EA-6B Prowler

desmojen

Hi ya Jen,

Glad you got the decals sorted :thumbsup2: Shes turning out quite nicely, dont remember mine going together so easily :yikes:

Bex

Looking good Jen.

I think you over did the gold tint on the canopy though :tease:

Oh dear, another Mike I have to ignore :lol:

Prowler painting has begun!

First off, I put a couple of good coats of Gunze Sangyo Acrylic H308 (FS36375) on the whole model. This gives a good base to work on and provides coverage. Next up was the preshade.

353190804.jpg

There's a very good reason for doing it this way. Preshading only works if you apply a relatively transparent layer of paint over it, so by default you aren't going to get proper coverage. This leaves you at risk of being able to see through the colour in places where you don't want to!

353190815.jpg

This way, I am completely free to leave the preshade showing as much, or as little, as I want to without worrying about coverage. So another couple of coats of highly thinned H308 have gone on and now I wait for it to dry (being a semi gloss colour it takes a little longer) before I can add the darker grey.

I usually add some highlights at this stage, but it seems to me that this scheme is all about the dirt so I will let the fading be taken care with by the flat coat alone.

Jen.

And here we are with some dark grey on it. I used Xtracrylix for this and was reminded of how much I dislike the bloody stuff! Colour is FS35237 Blue Grey freehanded on following photos as best I could. On the real thing the colour is barely different, but it is much more obvious on the model :lol:

353234248.jpg

I then masked up for the walkways, painted in RAF Light Aircraft Grey, chosen because I knew it would look different as it has no blueyness to it. As it turns out it is a pretty good match to my photos, so that's nice :)

Finished up by putting a good solid flat coat on it to seal it all in and fade the colours off a bit. I will leave it overnight now before decalling and weathering fun tomorrow :D

Jen.

That's a good tip on the pre-shading. It's not a technique I've tried yet, I'd have just plonked it on the primer coat. I suppose for pre-shading on non-grey jets it would work placing the lines down between coats of the base colour? :hmmm:

Watching this build has convinced me I need to get one of these!

Thanks guys :D

Ridiculously neat you say Seamus, not sure what I should make of that :hmmm::lol:

Here's is the result of the rest of last weekends labours, decals are on....

353686451.jpg

They were a little bit hard to use, quite thick and a bit crispy. With some effort I got them all on though and they look ok. The tail art was never going to go on in one piece so I had to cut it into two. I also removed the section that would have gone over the bumps on the fin and later touched it in with a fine brush and some black paint.

With that done I touched up the flat coat and am now ready for weatherings to commence. How dirty to go, that is the question....!

Jen.

Ridiculously neat you say Seamus, not sure what I should make of that :hmmm::lol:

Well it's definitely a compliment, infused with a liberal amount of envy ;)

The Prowler's looking sweet, looking forward to seeing a bit of filth on her :)

Thanks guys :D

Here's is the result of the rest of last weekends labours, decals are on....

353686451.jpg

They were a little bit hard to use, quite thick and a bit crispy. With some effort I got them all on though and they look ok. The tail art was never going to go on in one piece so I had to cut it into two. I also removed the section that would have gone over the bumps on the fin and later touched it in with a fine brush and some black paint.

With that done I touched up the flat coat and am now ready for weatherings to commence. How dirty to go, that is the question....!

Jen.

Filth it up!! Those are some dirty girls!!!

That is looking REALLY good Jen.

Good tip on the pre-shade and obvious when you think about it, but not until someone explains and demonstrates does it all make complete sense! :worthy:

Looking forward to seeing some grime on the Prowler and are you intending to mist grey over the black decals to blend them?

Keep em coming

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still chipping away at this, bit by teeny little bit :)

The model has been subjected to numerous phases of postshading and washing since you last saw it. Basically, every time I was spraying something a suitable colour, I'd thin the dregs down and post shade little bits and pieces.

356018145.jpg

Once I thought I'd post shaded enough, I did a wash and then flat coated it again.

356018159.jpg

I've since added the touch up spots, I won't be flat coating again now, so I also removed the canopy masking. So, main weathering is pretty much done. I might add a few oily streaks and accentuate the wash in a few places yet, but it's mostly about where I want it now :)

356018185.jpg

Jen.