Alan Hall Memorial GB

This is to test the water to see if peeps are up for this GB idea that was floated elsewhere. The idea was to run this across several forums and try and get the mother of all GB's running. Due to real life getting in the way I haven't done much about it, but I want to try and get the show on the road.

The question is simple - do you want in?

The rules will be that entries must consist of a build that is a conversion featured in an article by Alan Hall. These were published (in the main) in Airfix Magazine and latterly Scale Aircraft Modelling. Builds must follow the spirit of the article and to this end no PE, resin or vacform (canopy) components will be permitted. This means you get to use balsa and seal it with talcum powder mixed with dope, crash mould canopies after making a master detail cockpits using scrap plastic/imagination and source spares from wherever you can.

The GB will run for six months, which will give time for completed entries to be photographed and all the builds (from all the forums) to be published as a book.

I would be hopeful that IPMS might allocate some table space at SMW 2009 for builds to go on display.

Over to you!

peebeep

This list is courtesy of Merlin Jones and Jssel at UAMF:

Avro 504K to Sopwith Baby – Nov 1969

Avro 504K to Avro 504N – Jul 1967

Avro Anson MkI to pre-War Avro Anson MkI - Apr 1971

Avro Anson MkI to Avro Anson T MkI – Mar 1971

Avro Anson MkI to Avro Anson MkXII – Apr 1968

Avro Anson MkI to Avro Anson T Mk20 – Feb 1971

Avro Lancaster to Manchester – Sept 1969

Avro Lancaster to Mk II - Oct 1968

Avro Lancaster to Avro York – Sept 1967

Boulton Paul Defiant to Defiant TT3 Target Tug - Jan 1968

Bristol Beaufighter to the Mk II - Nov 1968

Bristol Beaufighter to MkX - Aug 1965

Bristol Freighter to short-nose version – May 1969

Consolidated Catalina to Nomad or P2B – Aug 1966

Consolidated Catalina to Danish PBY-6A or PBY-5A – Jun 1969

Consolidated B-24 Liberator – Liberator transport – Aug 1970

Curtiss P-40 to P-36A Hawk – Feb 1965

Dassault Mirage IIIc to Australian Mirage IIIo – July 1969

DH4 to DH9 – Feb 1968

De Havilland Tiger Moth to dHC Tiger Moth – Dec 1965

Douglas Dakota DC-3 to C-47C Amphibian or Li-2 – Dec 1969

Douglas DC-3 to “Needle-nose” version – Aug 1969

Douglas Skyraider to AEW Skyraider – Mar 1969

Fairey Swordfish to Floatplane – Feb 1964

Fiat G-91 to G-91T – Mar 1966

Gloster Gladiator to Gloster Gauntlet – Jun 1964

Handley Page Halifax MkIII to MkII – Dec 1967

Handley Page Hampden to Handley page Hereford – Feb 1969

Hawker Hart to Hawker Hector – Jun 1965

Hawker Hurricane MkIV to MkI or MkIId – Apr 1964

Heinkel HeIII H-20 to HeIII H-4 – Jan 1969

Jet Provost T Mk3 to CFS MkI – Nov 1967

Junkers Ju-87B Stuka to Ju-87G Mar 1967

Junkers Ju-87B Stuka to Ju-87 D – Feb 1967

Lockheed Hudson to Lockheed Ventura – Oct 1969

Lockheed P38J to a RAF Lightning - Sept 1968

Lockheed HC130 - Feb 1970

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II to RF-4C – Jul 1966

Me262A to Me262 VI or Me262 V3 or Me262BIa/UI or Me262B2a or Me262C-2b or Me262A-1a/UI or Me262 V56 or Me262A-2a/U2 or Me262E and A-I V-83 or Me262A-Ia/U3 or Me-262C-Ia – Dec 1966

Me262A to Me262B-Ia/UI Nightfighter – Nov 1966

Mig-21 Fishbed to Mig-21 Mongol – Jan 1971

Mitsubishi Ki 46-II Dinah to Ki 46IIIA – Apr 1966

NA Harvard MkII to MkI – Jan 1966

North American P-51D Mustang to P-51B (RAF Mustang III) – Oct 1966

Republic P-47D to P-47N – Dec 1970

Sopwith Camel and Revell Sopwith Triplane to Sopwith Pup – Apr 1969

Sopwith Baby - Nov 1969

Short Stirling to MkV Cargo version – May 1967

Supermarine Spitfire MkV to MkXVIe – May 1970

Supermarine Spitfire MkIX to PRXI or HFVII – May 1970

Supermarine Spitfire MkIX to a MkVII or MkVIII – Aug 1971

Vought Chesapeake (Rareplanes vac) - Jul 1971

Westland Scout to Westland Wasp – Sept 1966

Westland Whirlwind S-55 to H-19 – Jun 1967

If anybody were to fancy taking on any of these builds I would try and get them the article. If I come across any more I will add as and when. If you know of any more please add them here. I have fairly extensive SAM archives so I will start checking these as well.

peebeep

From my cursory notes

Aug 64 - Hunter T.7

Oct 64 Ju88G1

Oct 65 Gladiator II

Nov 65 BAC Lightning F.3

Aug 67 TF104G Starfighter

Mar 68 DH4 -> DH9A

May 68 Welly III -> I

Jul 68 Mossie PR.16 & PR.34

Aug 68 Battle Trainer

Dec 68 Buccaneer S.2

Jan 70 Sea King from SH-3

Mar 70 DH4A

Jun 70 Hart/ -> Osprey

Jul 70 Halifax Freighter

Oct 70 Coastal Command Wellington

That's as far as I've gotten

(Edited: I see I had some dups & removed them).

John

Edited by JohnRatzenberger

Also in Airfix mag ...

May 71 Fury -> Nimrod

Jun 71 T6G Harvards

Mar 72 Hunter T.7 (another one)

Apr 72 Kingfisher

Mar 73 2-seat Harrier

May 75 Avenger

Jun 75 P-51H

This takes to end of 1975 in my (incomplete) collection, I'll keep looking over next few days ...

John

Edited by JohnRatzenberger

I dunno, it sounds very challenging to me. Though a good way to improve scratching skills.

I've never seen these articles before, wasn't about then! so I've no idea of what's actually involved.

My concern would be in getting access to the articles and the kits in question.

Looking through that list, the following I'd find of interest:

lancaster - manchester

lancaster - york

DC3 - C47C

AEW skyraider

Ki 64II - Ki 64IIIA

Stirling - MkV cargo

Hi Peebeep

i want a two seat Hunter and Harrier. the problem will be the time for scratch building. I think i would be more comfortable with a conversion in the spirit of Alan Hall, using styrene and milliput/greenstuff, which i am more familiar with.

i have a couple of old Airfix + SAM Mags with the great man's conversions, though not sure if anyone will want to convert a Harrier GR1/3 to a Shar1

will dig out what i have in case anyone is interested in them.

My concern would be in getting access to the articles and the kits in question.

Steve, the plan is to make such resources available to anybody who wants to do a build. I have a good number of the articles myself and with folks like John searching through their archives I'm confident that we can come up with 99% of the articles.

peebeep

I think i would be more comfortable with a conversion in the spirit of Alan Hall, using styrene and milliput/greenstuff, which i am more familiar with.

I think we could be flexible in respect of that, although I would urge folks to have a go at shaping wood - give it a try, you might find it easier than you think.

peebeep

Hi All,

Count me in if somebody can supply the instructions for converting the Hawker Hart into the Osprey (June 1970).

Or possibly the Defiant into the TT version.

Christian the Married

The rules will be that entries must consist of a build that is a conversion featured in an article by Alan Hall.

Forgive me for being thick - even if the wife doesn't - but must we use the kits Alan used in the articles or eg can we use any starter kit for our conversion?

Dave

but must we use the kits Alan used in the articles or eg can we use any starter kit for our conversion?

:hmmm: Good question.

I think that we could be reasonably flexible on this, the spirit of the GB should be most important - this is after all supposed to be a celebration of the life of somebody who made a huge contribution to the hobby as we know it today. I would say that where practicable then the original kit should be used. If it is not practicable then an alternative can be used, but this should not be, for instance, as a short cut to acquiring cockpit parts or canopies. I don't want peeps to forget that part of the object of the exercise is to have some fun whittling wood, chopping up plastic scrap and having a go at making a canopy for themselves. Back to basics modelling.

peebeep

I'll be glad to contribute scans to the repository.

I think we can allow for changing times. Many of the tools and methods have better options these days. Some of the conversions required parts from other kits -- those same parts may be available from different kits now IIR the Lanc B.II required parts from the Airfix Lanc, Halifax, Sunderland, and Fortress -- well there are others (Matchbox, Hasegawa, Academy, etc) from which similar parts can be obtained.

A note - the wood business isn't all that onerous. Many of the shapes are simple extensions, fillers, or bulges and not overly complex curves, etc ...

I think we should consider "derivative builds" also -- that it conversions done in the style of Alan Hall, but not done specifically by him. One example might be a Battle TT -- Hall did the Battle Trainer and the Defiant TT and I think those procedures could be used to create a Battle TT "ala Hall" ... or a Lysander TT ...

Just some thoughts ...

John

Oohhh!

I can feel a Battle gunnery trainer comming on!

Christian the Married

I'll be glad to contribute scans to the repository.

I think we should consider "derivative builds" also -- that it conversions done in the style of Alan Hall, but not done specifically by him. One example might be a Battle TT -- Hall did the Battle Trainer and the Defiant TT and I think those procedures could be used to create a Battle TT "ala Hall" ... or a Lysander TT ...

Just some thoughts ...

John

Jun 70 Hart/ -> Osprey

John

Also in Airfix mag ...

May 71 Fury -> Nimrod

Mar 73 2-seat Harrier

John

These three caught my attention but also raised a couple questions for your consideration chaps.

Since the Airfix Hart moulds have been converted to a Demon would a conversion based on the latter be acceptable?

Further to this, would a conversion of the Airfix 48th scale Fury to a Nimrod also be deemed acceptable? From what I recall Allan Hall always worked in 72nd scale.

Been planning both of these for some time and would love to add a two-seat Harrier to the collection.

Can't remember the last time I used a piece of balsa in a build so that could prove interesting!

Ok, I'm in for something, whether a precise Alan Halls style conversion or an 'in the spirit of'.

Actually I think I still may have a (rather poor by modern standards) Hunter T7 and a Lightning F3 done at the time of the original Alan Hall inspirations in the Sixties. Somewhere in the darker recesses of the loft.

I had a Lightning T4, which I think I destroyed, which was 'in his style'. And I recall doing a Defiant TT, badly, at about the same time as an Anson.

All done properly with balsa, talc and dope. Also stuff called Banana something. Was it Banana Oil? I recall using it on balsa flying models, can't recall what it's purpose was. Maybe a sealer? Does anyone else remember?

I'm not one for getting caught up in lots of rules and regulations so we''ll try and keep it as simple as possible. I wouldn't expect anybody to seek out a Hart kit (for instance), knowing that it's been re-tooled into a Demon. Scale :hmmm: , the issue has not previously been raised, I'm sure Alan Hall would've approved folks using his articles but working in other scales. If you want to work in say 1/48, go for it. The only area where I would be inflexible (sort of) is the use of aftermarket resin, PE, vacs etc. The spirit of this GB is balsa wood sealed with dope and talcum powder, cockpits detailed with scrap, crash moulded canopies and access to an extensive spares box. For the latter we could set up a wanted/exchange forum.

Can't give you any dope (groan!) on banana oil...

peebeep

All done properly with balsa, talc and dope. Also stuff called Banana something. Was it Banana Oil? I recall using it on balsa flying models, can't recall what it's purpose was. Maybe a sealer? Does anyone else remember?

Banana Dope - used to coat tissue/silkspan coverings. Also noted for introducing young builders to the "high's" of modeling, particularly if they worked in an closed space ...