RAF Mustang III - First Build for 2009

As the caption says, this is largely out of the box - just added some Eduard belts nicked from a Lysander, a fishing line Radio antenna and techmod Decals as I wanted to use the 'American' Canopy rather than the Malcolm hood and didn't want to use the 'shark mouth' decals provided with the kit.

This was only my third build to date and I'm pretty pleased with it overall - I reckon I've got a reasonable handle on masking RAF camo now, though you can't see much of it as I went for the D-Day striping (dohhh!!!) I also tried to hold back on the weathering which I tend to overdo.... :whistle:

Paints are Xtracrlics with details in Humbrol enamels. I also used the ProModeller Dark dirt wash on the panel lines.

Comments/critique welcome..... :mental:

Mustang017.jpg

Mustang018.jpg

Mustang029.jpg

Mustang038.jpg

Mustang041.jpg

Mustang043-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by timbo33

Where is it? I can't see it...

LOL - Got carried away and pressed submit before I'd added the images - try now sorry!! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

This is the first Tamiya kit I've put together and to be honest it was p*ss easy, the only issues bing some prominent seams on the fuselage join but they're underneath so I haven't really bothered doing much about them as I wanted to practice the painting and weathering. I'd planned to try pre-shading but I got so excited I'd sprayed most of the camo before I remembered!! :innocent:

"This was only my third build to date"

Thats your third build? - thats a lovely model and a very interesting scheme as well.

Just think what you'll be producing when you get a bit of experience under your belt!

Well done!

Thanks for your very positive comments everybody. This is only my third build since I came back to modelling last year after a gap of over 20 years but I was never particularly brilliant then!!

The hobby has moved on tremendously and it is through forums such as this that a relatively inexperienced modeller can pick up so much information on new techniques that it greatly accelerates progress. Well Done BritModeller and a big thank you to everyone who contributes and shares so much!!! :grouphug:

Edited by timbo33

Nice, love the Mustang in RAF colours

Cheers Calum, I saw your post of the same model and also had a look at your website - I think I've got a bit of a way before I'm in your league but thanks for the kind comments!!

Interestingly I saw your post about your 5 builds for 2008 - 3 of which, the Spitfire, Stormovik and Mustang are my only builds to date - great minds? :speak_cool:

Beautiful work, looks great with the Invasion Stripes :)

I'm wanting to do an RAF Mustang myself.

Beautiful work, looks great with the Invasion Stripes :)

I'm wanting to do an RAF Mustang myself.

Cheers Piel..

I didn't plan to do it in invasion stripes hence I did a full camo job on it but the only set of decals I could find for a Mark III without the Malcolm hood and without the Shark's Mouth that comes with the kit was the TechMod ones for Polish Mustangs and they had the D-day stripes. TBH I could have modelled the same aircraft as it would have been 4 weeks earlier without the stripes but I got into it once I got going!! The irony is this would have been ideal for the D-Day Group Build that I'm signed up for so I'll have to do something else with invasion stripes now.... :confused:

BTW I checked out your Spitfire build thread and you're obviously a very experienced modeller despite your absence from the hobby - I feel a bit silly giving you advice (Grannies, eggs etc) :rolleyes:

If you're going to do an RAF Mustang then the Tamiya kit is a beaut.Despite having limited experience of putting these things together (i've only started 5 since I came back to modelling last year after 20 years away) the Tamiya Mustang went together perfectly. There are some seam lines that would need to be tidied up for a modeller of your standard (I didn't bother LOL) but I used no filler on my build and only a little tippex on some of the tiny gaps.

Edited by timbo33

Thanks Timbo :) The truth is I'm nowhere near as experienced as most of the guys on this site :) Before my Spit the last kit I made was the Academy 1:48 F-15E in 1999, and I was 17 years old at the time. All my models were brush painted (I couldn't afford an airbrush) and I was always frustrated not being able to achieve the kind of finish I wanted.

Fast forward ten years (almost) and I have a good job and I can afford an airbrush and compressor, as well as all the tools and bits and bobs I convince myself I *must have*. The problem is I work at sea for around 8 months every year, so I can only make my kits when I am on leave. I am probably too much of a perfectionist, whenever I finish a kit I always think there are lots of things I could have done better and lots of little things that bug me (for example glueing the radiator onto my Spit backwards and losing the rear view mirror).

Still, that's a fine Mustang you have there, I'm still not confident enough to attempt some invasion stripes myself, although I have the Hasegawa 1:48 Spit IX in the stash that might just get some stripes :) I'm really glad I found this site as I have done a lot of reading and picked up lots of hints and tips here, and lots of ideas to try new techniques, and of course I really enjoy looking at the pics of others' models which have inspired me to get back into making my own!

In fact, speaking of inspiration... looking at the Spanish Civil War GB in your sig, I reckon a good little combo to build would be a Bf109 and I-16 from that conflict :) (goes to search internet for suitable kits...)

Edited by Pielstick

.....I'm still not confident enough to attempt some invasion stripes myself, although I have the Hasegawa 1:48 Spit IX in the stash that might just get some stripes :) ......

In fact, speaking of inspiration... looking at the Spanish Civil War GB in your sig, I reckon a good little combo to build would be a Bf109 and I-16 from that conflict :) (goes to search internet for suitable kits...)

Invasion stripes are easy - spray white then mask off two stripes and spray black....I don't know how accurate my stripes are as I eyeballed the spread of the stripes insofar as where they started behind the canopy and at the wing root and then measured the distance to where they looked like they should finish. In my case it turned out to be 5 cm so I just used strips of 10mm Tamiya tape. In reality the stripes were chalked on the sides by a senior rigger and then painted by hand so they weren't actually very neat, nor very consistent.

as for the Civil War Group Build, yes those would be a good combo (guess what I'm building LOL) I've also got a Ju87B that I'm going to do in Republican colours. problem with the SCW is that most of the aircraft that flew are poorly represented, certainly in the scale I like - 1/48 so unless you want to pay £30 odd for a Classic Airframes CR42 or Heinkel 51 then you've a choice of Academy, Revell or Eduard who do anything remotely Civil War-ish.

But if you're happy doing 1/72 Blimp, who's organising the GB might be able to help you out with some good subjects...he's donated a lot of stuff to those who want it and may still have some stuff left. Check out his thread here ;)

Edited by timbo33