Tornado ALARM wing pylons question

PaulR

28 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Ah, erm, sorry about this... but it was the O/B pylon/stub that I was after and I think they differ from the I/B in that the O/B are more horizontal with the adapter giving the angle downwards before the rail itself...? Could be wrong though!

On 6/15/2009 at 11:23 PM, dunloadin said:

Any of the normal combination of stores can be fitted to the shoulder pylons, including Stormshadow, the favorite load during Telic (the Scottish Wing, not AAS) was 3x EPWII/2x ALARM/2x SW, the winders were dropped pretty quickly but the Lau's & stubs stayed on.

Interestong loadout!

We are definitely in need of more in theater early war  load-out photos....

Was Storm Shadow also combined with Alarm? Or Raptor missions?

The EPWII was used as the weapon of choice for pretty everything until the PWIV and Brimstone were awailable several years later, no?

2 hours ago, Boman said:

According to Deagel.com, the Tornado could carry up to 7 ALARM's; 3 under the belly and 2 under each wing. 

Intetesting!

Space wise it lookslike up to 3 would fit under a wing....pylon directly and both shoulders.... or 2 and a tank...

2 hours ago, Boman said:

Nice! Would have thought that the inner wingpylon would be crammed against the fuselage when the wings sweep, but apparently not.

The Hindenburger tanks can also not be used with full wing sweep.... so that is not a reason against loading them there... or maybe the different adaptor angles care for exactly that!

I was one of a group of six people who were sent from XV Sqn and station at RAF Laarbruch to BAC Stevenage in 1990 to do a crash course on programming the ALARM missile prior to it being deployed to the Gulf. We then travelled to Warton to be trained on the loading of the missiles onto the GR.1 Tornado on centreline & shoulder pylons plus the three in-board wing pylon stations. Upon our return to Laarbruch we then trained the personnel on 20 Sqn who then deployed their aircraft and ALARM's to Tabuk.

XVTonker

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:54 AM, Robertone139 said:

Thanks. Seen that one and it does show a difference in the inner wing shoulder pylons, but not a lot of detail on the inboard one. Tricky to get a decent photo of it with it being tucked away