Best Hurricane in 1:48th

Mike

After seeing Darius' Hurri on the WIP section, I'm moved to get hold of one next time I'm making an order for "modelling supplies" ;)

Who makes the best kit at my favorite scale so far?

TIA

Mike

The Hasegawa kit is very nice but as that is the only 1:48 Hurricane that I have built I cannot be said to be a provider of impartial advice. When it was released, many reviewers remarked on the somewhat heavy rendering of the fabric ribbing on the rear fuselage. This is true but it looks better after a few coats of primer. The only other kits I am aware of in 1:48 are the Airfix and Hobbycraft kits, which may be the same kit. I have also heard of a Monogram kit in this scale but cannot comment on its quality/accuracy.

:giles:

Darius

Out of the three, major, players, Airfix, Hobbycraft, and Hasegawa, I'd say that the Airfix kit still edges it (if you can find one.) The "heavy" ribbing, on the Hasgawa kit, only needs a few swipes, with wet-and-dry. If the Hobbycraft kit is all that you can find, don't turn your nose up, at it, though. The Monogram kit tries to be all things, to all men, being, allegedly, a Mk.I to IV, and the cockpit comprises a bulkhead, with a slot, into which the pilot fits.

Edgar

I've built the Revell (Hasegawa re-pop) IIC and added a CMK cockpit, vac form canopy and ultracast exhasuts

Revell-Hurricane-IIc-16.JPG

I wouldn't bother with cockpit though as IMHO the kit cockpit is excellent (bar the seat). I'm currently building the Hasegawa IID and Classic Airframes Rag wing Hurricane.

IMHO the Hasegawa kit is light years ahead of the CA one. (See this thread started by me).

But as I wanted fabric wing aircraft (for Cobber Kain's ) I didn't have much choice.

The issues I've had with the Hasegawa are, the canopy. Why have such a nice pit and them not supply a 2 part canopy :huh: The large sink marks in the wheel well and the exhausts (but IMHO most kit exhausts are crap)

IMHO

Apart from what mentioned above I reckon the Hasegawa (or revell re pop)is a great kit straight from the box. But if you wnat to go with some resin I'd recommend the Ultracast exhausts, Wheelwell and seats. And a vac form canopy

more pics of my hurricane at Calums Models website

Dunno about accuracy issues but the Hasegawa one just falls together, built mine in a coupla days

Hurripost1.jpg

That's a very nice Hurricane. What paints did you use for the uppers and undies?

John

That's a very nice Hurricane. What paints did you use for the uppers and undies?

John

Unders are Model Master Azure Blue enamel, and although it doesn't look like it in the pic the uppers are dark earth and dark green acrylics by Misterkit. Misterkit are my paint of choice I love 'em, from what it heard people say they would probably be very similar to Xtracrylic, gloss finish, spray beautifully, dry very quickly. An Italian brand the colour range only goes up to WWII but they are the best source for WWI colours.

I can get Misterkit locally but I haven't tried it as yet. The reason I asked about the colours was that on my PC the brown lo0oks a bit light and I wondered if you were engaging in the Dark Green/Light Earth debate!

John

I reckon the Hasegawa ones are pretty good. personally I think the Airfix one is just a bit long in the tooth now and the moulding technology is so much better...

Gallery038.jpg

Gallery014.jpg

Alright, they're not perfect, but they look ok to me but then I'm no Hurricane expert.

I got the Hase IIC on my desk right now - bought the Ultracast seat/headrest and exhausts and a the Eduard pre-painted set - will be starting work on it in about three weeks or so. Built a Hase Mk1 a few years back and loved every minute of it !

Ian

Are the nose profiles of the Hasegawa Hurri's ok though...I look at the MkI and it just looks too...blunt?...is that the right description?...dunno...like I say i'm no expert on them.

Are the nose profiles of the Hasegawa Hurri's ok though...I look at the MkI and it just looks too...blunt?...is that the right description?...dunno...like I say i'm no expert on them.

The Mk 1 Hurricane was shorter in the nose. I put the Classic Airframes one alongside my Hasegawa IID and there's quite a difference. See below. TH SAM book on the Hurricane says the Hasegawa is the best option in 1/48. Having built one before I can't argue. It's certainly better than the CA one.

2-Hurricanes-01.jpg

Here's the difference in detail between the Hasegawa and Classic Airframes

2-Hurricanes-02.jpg

Here's my finished cockpit for the IID I'm working on

Hurricane-IID-Cockpit-01.jpg

Hurricane-IID-Cockpit-02.jpg