1:48 Tamiya Sea Harrier FRS.1

AnonymousDFB1

Looks a good start Sis, well detailed kit by the look of it. Whats the office & driver like detail wise? You doing the box art markings? 801 NAS I think :hmmm:

Bex

Thanks Sis, the office is a joke, no detail other than a decal for the IP mind you I don't think you can see a lot ones its closed in the fuselage and hood down, and the pilot is not the best moulded one around. It's a very simple kit.

Markings I'm not sure about yet I have a choice of three.

NAS 899 Yeovilton, NAS 800 HMS Hermes and NAS 801 HMS Invincible.

The box art is for NAS 800

Good start!

Are you going to open panels for the engine?

Just the top one Peri

Thanks Sis, the office is a joke, no detail other than a decal for the IP mind you I don't think you can see a lot ones its closed in the fuselage and hood down, and the pilot is not the best moulded one around. It's a very simple kit.

Markings I'm not sure about yet I have a choice of three.

NAS 899 Yeovilton, NAS 800 HMS Hermes and NAS 801 HMS Invincible.

The box art is for NAS 800

:hmmm: Id have thought a Tamiya kit would be more detailed........ I was close with the markings :lol: Go for the Hermes Bird :pray:

Bex

Yay, our first Harrier :D

Nice start Mish, the SHAR FRS.1 has to be the best looking of all the Harriers :wub: I'll be keeping a close eye on this one :)

Yeah, it is one of Tamiya's older kits, and I believe it's got a few shap issues? I don't know where I heard that, but I understand that in terms of shape the Airfix FRS.1 is the better kit... although having the latter, there's also a lot of work to do on that one too :shrug:

Would a Harrier expert care to elucidate on that, or call me names for talking crap?

Yeah, it is one of Tamiya's older kits, and I believe it's got a few shap issues? I don't know where I heard that, but I understand that in terms of shape the Airfix FRS.1 is the better kit... although having the latter, there's also a lot of work to do on that one too :shrug:

Would a Harrier expert care to elucidate on that, or call me names for talking crap?

I've heard exactly the same Mike. Having built the Airfix GR3, this one is the better kit quality wise if nor accuracy wise.

I built a couple for people a few years back. It's not one of Tamiya's star offerings to say the least. The nose doesn't look right, lots of the fuselage detailing is pure GR.1 rather than SHAR, pylons need a bit of reshaping. But both of the people I built them for liked them and didn't notice the errors! The only significant bit of work I did to them both was chopping off the vortex generators on the wings and replacing them with plastic card (long, boring job). Fit on the engine panels is awful - get the filler ready Mish!

I built a couple for people a few years back. It's not one of Tamiya's star offerings to say the least. The nose doesn't look right, lots of the fuselage detailing is pure GR.1 rather than SHAR, pylons need a bit of reshaping. But both of the people I built them for liked them and didn't notice the errors! The only significant bit of work I did to them both was chopping off the vortex generators on the wings and replacing them with plastic card (long, boring job). Fit on the engine panels is awful - get the filler ready Mish!

Thanks for the info, I plan to leave the tope engine panel loose so hopefully I won't need filler on this one :pray:

Edited by Mish

The Tamiya kit is rather poor-!!! The Shar deserves a lot better! There are shape issues around the nose, and fin.....

Tamiya originally issued this kit as a GR1/AV8A and re-tooled it into the SHAR. It therefore features the wrong type of Airbrake and Wing Pylons (I think?). I suspect that the engoine details maybe a bit fanciable too!!!

Its not all bad though...the undercarriage units are okay as are the nozzles!!

And Mish....

I did build one once..it featured in a very old SAMI - pre D/SLR days!! I added the Flightpath set. The wingtop vortex generators (build like 1/48th scale house bricks!) are best replaced. Openning up the auxilliary doors on the intakes will improve this kit a lot!

Good Luck!!!!!

Everything stated about shape issues so far is true and add some dodgy intake shapes to the mix. If truth be told my one will likely end up as a parts donor for other SHAR builds :puke: At least the decal sheet has some nice options.

Good luck with your build Mish, always nice to see another early Harrier making progress.

looks nice so far Mish.

The Tamiya kit was a bit of a nightmare, I think they tried to make it to complex (certainly as it's only 1/48 scale) I did have one of these in the distant past, but sold it back on Ebay. I built the Airfix one instead, not a easy build it's self, but I think both with time and effort can look good.

This is my Airfix Sea Harrier

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838154.jpg

Dave

Cor - you don't hang about Mish.

The "panel" above the engine is actually four separate panels, hinged on a removable spine on the real thing. Shout if you want more info.

Whilst you have to applaud Tamiya for including an engine, I have to say it bears only passing resemblance to the real thing, though I do like the "decorations" on the gearbox. It may well be wise to fit the panel above and seal the thing away from prying eyes...

Iirc, Pavla do some aftermarket nozzles & Ian @ Heritage might too. As you say, those kit one are quite amusing.

When are you going to do a 1:24th one then? I reckon at this rate you'd finish one over a weekend. :)

Thanks Kirk,

Seems a same to seal away the engine even if it's inaccurate. I know it's inaccurate as I took some walkaround photos of the Pegasus at Hendon.

I won't bother with any AM bits for it at quite honestly the kit isn't worth it. I'll knock this one out and then concentrate on one of my other builds for the GB probably my Hase F-14D.

I have a 1:24 Airfix GR1 Harrier, that my dad built for me when I was a kid. It sits in a box awaiting restoration.

Not much done this morning, just the cockpit and engine in and the fuselage halves joined. Also built the wings and the nozzles. Look at the great quality of the vanes in the nozzles :rofl:

Bar the nozzles It actually looks quite good! I wondered if a set of Airfix Nozzles would fit if you could get some.

Good work Mish

Dave

Cor - you don't hang about Mish.

The "panel" above the engine is actually four separate panels, hinged on a removable spine on the real thing. Shout if you want more info.

Whilst you have to applaud Tamiya for including an engine, I have to say it bears only passing resemblance to the real thing, though I do like the "decorations" on the gearbox. It may well be wise to fit the panel above and seal the thing away from prying eyes...

Iirc, Pavla do some aftermarket nozzles & Ian @ Heritage might too. As you say, those kit one are quite amusing.

When are you going to do a 1:24th one then? I reckon at this rate you'd finish one over a weekend. :)

Heritage definitely do and they're good quailty and reasonably priced. £3.50 for four plus p'n'p.

Tony :clif: