1/10 Imperial Speeder Bike

Hi All,

I just finished this cracker of a kit. I built as part of the "Blitzbau" group build over on the Unofficial Airfix Forum. The idea is you can choose any model you like and then build it within a 24hr period in real time with regular photographic updates. I did mine in 2 x 12 hr shifts, 9am thru 9pm sat and sun.

Its the old Airfix/MPC/AMT/ERTL kit of the Imperial Speeder Bike from "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" in 1/10 scale that I picked up at Yeovilton show last October.

I couldn't get the riders bottom on the seat as well as hands on handlebars and feet in stirrups, so may need some corrective work with the positioning of the stirrups, I'll see what I can do.

Other wise the kit was an absolute breeze to build bar the fit of the rider figure. The joint seams were a beggar to clean up especially around the boots. I cut his head off and repositioned it for a more animated look rather than the straight ahead look he had OOB.

I sprayed the whole bike Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black as base coat/primer then used Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown for the main body work colour using the underneath Black as a preshade. The bed roll on the back was simply dry brushed with Humbrol 110 and the chipping was done using a Berol Karismacolor Silver pencil. The rider was primed with dark Grey then sprayed Gunze H11 Flat White before I hand painted the semi gloss Black under suit with Humbrol 85 satin Black. The riders weathering was done by chipping his body armour with a scalpel to show through to the grey primer and the muddy boots and knees were achieved by using Gunze H310 Brown spattered on with a fine brush then airbrushed on for the overall dirtying up.

Hope you all enjoy it. :speak_cool:

ROTJ035.jpg

ROTJ037.jpg

ROTJ040.jpg

ROTJ038.jpg

ROTJ041.jpg

ROTJ036.jpg

• Like 1

Dribble, fibble, bibble, gurgle!!!!!! not only is it a very well finished model, you did it in 24 hours :yikes:

JB.

I wonder if I've still got all the parts for mine back in the loft at my old folks'? :hmmm: Looks great that Mike - especially given the speed at which you built it! :worthy:

Good job Mike. I built one of these many moons ago and had the same problem with the rider. I found the only way to sort it out, was to alter the angle of the handlebar and the footrests until his butt sat where it was meant to.

Blimey, that takes me back. I built that probably around 1990, then did it again as a 'what if' just after the first Gulf War. The premise of the build was a long range recon. version deployed to Tatooine. I did it RAF desert pink, with low viz markings, drop tanks and extra weapons on diagonal strakes. I mocked up a sensor suite mounted in between control vanes at the front a la AH-64, and added blade and whip aerials in likely places. Also turned a brass sand filter for what I imagined was the air intake underneath on the right hand side. I thoroughly enjoyed building it and I had totally forgotten I'd done it until I saw your pics! Thanks for taking me back.

Nice build by the way!!