1/48 Airfix Super Etendard

Dr_Fester

Hi,

Always have liked the graceful look of the Super Etendard and having picked up a 1/48 Airfix SUE a few years ago this GB seems a good time to jump to the top of the 'to-do' pile. I searched earlier in the year for a Neomega cockpit set for it but had no luck, ".....should have some in for SMW Telford" I was told. Indeed I managed to grab one at this years show and now ready to go.

sue1.jpg

Looks a nice kit initially only downside being the sparse cockpit, but that is sorted with the Neomega pit. Panel lines although engraved are a little shallow but no worries.

Eventually made a start today with the fitting of the resin pit, never really had much luck with resin and however hard I try it always seems a tight fit :undecided: . After much trimming/dry-fitting/trimming I eventually got to point ready for some paint.

sue2.jpg

Still have to make the HUD but that will be added after the fuselage is assembled. Before I shut up the fuselage does anyone know if this is a tail-sitter? I can add plenty of weight to the nose if I have to, but if anyone can help that would be great.

More soon.

Doc

Excellent choice Doc, I'm a big fan of the SUE too :D

An excellent start to the build, will be following this with much interest :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments, most welcome. :thumbsup:

Seeing as my build thread was last on the list it seems you lot have been hard at work with your builds. Sorry for the lack of updates but just to let you know how the build is progressing.

Well the airframe is together, a few suspect joints which still need some attention but the basic outline is there now.

sue4.jpg

I have assembled under wing tanks, exocet and wheels ready for paint, still got the ip/bang seat to install then the canopy which is already futured and masked.

sue3.jpg

The wingspan of this aircraft surprised me, no wonder they had folding wing tips for the carrier. I intend building this with clean lines as I really like the graceful shape of the airframe so refuelling probe and airbrakes retracted.

Hopefully I will get some primer on this soon and painting to follow.

All the best

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

I've a feeling this GB will be *very* hard to judge.

You and me both Steve :boom:

Going together quite nicely there Doc :thumbsup2:

Bex

Thx Bex & Mish :blush:

So a quick update, cockpit has been installed and a few do-dahs added:-

sue5.jpg

Not my best attempt at cockpit detailing but it will do, ejection handles have been finished now with b/y stripes. As I said the intention was to assemble this with the cockpit closed and keep everything tidy, this all went out the window when having glued the forward canopy I offered up the main canopy!

sue6.jpg

Hmm... I guess this kit is supposed to be modelled canopy up, so thats what it will have to be. Got the underside white on this evening and then masked up the underside ready for the top colour which I will try and get on tomorrow. With the white colour loaded I also sprayed the tail surfaces which have the blue/white of the argentine flag, masked off the white and sprayed the blue colour.

sue7.jpg

Also painted u/c, exocet & fuel tanks so the end is in sight. Anyone got a good colour match for the topcoat?

More soon.

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Hi Doc,

You may remember I built this one a while ago ;) .

I used Humbrol 125 dark Sea Grey with five drops of Humbrol 25 Blue for the Argie camo, Revell satin white u/s IIRC.

My build threads are on here somewhere, but the pics have been removed (moved by me?) I will try to reinstate them for your ref if you like?

this was my effort....

Etendard061.jpg

Today's update;

Top coat sprayed on, masking removed and a few coats of Future applied ready for decals tomorrow (hopefully)

sue8.jpg

This one is going to be left with a semi gloss finish, seen plenty of photos of 'Shiney SUE's' to leave this with a nice semi gloss sheen.

sue9.jpg

Not brilliant lighting for the photos but looks lighter in the flesh. Quite happy with the Tamiya paint cocktail I made for the tail flash and topcoat, if a little dark.

super-etendard-argentine-3.jpg

Just a shame I masked the top of the tail wrong as the blue colour should extend down further. :tapedshut: Not paying attention..... you Fester get to the back of the class! :weep:

Cheers

Doc

That's looking sweet, got to love the lines of the Etendard family :wub:

Looking forward to seeing her with some decals on :)

Thx Seamus :winkgrin:

A quick question for any Exocet experts out there. Anyone know the correct tip colour to paint the exocet? I have seen a sandy yellow colour, light grey and a light blue.

super-etendard-argentine-41.jpg

Cheers

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester

Managed to bunk off work today so got stuck into the build again.

Got the majority of the decalling done but the decal sheet is so unregistered it could almost be 2 separate sheets! Whoever printed them should be shot.

Here is an example;

sue14.jpg

I know Mike had the same problem with his build so I'm guessing all these kits are the same. No problem obviously with single colour decals which thankfully most of them are on the model, but having a white base colour about 1mm away from the top colour REALLY shows up on a dark scheme like this SUE.

sue15.jpg

Anyhow enough moaning, here are some pics showing the current state of play;

sue10.jpg

sue11.jpg

As you can see I repainted the blue tail colour which is a closer match, needed a grey primer, layer of white and then the light blue. Gear and loadouts all painted so not long now.

sue12.jpg

sue13.jpg

Still leaves the red stripes for the wings and the nose badge to sort out.........hmm <_<

Cheers

Doc

It's actually a cool scheme the Argentinian one, innit? And those Exocets are big assed missiles! I'm currently reading the Falklands Forgotten Voices book, so this build's a little topical for me. Nice work as usual Doc ;)

Lookin' good Pete. B)

Those kit decals are a right pain in regard to register, but theres not many , if any, options to replace them out there in aftermarket land. Shame becuase the kit ones are accurate too.

The picture you posted with the question about Exocet colours is the picture I used a ref for mine, the grey missile nose I think denotes a live warhead as opposed to a drill round. Looks good in those colours anyway IMHO.

Thx Mike,

Yep I went for sky grey and will use some black decal stripe for the others. I will have a crack at printing some of the 'La Lora' (female parrot) logo's at work tomorrow, I intended cutting away the Sheffield & Atlantic Conveyer logos anyway as this will be pre-mission. The red wing stripes have already been applied by hand cutting the white edges away. (not good)

Like Mike(boss) I've been reading up on Falklands history and found that the Etendards had only been delivered in Nov 81, only months before the Argies moved in. France had started an arms embargo when it all kicked off so pilots and ground crew couldn't rely on French technical assistance to setup the arming of the AM39's. Although pilots had trained for months in France in 81 it's a remarkable feat that they managed to fire off any Exocets in the end!

More updates soon. :guitar:

Doc

Thx guys,

Just got a panel wash on at the moment and letting it dry, should have some photo's later today I hope.

Thought I would post a photo of the logo I reprinted yesterday, had to redraw the logo from internet photos and quite pleased with the result. The unit's badge, nicknamed 'La Lora' ('The Female Parrot'), though it actually represents a sparrow hawk armed with a stick.

sue16.jpg

I'm depicting this before the fateful mission against HMS Sheffield so I didn't need to draw these markings.

More soon.

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester