Panavia Tornado GR4 - Shiny Two..er..31Sqn....

James V

I started an Italeri Tornado GR4 "Shiny Two" back in September complete with paragon aftermarket parts and the Tornado extras from Flightpath. I orginally started on the flightpath kit and got a bit disheartened, resulting in me stepping away from this for a few months. and building an A-10 (1/48th Italeri) and the TSR2 (1/72 Airfix), I decided to pick it up and with fresh eyes have made a lot of progress! I have put a few pictures below for progress.

Please note that my desk is an tip and it needs to be tidied!

I have mainly concentrated on the Flightpath extenals kit for the moment:

Progress to date (Pre Primed): Note the flightpath etchings above the intakes

3195235936_b79b062eb5_o.jpg

Post Primed (and a cleaner desk!)

3194394663_1531e823e4_o.jpg

View of the flaps and also photo etched wing seals - I really think these look good on the model

3195239730_ca01652ebf_o.jpg

External Hindenburger Tanker - The final stabilisation fins are currently being soldered together and then will be fitted

3195238152_3e9d3b9443_o.jpg

Shadow ECM Pod

3195238738_f67eec0634_o.jpg

I am currently waiting for a few parts and paint from hannants to finish this off including resin seats; the Flightpath etched seats are way too fiddly! If anyone is thinking about buying this set, it is pricey but well worth the money in my experience and would possibly buy one again.

More progress soon

James

Edited by spike7451

:post1: James... good choice of aircraft to start your BM career with :thumbsup:

It's often the way that you come back to a model you were sick of & make good progress... my whole 2008 output fall under that heading! :lol:

:post1: James, good to see you posting over here :)

Great work so far on the tonka, looking forward to seeing her progress :popcorn:

Edited by Seamus

Blimey!!!

Firstly thank you to everyone for the welcome to the forum and the comments. This one has been slow as I got annoyed with the cockpit detailing! My next step is to wait for the paint to arrive from Hannants to complete the external colours adn then drop back on to the pit once this is completed. Its no way going to be a work of art but it might be more deatiled than the original kit!

I hopefully should get some more pics on here soon, and hopefully a cleaner desk!

My next build (sitting next to the desk) is a tamiya 1/32 F-16 CJ - Has anyone had any experience with this kit? It looks a BEAST!!

Sorry for jacking your thread, and for forgetting 1/3 of Mike's 2008 output!

My next build (sitting next to the desk) is a tamiya 1/32 F-16 CJ - Has anyone had any experience with this kit? It looks a BEAST!!

All I can say is - you are in for a treat!

The Tamiya 1/32 F-16 is probably the best plastic injection kit ever produced. It will bring a warm glow to your heart as it just falls together in the most pleasing way, and you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are building the most technically accomplished, accurate and intelligently-designed model ever.

But don't just take my word for it - have a search around the forums for a few nice examples.

Very nice work!! I'm making the same model but without the Flightpath kit (using the paragon slats and flaps and neomega cockpit). How did you find the Paragon parts?

Hopefully I'll be posting my first pics of my build later.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been a while since I have last posted on here - A quick update to the progress so far.

I have now decided after finding out that Shiny Two is actually a wrap around Medium Sea Grey and not two tone grey with a black spine and fin (as per Model Alliance - thanks to everyone on here for the advice) so I have opted to change and finish the scheme off in 31sq. "Goldstars" scheme.

3229571976_dd300a5d37_o.jpg

3229573340_d085c791ba_o.jpg

3229570296_f6336d30a6_o.jpg

3217976554_018fe413cb_o.jpg

More to follow soon

James

James - can u email me your address please so i know where to post your decals for this build? Sadly i am again unable to use the forums on my home pc (DNS issue.... Mike?) and i am using my phone to type here - v, v slow, not much fun as i cant see most pictures, and it wont let me use the PM function on here either! My email is [email protected].

Looks flippin superb to me - I take it its this scheme? One of my fave on a Tonka.

1246166.jpg

Eng

Edited by eng

Thanks for the comments guys,

eng that certainly is the scheme I will be doing. I still have an airfix tornado GR4 in the stash and might make that one a Shiny Two I think.

Will, I will e-mail you in a moment. Thanks again

Edited by James V

Mate that looks awesome. Hope mine goes together just as well. What paint have you used for the greys, I notice your black is from Tamiya. I was thinking of using XF 24 and XF 53 but not sure (Might be X 24 or X 53 I can't remember).

Keep the pics coming. I'll be updating mine on friday all going well.

Justin

Not sure about the 1/32 scale decals, i'm pretty sure if they brought them out in 1/48th they would be available in a larger size. Might be worth checking on the Hannants site.

Jussie, Regarding the black, it is actually an Xtracrlyic colour of XA1012 (Night Black) - I am sure you could use the Tamiya Semi Gloss Black to the same effect mind!

Thank you for the kind comments, I hope it looks as good when I have finished!

That is really nice work m8 looking forward to the final result.

Does anyone know if these (or the shiny two ) markings are available in 1/32?

NOPE!! We are bereft of any decent decal options post-1995, with the exception of EuroDecals.