Micro Set and Klear?

Pielstick

I'm working on my Spit at the moment, finished painting today and this evening I gave it two coats of Klear. I'm using an Xtradecal sheet for the Mk.I Spit, and Micro Set and Sol. I've just applied the upper wing roundels and managed to tear one of them. When I removed the decal I found a perfect circle underneath where the Klear has been removed. I sniffed the Micro Set bottle and it definitely smells a lot like ammonia. As I understand it ammonia will remove Klear. If this is the case, does it mean that Klear and Micro Set cannot be used together?

Cheers.

I've used them together before and had no real problems. You can get some of the Klear turning milky where the solution has touched the klear though, so that might support your experience. I was led to believe that decal solutions were some form of acid akin to acetic acid? Adding ammonia in this day & age of acrylic paints would be a very silly move by Microscale, I'd have thought? :shrug:

Sorry I can't be more help.

My understanding is that the Miscrosol will soften the Klear and turn it milky, but the clarity returns when it dries. I've has milky patches on my models, but they have always disappeared.

Same 'ere :)

Thanks for the quick reply gents :)

I'm not talking about Micro *SOL* (the softener), I am talking about Micro *SET* (the adhesive that goes on underneath the decal). I could swear that my bottle of Set smells of ammonia...

Anyway, I've wiped the area clean and sprayed some more Klear on, and I will have another go without the Set tomorrow night.

Thanks for the quick reply gents :)

I'm not talking about Micro *SOL* (the softener), I am talking about Micro *SET* (the adhesive that goes on underneath the decal). I could swear that my bottle of Set smells of ammonia...

Anyway, I've wiped the area clean and sprayed some more Klear on, and I will have another go without the Set tomorrow night.

I use both micro set and sol over klear with no problem at all. You get milky patches whilst it is wet but they go when it dries. Have just had a sniff of my micro set and it smells more like acetic acid than ammonia.

My bottle of Microset smells of vinegar. I 've stopped using it though as I find it has some sort of reaction with the clear that leaves brownish stains. Perhaps I have a dud bottle though if no-one else has experienced it?

My bottle of Microset smells of vinegar. I 've stopped using it though as I find it has some sort of reaction with the clear that leaves brownish stains. Perhaps I have a dud bottle though if no-one else has experienced it?

For microset save your money. Go out and buy some cheap white vinegar, it does the same thing and it smells the same.

Bob

For microset save your money. Go out and buy some cheap white vinegar, it does the same thing and it smells the same.

Bob

I use vinegar (white) too but you've gotta dilute it. Trial and error and I was once a chemist! - also depends on decals.

Stonar

does that mean i can clean the kitchen with Microset?

Don't be silly... put it on your chips!

I've nearly done decalling my Spit at the moment, and everything went well using Micro Set and Sol. The only thing I can think of is I didn't leave the Klear long enough to cure before I started the decalling.

I've nearly done decalling my Spit at the moment, and everything went well using Micro Set and Sol. The only thing I can think of is I didn't leave the Klear long enough to cure before I started the decalling.

I suspect you're right about not leaving the Klear long enough. I had a similar experience to you when I tried to rush a kit. I left the Klear for about 4 hours to dry ( I usually leave it at least 12 hours) and when I used Micro Set the Klear turned cloudy and the decal stuck to it and tore. The cloudy area disappeared when the area dried out. Lesson learnt, I'm now back to leaving at least 12 hours for the Klear to dry.

I agree Carpet Monster. i used to leave the Kear 24 hours after having the same problem, but another coat of klear usually helps.

Had a problem Microsol/set eating the fuselage band of my Sea Fury, the rest of the decals went on fine with water and nothing else.

White vinegar is very good as a cleaning agent in the kitchen and bathroom Peilstick.

it apparently kills 96% of all known germs, and i use it all the time saving horrible chemicals for the model making.

I just hope the remaining 4% are friendly bacteria

Has anyone tried Microsol on chips at all :analintruder:

Only when I want them to fully bed themselves into the panel line Sean.

Tip: Ensure the frozen type are FULLY defrosted first. It will save a lot of aggro and hassle.

:poo: