Minicraft 1:144 FRS.1 Sea Harrier

AnnC

Hi everyone!

I have started this kit over the weekend, and I have some photos :)

First up, a sprue shot:

3189477496_fb796c419e_b.jpg

Before I put the fuselage together:

3189477510_08389f4407.jpg

For the jet turbine, I painted it with Humbrol Metalcote 27002, then gave it a wash of black enamel thinned down with turpentine and when that was dry, I dry-brushed the Metalcote colour over the wash.

Now, while I would like to have missiles on my SHAR, it depends if we can bend them back into shape without breaking them. As you can see from this photo, they are warped on the sprue:

3189477536_e4ae5766ac.jpg

The fuselage is now together, I just haven't got round to taking pics yet!

I am planning on painting with EDSG on top, and white underneath.

Ann, that's a cute wee thing of an a/c....perhaps the missile is one of the "thrust vectoring" type... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

That looks tiny and rather blue! :lol:

Seems to be accurate enough as well, might try track one down to keep the Revell GR.7 company if your build inspires me ;)

Holy :cow6: Ann, that is small :yikes: I think I'll be hiding Sammys AV-8B at the bottom of our stash out the way :lol:

Great start so far, and I like SHars so keep it going :worthy:

Bex

My brother had quite a thing for this kit when we were little, having built no less than 3 of them, all bought from the FAA museum - it was his regular purchase on our visits (we both later bought 1/72 SHARs there too)! The kit is actually quite accurate and, for the scale, well proportioned and detailed. The only things that might be an issue is that the canopy and the IFR probe are both rather clunky. The IFR probe is easy to solve (just leave it off!) but the canopy may be a little more difficult. It is also very thick, even by 1/72 standards.

An update:

The fuselage is now together, with wings, tailplanes and air intakes added:

3192374496_0e714cc450.jpg

I forgot to say that there is a fair bit of flash on the parts, although I think it's an oldish kit.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. The SHAR has now been filled and sanded in various places. The side of the starboard air intake had to be sanded down, as it bulged out quite a lot more than it should. I am currently in the process of painting the underside white, and will post some pics when I have the time.

If you haven't gone too far the biggest problem with this model is that the part of the rear fuslage that sticks out behind the fin is twice as big as it needs to be.

Nice start by the way.

Regards

David

If you haven't gone too far the biggest problem with this model is that the part of the rear fuslage that sticks out behind the fin is twice as big as it needs to be.

Ah, yes, it does look a bit big. However, I'm not sure how to correct it without breaking the rest of the model... :undecided:

From looking at the sprues I'd suggest the easiest way is to take a razor saw and remove a section from the middle. It looks like it doesn't taper much, so might only need a little filling/sanding to get it back smooth again.

The tricky part is getting 2 straight cuts, other than a steady hand I'm not sure how best to figure that out.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten this; just had a bit of a break...

The underside is now white and I have painted most of the EDSG. Scratch-built strakes have been added to the bottom of the fuselage, since the kit didn't come with them (or gun-pods in place of strakes).

• 3 weeks later...

My SHAR is now painted, but I've still got a few touch ups to do:

3341891948_a5f6fbf4b0.jpg

I am currently in the middle of sorting out the weapons fit (glueing together and painting). If it works, I'll put missiles on the outboard pylons and rocket pods on the inboard ones.

And just for a nice size comparison, here is a pic of my SHAR next to a fuselage half of Dave's newly acquired 1:48 SHAR:

3341891916_4e41ee6461.jpg

Hi Ann,

nice pics of the Harrier. I hope you post more as you progress as I have half a dozen of these to do, perhaps more, for my scratchbuilt Hermes and Invincible. The carriers are only going to be the deck and upperworks, as a setting for my 1/144 aircraft and as you can see below, both the carriers and aircraft are currently in the stages of being built and painted.

I like modelling in 1/144 scale as you can fit more into a workspace however there can be a shortage of subjects out in the marketplace.

Bootneck

PICT0104.jpg

Hi Ann,

I'm currently converting a Revell 1/144 CH-53 to a CH-53E Super Sea Stallion but I'll keep monitoring your blog and, when I get to building my Harriers, perhaps I can get some advice then?

Thanks

Bootneck

PICT0089.jpg

PICT0091.jpg

PICT0094.jpg

PICT0095.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
So, as Walrus "bumped" my Harrier, I thought it would be only polite to check how this one is getting on. Let me guess, paused waiting for your eyesight to return? Dunno how you 1:144 people do it. 30:30 vision? :-)

Kirk

Maybe she's busy doing a super-detailing job on it or something crazy like that... ;) No seriously though, I'll let Ann answer about her own progress!

30:30 vision? :-)

Nah, nowhere near...I need glasses all day, every day.

I'm at the point where it's starting to get annoying (the Sea Harrier, not my eyes), with all the touching up to do. I'm doing little bits here & there, when I can.

Edited by AnnC

• 1 month later...

It is finished!

3476834745_97e94d9274.jpg

3476834717_dd9ed8cd24.jpg

3476834737_b787a1b004.jpg

3476834769_92ff4b639d.jpg

A couple of pics of the two SHARs together (Davec_24's 1:48 SHAR, also finished as XZ457):

3476834711_81b266fbdf.jpg

3476834697_ebd5ca0769.jpg

Comments on the kit to follow; tomorrow, as I'm a bit short on time tonight!