John's Entry

kstater94

Hey John, thats a real nice choice of crate! :speak_cool:

Looking forward to seeing the build.

Doc

(no blood to be spilt in the making of this Toom) Be careful with those knifes..... :bleh:

LOL!!!

Thanks Doc, I'll be sure to pace myself and be a little more careful on this one!!

Cheers

John

Looking forward to seeing this. If you're thinking of using SNEB pods on it, I think you're out of luck. The FAA used RN Rocket pods which were different to SNEB's (something to do with corrosion I think). I don't know anyone who does these!

Looking forward to seeing this. If you're thinking of using SNEB pods on it, I think you're out of luck. The FAA used RN Rocket pods which were different to SNEB's (something to do with corrosion I think). I don't know anyone who does these!

No kidding?? :confused:

Thanks for that info Graham, I always thought that the rocket pods that were fitted to RN phantoms were SNEB pods...

Wait! what kind of rocket pods do they include in the RN release of the Buccaneer? :hmmm:

Again, thanks for the caution there Graham

Cheers!

John

Thanks for that info Graham, I always thought that the rocket pods that were fitted to RN phantoms were SNEB pods...

Wait! what kind of rocket pods do they include in the RN release of the Buccaneer? :hmmm:

Cheers!

John

If I know Airfix, they supplied the same pods in both the RAF & RN Buccs! Thinking about it some more, I seem to recall there was some possibility that ECM equipmeny aboard RN vessels could ignite the rockets in RAF SNEB type pods(!) I hope I'm not being missleading here - someone who knows more may chip in.

Cheers!

John

The Airfix Buccaneer kit has got SNEB pods with it. I didn't know the RN used anything different from the RAF for rocket pods to be honest. I'm not saying you're wrong, but when I was researching for my Bucc I found blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk and there are a few loadouts on there for naval Buccs which include SNEB pods. Perhaps they used them while ashore, in which case you could get away with using them on your Phantom as aircraft are bound to go ashore at some point, probably even in their "shipboard" markings. Nobody ever said the aircraft had to be depicted as onboard a carrier. :)

The differences between the two types of rocket pod are discussed on here.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84721

There are good piccies of both types towards the end of the page. The major external difference is that the 2" pod has 3 rows of rocket tubes whilst the Sneb has only 2 rows. I'm fairly sure the 2" pod is available in a kit somewhere. I seem to recall seeing a very nice model of a Falklands Harrier GR3 that had them fitted, in the not too distant past.

Gary :)

Hello John, and a belated happy new year to you. Lovely choice of model for the broup build, and I shall look forward to seeing your progress. I have some 1/48 rocket pods from my Airfix Harrier GR3 going spare if you are interested. Give me the word and they are yours my friend.

Have a good one mate

Best wishes

Andy :)

Hello John, and a belated happy new year to you. Lovely choice of model for the broup build, and I shall look forward to seeing your progress. I have some 1/48 rocket pods from my Airfix Harrier GR3 going spare if you are interested. Give me the word and they are yours my friend.

Have a good one mate

Best wishes

Andy :)

Hi Andy!

And a most happy new year to you and Sarah!

As for the pods, I just checked and I have both the Airfix AND the Heller kits. Yeah, I know it's the same kit... I figure I'll put two of the SNEB pods from the Canberra in each Harrier kit and grab two of the rocket pods that come in the Harrier kits for my Phantom. That way I have the option of building my GR.3's as standard RAF machines or ones that participated in the Falklands.

So, thanks for your kind offer of the pods but I think I'm good to go!

Cheers my friend!

John

Alright, alright

I'll post something... :D

I've been going full out on this one. I had actually started another one prior to this. However, that one is destined to wear 767 squadron markings

Here is my 892 squadron FG.1 as she sits at the moment. I've noticed that there are a few seams that I need to clean up but I'm pretty happy with the progress thus far

FG1.jpg

Cheers!

John

Youre getting there John, though I would have expected it done by now :bleh::tease:

Ive got an 892 Lady lined up after the Seahawk and tbh I cant wait to get her started :wub:

Bex

Youre getting there John, though I would have expected it done by now :bleh::tease:

Ive got an 892 Lady lined up after the Seahawk and tbh I cant wait to get her started :wub:

Bex

I know... I'm slacking! :lol:

Wow, as Anthony pointed out, we're going to have quite a few Phantoms from 892 in this GB. Guess I didn't realize just how many!

That's awesome!

Cheers

John

Looking great john thus far, what colour have you used? for a 767 bird this looks perfect (they seemed a little bluer than the norm, and not at sea they didnt fade the same!)

I would add mine to the mix but I had an episode and decided the airfix buccaneer was a good idea at the time!

Anthony

Looking great john thus far, what colour have you used? for a 767 bird this looks perfect (they seemed a little bluer than the norm, and not at sea they didnt fade the same!)

I would add mine to the mix but I had an episode and decided the airfix buccaneer was a good idea at the time!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony

The color that I used is FS36118 (Gunship Grey). I chose that color based on checking the equivalency chart which was posted over on ARC. Plus, being over here in the colonies, that was the most readily accessible paint available.

I think, after I've weathered it and given it a wash, that it will look like a fleet FG.1

As I mentioned, the other FG.1 that I am building (but not for this GB due to when I started it) will be in 767 markings. I plan on painting it up as one of the RAF painted machines that 767 squadron "borrowed" for training.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your FG.1. Hopefully it is something that can be easily fixed!

Cheers

John

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your FG.1. Hopefully it is something that can be easily fixed!

Cheers

John

No nothing untoward with the FG1, I just decided to build the Bucc in a moment of craziness - rash decision given the amount of plastic which has to be removed for the pavla cockpit! I create work for myself! The FG.1 may come out in the end anyway, did you manage to send those stabilators? (thanks very much!!)

I used Tamiya gunship grey originally on the colonial model, but it was far too dark on mine. It looks nice on your model though.

Anthony