RAN A-4G Scooter on the go

Mick Drover

Haven't got 'round to starting some threads here yet, but have finally settled on two entries for this GB. They're not what I foreshadowed (Post #111 on pg.6) last year when expressing an interest, but you've got the A-4G covered and the other intended build, an RN Phantom, wouldn't have been eligible as it is too far progressed to qualify. So, just this weekend I've dragged out from the stash a Hasegawa RF-4B and a Trumpeter RA-5C, both in 1/72. Plastic has been cut from the sprues, so these are very exciting times (for me anyway). Appropriate posts will be made in the near future ....... standby.

Cheers,

Andrew (and before you ask, no I can't remember what I was smoking prior to making that post last November. That said, we do still use such formal and floral language in letters to our superiors on rare occasion).

I hope we get to see them in the flesh in May for the ScaleACT comp down here in Canberra :D

...ohh and Mick, nice job onthe scooter so far :D

Thanks Ray. How go your entries?

Well Mick, I pulled an S-3 out of the stash the other day and had a look at it :D, but not done anything on it yet. I have a couple to finish up for a comp here in Canberra by the end of the month ( 2 weeks actually), then I will clutter the bench again with another 2 or 3 new builds.

I also have a Tornado to start for the GB as well as a couple on the go for GBs over at ARC, so many GBs, so little time!

:cheers:

G'day guys,

Well I've managed to get some paint ontot the Scooter today andit's starting to look the goods. I've found a few small areas that need to be cleaned up but nothing drastic.

Andrew...your tip on the Gunze H61 IJN grey paid off a treat. It has just enough of a blue hue in it to be not over done. Although the proof will be in the pudding when the darker grey goes on next.

I've also made a start on the RN Merlin. I'll hoepfullhave some photos on the start I've made. The Scooter pics arebelow.

Commentsand suggestions welocme!!!

Mick

30001.jpg

30002.jpg

30003.jpg

30003.jpg

Edited by Plastic_nuts

Nice going, Mick.

I can't claim the credit for the IJN Grey; my idea was to use USAF Aircraft Grey (FS16473). It's great to hear that you've found an appropriate colour and I'm looking forward to your next set of pictures with the dark grey.

Andrew.

Nice going, Mick.

I can't claim the credit for the IJN Grey; my idea was to use USAF Aircraft Grey (FS16473). It's great to hear that you've found an appropriate colour and I'm looking forward to your next set of pictures with the dark grey.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew,

I had a look on the IPMS Stockholm site for an equivalent Gunze colour for the USAF Grey. The Gunze H61 IJN Grey came out as an equivalent. Thanks for th tip though!!!

Mick

Pushing my luck here..... sorry Mick!

Richard,

How's the heat? Hope you and the family are bearing up okay. Any word on the release of your Kiwi A-4 sheets in 72nd?

Andrew.

Sorry for the late reply Andrew, been a bit busy here of late.

We're surviving the heat, just. Thank goodness we have a good air conditioner!

As for Kiwi A-4 sheets in 72nd, not sure just yet as I have other projects in line first.

Cheers

Richard.

G'day Richard,

Sincerest apologies for that. Was the company originally strted in NZ or am I mistaken with someone else???

Confused.

Mick

No worries Mick. Always been in South Australia, you must be thinking of someone else?

Cheers

Richard.

Hi Mick,

I realise it may be too late but here are the mixes for an Aussie Skyhawk that I have managed to come up with. My mix is based on actual RNZAF photos which were all pretty consistent in tone and also showed the other camouflage schemes too so they were a pretty good basis to create the mixes from.

Light Admiralty Grey

XF-23:1

XF-2:8

Aircraft Grey

XF-20:2

XF-19:2

XF-2:1

Hope this is of some help to people.

Cheers

Richard.

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow but I recently got the second grey on my A-4G. I think I've got the tonal difference between the colours reasonably close. I'm happy with it any way.

For those after the colours used I chose Gunze Colours H61 IJN grey for the light grey and H317 FS36231 Grey. There is a little bit of touch up and over spray to fix which is evident but I'll pass it over to you folks for a verdict.

Mick.

P.S: The Italeri Merlin has been started although I don't think she'll be finished in time although a week of holidays might change that.

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

Edited by Plastic_nuts

Hey Andrew,

No need to apologise about the rambling...that's what these forums are for I say!!!

I'll experiment with the combo of blue and grey before committing paint to model. The greys I'm looking at are all Gunze.

51 Light Gull Grey

325 Grey FS26440

Light Aircraft Grey BS631C/627.

I've noted the FS colour you've suggested and I'll give it a shot by itself and see how it goes.

Hopefully pics will follow post club workshop on Sunday.

Mick

P.S. Have you got anything on the go for the GB???

I've long wanted to do an Australian Skyhawk myself in the air superiority scheme. I understand that it's BS381c-697 Light Admiralty Grey and -693 Aircraft Grey. I've seen FS36187 and FS35414 quoted as approximations to these. What these colours actually are I haven't a notion, but I believe Light Admiralty Grey was the colour of RN warships up to the early '70s, when it was supplanted by BS381c-676 light Weatherworks Grey. I don't know if they're in Light Admiralty Grey, but the aircraft carrier anchors at the gate of the FAA museum, Yeovilton, are light blue.

Probably best to use your judgment and go with what looks right against photographs here.

Joseph