My first year 'back' to modelling...

Stebos

A lot of firsts for me in the last year, lots still to learn!

I'm quite happy with managing to get 8 done.

I started the year by finishing the Tu-22 Blinder (1/72 Revell rebox of Esci), I rather like it's brutal sleekness.

tu22pic3.jpg

I made a promise to never again brush paint so much NMF!

Next to get finished was my Hunter for the RAF @ 90 GB (1/72 Revell), It's a lovely kit indeed.

hunter3.jpg

I was getting blocked up with 2 other tricky builds, so to keep things going I picked a simple OOB kit - Fujimi's F7U Cutlass in 1/72. Goes together well and I always like those naval grey/white colours.

cut1.jpg

Next to get finished was my first ship model, the Suvorov (1/350 Zvezda rebox of Eastern Express). My last brush painted kit, I'd started this one first but it took a long time to eventually get motivated to finish. It needs a PE railing set to really make it, but that was beyond me at the time.

Suv1.jpg

I finished my HEMTT (1/35 Revell) for the modern armour GB next, my first airbrushed model and first use of PE. I hope to add the MLRS counterpart to it this year.

m977%20show3.jpg

The JASDF GB was next, the tiny Mitsubishi MU-2 (1/72 Hasegawa) going together nicely, but the decals made me want to just bin it. I'm glad I persevered though.

mu2complete%202.jpg

After much fiddling and the odd curse I got my BOB GB entry done in the nick of time. Special Hobby's He 59 in 1/72. I really pushed myself on this one, and I'm very chuffed with it.

He59D%2012w.jpg

Lastly, I knocked out Italeri's S-37 (or SU-47) Berkut (1/72) in a week or so, just a relaxing OOB build for a bit of airbrush practice. The decals were horrid, but I like it's menacing lines.

s37%201.jpg

This year I'm hoping to finally get a handle on the basics and to make progress on my quality of finish.

Thanks for looking!

Nice variety in your work Stebos. You have mastered the airbrush by the looks of the HEMTT. You have tackled a number of difficult subjects and presented them beautifully.I will be interested to see your summary of this year's efforts in about 12 months time.

:cheers:

As mentioned above, as impressive as the builds themselves, is the vartiety of model types. Great work.

Love the floatplane!

Thanks for the kind comments! My stash makes little logical sense... with no collection of built kits to speak of, last years was all in response to GB's and club theme nights so I had something to bring along.

I hope to approach some of the amazing showpieces seen elsewhere in this yearbook.

I have 3 big projects I hope to finish in 2009.

- Trumpeters BR 52 train & Morser Karl in 1/35, about 6 feet long!

- A beach diorama for the D-Day GB, still planning out this one. I hope to learn from the mistakes and false paths I made with the He 59.

- A focus on twin boom aircraft. Brampton's SIG for a day this year is twin booms, there's about a dozen in my stash, most I've never seen built before so I'm going to see how many I can get done before I get bored of them!

I've seen a lot of people dismiss the Tu-22 kit as 'unbuildable' due to it's many many accuracy issues (it's meant to be 2" short, though I've seen sources that suggest the Blinders had variable lengths depending on which one you're doing.)

But it *looks like* one from a distance anyway and there's none other out there.

I've been thinking of doing another one as it can be found quite cheap (mine was £8) and accuracy issues aside goes together reasonably well (think italeri fit). The brushwork is horribly streaky up close, so now I have an airbrush and alclads I can try for a better second go of it.