FW 190 F Italian Campaign

Ayup all,

Correct, it's not a Spitfire. I bought this kit on New Year's eve and decided to knock it out asap.

The RLM 76 and 80 are Mr Colour. The RLM 79 is a Tamiya brew.

The wheels are a pair which won't be required for my Eduard kit. The harness has been cobbled together from bits and pieces.

The decals were the worst I've ever used. They just fell apart. Decals were replaced from spares, except for the swastika which was masked and sprayed.

Guns and pitot were replaced by tubing. Why Tamiya moulded them onto the wings, I'll never know.

I think I missed the mark on this one; too much green. I could have changed it, but didn't bother as SWOMBO expressed delight at the scheme. (In truth I didn't dare.)

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Thanks for looking. As always, comments are welcome.

Dave.

Lovely 190 Dude - I love the spinner especially :thumbsup: did you mask that or is it a decal? I've got a couple of 190s in the stash and I have trepidation about the spinners!!!!

also did you mask the camo or freehand it? :rolleyes:

Edited by timbo33

Nice job Dave, I must admit to being partial to this scheme.

Dave, what is your Tamiya mix for this. I'm in the process of building the Revell 1/72 in this scheme and I've laid down XF52 which agrees to the FS number in the instructions but it doesn't look right. Previously i've used Vallejo Sandy Brown which is a better shade but I want to try and stick to 1 paint if I can.

Also are there any online photos of these birds as i'm interested in how you've oversprayed the markings

Regards.

Nice job Dave, like it a lot! :goodjob:

I'm also interested in your thoughts on the scheme. I'm about to do the same kit, and while I am torn between this scheme and the Hungarian front one, at the moment this scheme is winning. I have a couple of B+W photos of the aircraft in question, but to me it looks really dark and very hard to tell where the green spots are?

The winter scheme is possibly more hackneyed, but is infinitely easier to interpret from old photos!

Jen.

Dave, what is your Tamiya mix for this. I'm in the process of building the Revell 1/72 in this scheme and I've laid down XF52 which agrees to the FS number in the instructions but it doesn't look right.

Also are there any online photos of these birds as i'm interested in how you've oversprayed the markings

Regards.

Hi,

For the sandgelb, I used 3 parts XF-59 to 1 part XF-64.

I found very little on line. What I did find were illustrations rather than photos. One point though is that it is uncertain whether it was black 10 or red 10. I saw one illustration of it as red 10. I tried to stick to the Tamiya markings, although I've been a little heavy handed. If I were to do it again, I'd paint all national insignia and not just the swastika. I've been led to beleive that the sqadron codes and insignia were addedafter the rough application of the green.

Not much help I'm afraid,

Dave

Nice job Dave, like it a lot! :goodjob:

I'm also interested in your thoughts on the scheme. I'm about to do the same kit, and while I am torn between this scheme and the Hungarian front one, at the moment this scheme is winning. I have a couple of B+W photos of the aircraft in question, but to me it looks really dark and very hard to tell where the green spots are?

The winter scheme is possibly more hackneyed, but is infinitely easier to interpret from old photos!

Jen.

Hi Jen,

Thanks!

I couldn't find any photos, so used the Tamiya guide, an illustration I found on line and another in a book I have. There seems to be a bit of a question wrt whether it was black 10 or red 10. I also think that I've erred on the heavy side with the green.

Regards,

Dave.

Lovely 190 Dude - I love the spinner especially :thumbsup: did you mask that or is it a decal? I've got a couple of 190s in the stash and I have trepidation about the spinners!!!!

also did you mask the camo or freehand it? :rolleyes:

Hi Tim,

The spiral is a decal. In fact, it was attempt #4!!! I finally sorted it by over-soaking to remove the glue. The spiral then wrapped easily around the spinner. It was fixed with three applications of Microsol. The camo was freehanded and on reflection, should have been a lot more subtle.

HTH,

Dave.

If you look at it real fast you almost see a G.50!!

Cheers Mike. My thoughts entirely. I wonder if the Germns conscripted Italian labour?

Dave

That's nice work. :goodjob:

Cheers Brian. I can at least say I've built one model this year.

Dave