1/32 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk VI => Mk V

Pascal

Hello,

To commemorate the 65th birthday of D-day, I'm building the Spitfire MkVb, AB910, code AE-H, 402 Sqn RCAF flown by F/O George Lawson on june 6 1944.
I'm using this Mk VI kit as it is almost identical to the Mk Vb (apart from the wingtips, propellor and hub, and the rear canopy) :

1_IMAG0875.jpg

1_IMAG0876.jpg

1_IMAG0877.jpg

1_IMAG0878.jpg

It's an old kit from the early seventies, but the quality is still very good. Did a dryfit, no problems there :

1_IMAG0898.jpg

1_IMAG0899.jpg

The kit has recessed panellines, so I decided to rescribe them. These are the tools I use :

1_IMAG0904.jpg

1_IMAG0903.jpg

1_IMAG0907.jpg

Before :

1_IMAG0905.jpg

After :

1_IMAG0906.jpg

1_IMAG0909.jpg

1_IMAG0910.jpg

1_IMAG0911.jpg

I'm looking for wartime pictures of AB910, any help is more then welcome.

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Thank you for the tip Edgar, I had not noticed it.

Do you know which mark of Spitfire has this little window ?

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Good luck with your build Pascal, re-scribing is really something I've still to get my head around!!

A word of warning, I made this kit last year and the kit decals were useless. Probably not their fault as the kit can be getting on a bit now but they just fell apart in the water before I'd even touched them. Might be worth giving them a coat of 'Klear' while they're still on the sheet, helps them stay in one piece apparently.

Edited by Doug Rogers

Thank you for the tip Edgar, I had not noticed it.

Do you know which mark of Spitfire has this little window ?

Greetings

Pascal

I'm not absolutely certain, but maybe only the VI & VII; it was used for demisting.

Edgar

I started work on the cockpit. First I made a new "bulkhead". I used the one from the kit to make a template from cardboard, and then made one from plasticard :

1_IMAG0919.jpg

Dryfit in the fuselage :

1_IMAG0921.jpg

1_IMAG0922.jpg

Alost 99% of Spitfire kits have a flat piece of plastic for the cockpit floor. Since this is not correct, I started making a round one from scrap plastic :

1_IMAG0932.jpg

The new floor will be sandwiched between the 2 fuselage halves, and will be glued on the reinforcement strips (the bottom white strip) :

1_IMAG0931.jpg

1_IMAG0930.jpg

I'm hoping that all goes well, there's still a lot of work on the cockpit.

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Thanks for the reply :winkgrin:

Did some more work on the "ribbing".

Before :

1_IMAG0936.jpg

After :

1_IMAG0933.jpg

Glued both halves of the wheels together, the tires have no tread. I asked a question about Spitfire tires in the 'Real aviaton' section :

1_IMAG0934.jpg

1_IMAG0935.jpg

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

I started work on the rudder pedals. This is the cockpit-floor of the Aires-set :

1_IMAG0940.jpg

Nicely detailed, but not correct. So I decided to scratch this section :

1_IMAG0937.jpg

1_IMAG0938.jpg

This photo shows the pipes of the rudder-pedals, they are oversized. I will try to make new ones from brass tubes :

1_IMAG0939.jpg

Still a lot of work on the cockpit :confused:

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

This Mk VI kit has a 4-bladed propellor and matching spinner. I also have the Mk Vb kit, that has a short and a long spinner, and De Havilland and Rotol propblades. But there's only 1 propellorhub :

1_IMAG0941.jpg

So I made a hub from a curtainrail wheel and some messing tube :

1_IMAG0942.jpg

And did a dryfit of the new hub, the short spinner and the DH blades :

1_IMAG0945.jpg

1_IMAG0944.jpg

1_IMAG0943.jpg

I'm pleased with the result, but it will be tricky to ge the correct angle of the blades. Does anybody know if this Spitfire had a short or a long spinner and DH or Rotol propblades ?

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

The only photo of AB910, that I can find, is dated May, 1949, and it had a Rotol prop then. There are a couple of photos in the "Spitfire, the Canadians" books, in which the front ends of 402's Mk.Vs can be seen clearly, and they have Rotol props.

Edgar

Great work so far , i have built this kit a few times and apart from the decals which are the wrong colour ( Red far to bright ) it goes together well.

Only things to watch out for are the seat which is a little bit too big , if you have the aires one use that , also if you run your fingers along the trailing edges of the wings ( behind the cannon buldges ) you will feel a long sink mark

this will not be apperant untill you paint it and by then it will be too late to fill , from your pics i can see your kit suffers from this. If you feel up to it the wheel wells are a little shalow and could do with cutting out and rebuilding. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Keith :winkgrin:

I had not noticed the sinkmark on the wings, I sanded the starboard one, and it started to show, it runs from the aileron to the wing-fuselage "connection". Did a lot of sanding, and now it's gone, because of the sanding the trailing edge it a little bit thinner, looks better. It will try to paint the roundels so I won't be using the decals.

The seat is the same size as that from the Aires kit, but it needs some extra detailing. As for the wheel wells, no idea if I will alter them.

Did some work on the frames today, a lot of dryfitting was needed to get the right shape. I hope that it looks a little more like the original :

1_IMAG0957.jpg

1_IMAG0958.jpg

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Did some work on the seat, the one from the Aires-set is a little bit too big and the armorplate is too high :

1_IMAG0961.jpg

Since I will be using the seat from the kit, I started by making the hole at the bottom. The seat will also receive the backrest, like the seat from Aires :

1_IMAG0962.jpg

Does anybody have an idea what those 8 round things in front of the seat are ?

Greetings, Pascal

Edited by Pascal

I think what you're asking about is the flare rack Pascal.

It is, and they've moulded the cartridges in place; these were only applicable to Seafires, since Spitfires had a one-shot identification flare set into the spine, about halfway back. The Seafire seat also had a metal "holster," into which the flare pistol fitted, on the starboard side, roughly by the pilot's elbow. It's entirely possible to see a flare rack(empty) in a Spitfire, but usually only Westland-built; as they were also building Seafires, I'd say that, almost certainly, they wouldn't have had different seats for their Spitfires.

Edgar

A little update. The ribbing of the fuselage is ready, so it was time to do a dryfit of the bulkheads :

1_IMAG0968.jpg

1_IMAG0967.jpg

I'm pleased with the result, comments are always welcome.

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Thanks Chris ^_^

I'm looking for scale plans of Spitfires, if anyone has a site that has them, info is more than welcome.

I've got these two books by Robert Humphreys :

51TPBMZ6CCL._SS500_.jpg412ZSP0P41L._SS500_.jpg

Both have scale plans, but are they accurate ? I've compared the plans with the Hasegawa 1/32 and Tamiya 1/48 kits, and there are some differences in the panellines.

So to sum up my question : where can I find accurate scale plans of Spitfires ?

Greetings

Pascal

For the IX & XVI, I'd try Paul Monforton [email protected]. He's done his drawings from actual airframes, some of them having been taken apart. He doesn't have a secure site, for credit card orders, but phone orders are easy, and he's a perfect gentleman to deal with. His book (a snip at a mere £70-ish) has 1/48 drawings inside the front and rear covers. With those as a basis, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a Griffon nose, or cut them down to the earlier Merlin versions.

Edgar