F-4K / FG1 - XT872 - 892 NAS, 1972

bexwh773

Luckily, everything else went ok, but, I hate it when the roundels have seperate red centres as I really struggle with them.

Bex

It could be worse, you know, at least you didn't have to use the kit decals for the omega pennant on the tail and try to get the red one to line up perfectly with the white underlayer. Nevermind the offwhite areas of the roundels. And your serials on the underside of the wing look alright to me. But maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Iain,

Yeah, I thought as there was something remotely funny on the goggle box Id stay up and watch it as my other half is at work, mind you, by the time I get to bed now, she wont be long :rofl: But, got a fair bit done and caught up :yahoo: Now, a 1:32 F-4K, that sounds good to me :worthy:

Gregg, sounds like youve had some fun then, maybe I wont whinge about the roundels then :yikes: The underwing serials are too far inboard, the centre of the "X" should be bang on the wing joint :doh:

Thanks guys :thumbsup2:

Bexy

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything.

You know, I just remembered that you didn't start out with a FG.1 kit, what're you going to do about the walkways on the top of the intake trunks and the fuselage spine?

And, I hate to nitpick, but did you realise that the leading edge of the stabilators should be natural metal?

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything.

You know, I just remembered that you didn't start out with a FG.1 kit, what're you going to do about the walkways on the top of the intake trunks and the fuselage spine?

Im not going to push my luck any further, had enough trouble fitting the stabs from another kit :yikes:

And, I hate to nitpick, but did you realise that the leading edge of the stabilators should be natural metal?

That will be finished later today, didnt want to push my luck yanking paint off with the masking tape. But thats my mistake for not stating they were'nt phinished :doh:

Bexy

Well thanks to Comic Relief Ive spent the night starting the decals, and surprise surprise Bexy buggers it up. All went well until I did the underwing serials which split on me, hence they are skew wift :doh: Luckily, everything else went ok, but, I hate it when the roundels have seperate red centres as I really struggle with them. So, here we go then:

DSCF2976.jpg

Bex

Now that's how a proper jet fighter should look, and a mighty fine job you're doing Bexy, she looks downright sexy :analintruder::D:whistle:

Bloody Comic Relief had me decalling until 2am too!! Great show though, and that's a nice Phantom there Bex! :speak_cool:

I've got a few in the loft and really should start thinking about starting one...

Well thank you for the kind comments Gang :blush:

Antione, a resin FG1 cockpit is a must as its different from the FGR2, and dont forget that FAA FG1's didnt have the Chieftan periscope fitted either, adding catapualt hooks is a must, and you dont get the extended nose leg or slatted rear stabs. Thats the simple version that Ive stuck with as I didnt want to push my luck.

Walrus, resistance is Phutile :hypnotised::evil_laugh:

:clif: Nice to see you back on form...................... you know................. keeping an eye on me :lol:

Thanks Sis :wub:

Mark, aha, nice to see I wasnt the only dirty stop up :lol: it was rather good, especially the Naughty Bits on BBC3 at 0300 :rofl:

Bexy

Antoine, a resin FG1 cockpit is a must as its different from the FGR2, and dont forget that FAA FG1's didn't have the Chieftain periscope fitted either, adding catapult hooks is a must, and you don't get the extended nose leg or slatted rear stabs. Thats the simple version that I've stuck with as I didn't want to push my luck.

I've missed something there, Bex.

You've made the extended front legs from scratch?

I've missed something there, Bex.

You've made the extended front legs from scratch?

:sorry: Antoine, my mistake, no I was given the long leg by a kind BM'er :worthy:

Bex

Very very nice Phantom, hard to believe its brush painted! :worthy:

Thanks for the info on the basic differences between the FG.1 and FGR.2 as well.

Thanks Anthony :thumbsup2: And youre most welcome for the info, there are I can assure you members here who will be able to give you more detail on the differences. Im a serious Phantom Phan, however, I dont know them like I know Canberras, which I know inside out, upside down and all round the houses :lol:

Bex

Thanks Anthony :thumbsup2: And youre most welcome for the info, there are I can assure you members here who will be able to give you more detail on the differences. Im a serious Phantom Phan, however, I dont know them like I know Canberras, which I know inside out, upside down and all round the houses :lol:

Bex

Its good to know there are other Phanatics out there, and i also have a Classic airframes 1/48 Canberra T.17 thats quite high up on my to do list, so i'll know where to come for info!! :whistle:

I was thinking about this right now. Great painting job!

Cheers!

Paul.

Thanks Paul, Ive never used an airbrush, and I really struggle to use a rattle can too :lol: Gimme a brush anyday :yahoo:

Bex

No photos yet, but Ive been plugging away at those lovely 5 trillion stencils :yikes: Photos soon I promise :pray:

Bex von CrossEyed

No photos yet, but Ive been plugging away at those lovely 5 trillion stencils :yikes: Photos soon I promise :pray:

Bex von CrossEyed

Decaling is the least enjoyable part of model building for me, you soak the decal, apply the decal, put some solvent on the decal and what do you have? One lift hook stencil, or a 'NO STEP'. :angry:

But, ya gotta admit, those stencils really do something for the model, when you've got them all on. :)

You want to do something to make you mutter to yourself, try doing 'City of Victorville/Sweet Sixteen', the F-4G that was the Wing Commander's aircraft at George AFB in the 80s, it was painted in a SEA scheme and every stencil ever applied to the Phantom II on it. Really impressive.

Keep plugging away a those decals. bexwh773!