the fuselage?

David

Hello David,

I used a gap-filling CA to fix the aluminium to the fuselage and actually built the framework up on top of the aluminium after i had glued it to the fuselage. The aluminium is actually thin enough to allow overlapping the plastic. I simply cut the metal larger than the hole and and used the existing structure for rigidity. The edges as so crisp I am almost tempted to cut some panels to glue elsewhere en lieu of scribbing. I did re-inforce it structurally to ensure that I won't risk denting it, but all in all, it's a nice material to work with.

Just as a note, I cannot remember what the gauge of the metal is on cans back in the UK (I don't usually go about cutting them apart!), but I know that the cans I have in France are a bit thicker than what I used here, which came from my brother in the U.S. Even with as thin as it is, unless you are cutting holes from the middle of a panel, scissors seem to cut much better than a hobby knife!

Cheers,

Arie

Edited by Arie

Having found nothing useful on the interior colour I went ahead and painted it olive-drab mixing in a hint of flat-yellow.

3245536865_882e7a169c.jpg

Completed undercarriage bays awaiting weathering. I intend to masks off the bays, then glue, fill, sand and surface the wings...

3246364990_368d5d6f24.jpg

These will be the new nacelles...I still need to find two more, but I have a bit of time before coming to that bit. I managed to find the nacelles Sten recommended on ebay, so those may be an option...

3246365142_88d1075073.jpg

Here's the relative thickness of the aluminium, just for comparison...

3246365240_fe51080859.jpg

The metal seems to paint up/blend beautifully...

3245537053_ae1a8d7b39.jpg

Still a good bit of work to go, but maybe now that I've posted the last few days' work I can actually get to sleep...

Edited by Arie

I am certain there has to be a better way of doing this, but I have thus far managed to test my patience building ONE re-contoured nacelle...three yet to go! I am covering it yet again in aluminium (and human flesh, thanks to the CA) which seems to work well enough if covered with small enough sections. Also a change of colour on the interior as it is evidently aluminium in the cargo bay...no worries there, the rest I'm flying in the dark a bit. Suppose there's always milliput & Mr. Surfacer for the rest, no?

3267683996_74af0255bd.jpg

3267683136_fa578c0794.jpg

Right...so, a day on and several, nearly-severed fingers later, something that slightly resembles an engine nacelle

3272787422_221070da63.jpg

a layer of milliput...(first time i've used the stuff...absolutely brilliant!! Love it:))

3272801232_5f0bd69019.jpg

And a bit of filling and surfacing on the fuselage...

3271972235_de7b9effe7.jpg

thats all for now...

Edited by Arie

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I have managed to finish, form and smooth one engine nacelle using aluminium, plasticard and a healthy amount of milliput, I just discovered that I have access to an industrial vacuum-forming machine at university. Needless to say, I am rather excited, now it simply remains to learn how to use it! I've shaped a few forms from balsa stock, and will seal them and hopefully manage to make a tail-cone as well. The machine is a formech model 450; I have never attempted vac-forming before, suppose this will be a bit of an experiment (hopefully no casualties.) We shall see...

3298209401_8ab7713881.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Arie

Great build mate, would it be ok to use your BOAC photo on my site? I'm always on the lookout for photos and information about the Lib in any of her guises.

Oh and my wife's mum lives in St. Etienne, France if that's the St. Etienne that's not too far from Narbon?

Cheers

Gary

Edited by RAF Liberators