Tornado Ferry Tanks

Rich F

My question is a simple one, the answer may not be. :shrug:

I'm in the process of building a GR.1 circa early 90's and am thinking of configuring it for a ferry flight, Im going to put the 1500ltr (small bags) on the the 2 wings stations as normal, I've seen some A/C carrying 2 on the wings and a 1500ltr on one of the belly stations, i want too put 2 on.

My question is this, did Tornados carry the config that I am suggesting, i.e. 4x 1500ltr tanks?

Probably one for Spike!

cheers in advance. ;)

Rich

I can't find any pictures at the moment but I think that configuration may have been used to ferry some aircraft to and from the Gulf during Operation Granby (GW1).

13 Squadron once displayed at Tornado at Fairford that was fitted with two 2,250 ltr and 2 1,250 ltr tanks: The answer to the question: "how much runway does that need to get airborne?" was (perhaps inevitably) "lots"!

4x 1500 litre tanks is a valid load :)

The 2x 2250 and 2x 1250 litre configuration is valid as well but is VERY very rarely flown as the jet handles like a real pig with that much extra weight and drag. With 2x 2250s filled up its already severely g and performance limited until some of the fuel is burned off, so add more and you have one seriously slow Tornado that can't turn to save its life! I recall this full fuel tank configuration being referred to on PPrune as 'Hippo' fit! :D

If you're using the 1/48 Italeri IDS kit its worth noting that the supplied fuel tanks are undersized, quite noticeabley so in my view (another Tonka resin upgrade thats been missed, lets hope Hobbyboss get it right!). The ones supplied in the 1/48 Italeri ADV kit are larger and more accurate, but getting 4 of them will be a job!

4x 1500 litre tanks is a valid load :)

The 2x 2250 and 2x 1250 litre configuration is valid as well but is VERY very rarely flown as the jet handles like a real pig with that much extra weight and drag. With 2x 2250s filled up its already severely g and performance limited until some of the fuel is burned off, so add more and you have one seriously slow Tornado that can't turn to save its life! I recall this full fuel tank configuration being referred to on PPrune as 'Hippo' fit! :D

There are a couple of pictures of Tornados with four 1,500 litre tanks deploying to the Gulf in World Air Power Journal's Gulf Air War Debrief and some with the two 2,250 and two 1,250 litre returning from the region. Apparently the latter fit was also used by some reconnaissance (GR1A) missions during GW1 if tanker support couldn't be arranged.

Edited by Richard E