Andy's Sea Hurricane

brooksy

Well here goes, another year, another group build. I'm determined to finish a model after my failure in the Jaguar GB and my continued slow progress with the old girl. I have chosen the nice little 1/72 Revell Sea Hurricane Mk IIc for this GB. It will be pretty much OOB to help me keep momentum, but I may add a bit of extra detail here and there, as long as I don't try to go over the top. I am also using it as much needed practice with the airbrush as I am very much a novice in this area. Here's the kit.

DSC02536.jpg

Started today and got the interior colour sprayed onto the fuselage halves and cockpit parts. I resorted to using the decal for the insrument panel. It looks pretty gross on it's own, but as I have to have the canopy in the closed position, it will at least enable something to be seen through the tiny windows. I didn't think that dry brushing the kit part would work as the detail on the kit part was very fine. I also got the wings together and it's proving to be a very nice fit so far. Here's the progress for today.

DSC02558.jpg

I don't have much in the way of reference material, so does anyone know about the head rest above the pilot's seat. Should it be black or a brown leather effect? Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers for now

Andy :)

Looking good so far Andy :thumbsup2: Give Pat C a PM, hes got my "Winkle" Brown Wings of the Navy book and that should IIRC answer the question. (tell him I put him in the frame)

Bex

Managed to do a bit of work this evening, and finished the cockpit. No frills really except some Tamiya tape seatbelts to liven up the seat, as that is about the only thing you will be able to see through the canopy I think. I don't think they're particularly accurate, but it will give the general effect.

Bex, I went with brown for the headrest, as I really wanted to get the job done tonight and didn't know how long it would take for Pat to get back to me, so I went for an educated guess that it would be a brown leather pad. I know it seems a bit gash to guess all these things, but I want to concentrate my effort on the outside of the model and get some confidence with the spraying and finishing. Really enjoying just getting somewhere :footy:

DSC02560.jpg

I will glue the fuselage halves together before bed, and tomorrow night I can hopefully attach the wings. If anyone thinks the seat belts should be darker brown could you let me know please as it's an easy fix at this stage :thumbsup2:

Thanks for looking

Regards

The seat belts look fine, especially in this scale, I think the head rest is leather but again in a small scale i don't think it will make much of a difference. what version are you going for, the traditional or the white one?

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I shall be doing the traditional camo scheme, as it will give me more practice with the airbrush, and I do prefer it personally. I think it looks smart in that scheme and markings.

Cheers

Those used to fly from RNAS Inskip, just up the road from me nowadays. However, they had the guns removed, being used for deck-landing training (there is a nice series of photos from HMS Ravager) and for rocket-firing training. The photos do not show rocket rails.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've now got the main parts together, and I'm taking my time fettling all of the joints, so I still have work to do before adding any more parts. I also trial fitted the canopy at this stage, and I may have to glue a small shim between the canopy and the spine, as it looks a little short when the front end mates with the windscreen properly. I think it'll be easier to set the front end up with no gaps and take up any slack at the back end, rather than doing it the other way round. Either that or I could get a vac formed canopy, but I've never used one before, and the kit one looks fine to me, as long as I can get a snug fit. Pleased to see it taking shape though :hobbyhorse:

DSC02564.jpg

You won't be able to see much through the canopy when the framework has been painted!

DSC02567.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the replies. Deon, I shall most likely be using the bluetac method of creating the camo pattern, but will be experimenting on some scrap first. The painting stage is what I really want to concentrate on, to build up my confidence with the airbrush.

I've had man flu over the weekend so I've struggled to sleep properly. Instead I've been going to bed late and getting up early, so some progress has been made :)

This first shot shows just what a brilliant little kit this is. It's got so much detail and is really nicely moulded. As you can see, the only fit problems are a slight gap around the radiator cowling, and where the rear fuselage insert fits, just in front of the tailwheel. This will be tricky to get spot on because of the ribbed effect, but fortunately it's underneath ;) Can't complain really!

DSC02568.jpg

As I was preparing to fit the tail planes, I noticed that they are a bit pants compared to the rest of the kit. There is no real definition to the elevators, so I thought I would scribe a heavy line to seperate them from the horizontal stabilizers. After my ham fisted efforts with my scriber they then looked totally pants, so I decided to go the whole hog and cut them. I had toyed with this idea before hand, as almost all my photos of a Hurricane at rest show the elevators drooped. Maybe the pilot pushes the stick forward to make it easier for him to get out :shrug:

The kit parts looked like this,

DSC02578.jpg

After being chopped, filed to shape, and a bit of brass wire added, they looked a bit nicer than my rescribed effort.

DSC02580.jpg

And a dry fitting to the bum end made it all worth while :lol:

DSC02579.jpg

Going back to the canopy problem, I tested the fit once more, and a 10 thou shim fitted nicely to push the front end of the canopy tightly up against the windscreen.

DSC02575.jpg

This has now been glued in place and when it has gone rock hard I will shape it to blend in with the spine properly. I have noticed that the kit is wrong in this area anyway, as the real canopy overlaps the spine by a few inches, whereas the kit canopy butts up against it. If I had the skills I would have a go at making a vac form one a little bit longer, and slightly higher. If I'm lucky and keep my mouth shut, perhaps no one will notice ;)

Thanks again for looking,

Regards

This will be tricky to get spot on because of the ribbed effect, but fortunately it's underneath ;) Can't complain really!

DSC02568.jpg

Try tipex Andy, it works a treat in spots like that.

you can brush it on, let it dry and scrape of any excess with a bit if wood or your finger nail. (see picture)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...9/244102992.jpg

Nice work so far (certainly for 1/72) and it does look a pearler of a kit.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Well, I was making a little progress on this, until I discovered that I've lost my instructions :banghead: I don't suppose any of you guys or gals have this kit lurking in your stash, and could PM or e-mail me the painting and decalling guide from the back could you? :blush: Last time I saw mine was in the model shop, when I went to buy some paints.

Thanks