Hobbycraft 1/32 Sea Fury

zero

After tracking down a 48th scale Hobbycraft Sea Fury the other day I couldn't resist comparing the sprues against the ones in your thread, it seems they've simply scaled the whole thing up and added some weapons.

Since this has to be my favourite piston-engined aircraft I'm a bit biased but always good to see another one Dave.

Thanks Col

I know I'm taking my time on this one, but things are going on off screen so to speak and with this one I'm trying to stop those I wish moments. Ie I wish I had taken a little more time there, paid a bit more attention to that seam, etc The access panel on the wing caused the biggest problem I was all but finished and ready for Klear but then finding that needed blending in too, has put me back! Thats now done and the model is now ready and primed for two final coats of paint, it will take two due to the sanding that has taken place, but thats not all bad as it has meant me looking and attending to a few other areas as well

351134483.jpg

As you can see I have been doing other things

351134478.jpg

My one big problem with this kit is sloppy locators. last night I tacked the prop blades to the spinner only to find them not sitting at 90 degress, thankfully I tacked them so they were easy to remove had I not have done so I would have been knackered. so now each blade will need glueing and check it in right and fixed before moving on to the next. Another point like this is the U/C struts lovely locator holes in the wheel well, lovely pins on the top of the struts, it's just such a shame the two are not the same danmed size! If the socket was smaller I could drill it out, but as the struts locator is smaller I again am going to have to glue with care to ensure it right. I don't mind this but for young jonny on his first model or so building this, there are lots of pitfall to avoid.

Sadly I think the weather has me beat again today, it's freezing in here with the heater on and no sign of it improving outside, so the final coats are just not going to happen today, but what the hell. I'm not in a rush. I'll do a bit more surface prep and make sure I'm totally ready for a good day and then hopefully I can get two coats and the klear on to get her decaled. that canopy needs masking as well ;)

Dave

All things considered Dave, youre doing pretty well :thumbsup2: What is it with 48th Sea Furys? Each one Ive read about on here has been a complete nightmare for the builder :shrug:

Bex

P.S: Any post yet? :pray:

All things considered Dave, youre doing pretty well :thumbsup2: What is it with 48th Sea Furys? Each one Ive read about on here has been a complete nightmare for the builder :shrug:

Bex

P.S: Any post yet? :pray:

Hi Bex

Sadly no post yet! (and the kits 1/32) but other than that! :tapedshut::oops:

Actually the kit is not at fault, the undoing was my error. I was expecting a glass lenses, only when I took a close look I noticed it was not a landing light. The general fit of the airframe was very, very good, ie no Filler was used at all in the build, bar filling the pre drilled slots for the weapons. the prop blade and UC legs are minor issues that need care and attention. However for £40 (WHICH IS WHAT PAID! ARGH) It's not a bad kit (but that was one that had been imported early and I paid the price not realising it was a new kit. Doh!) Now if you can get one at £28 it's a bargain, I just hope the decals are okay (however I have some Ozzy Roundels spare from the Sea Venom, Phew!)

Thanks for all your comments, hopefully it will be a balmy 7 degrees tomorrow, so I hope to get the final coats on her. (and Kleared) time permitting

Dave

Edited by zero

Hi Dave,

The decals on mine were great, but I had to double up on the roundels as you could see the black/white stripes through them, shouldn't be a problem on yours but they did lay down well.

Cheers

Den

Hi Dave,

The decals on mine were great, but I had to double up on the roundels as you could see the black/white stripes through them, shouldn't be a problem on yours but they did lay down well.

Cheers

Den

Thanks Den

I have been worried a little about them looking white on the dark blue. I have a set of 1/32 french bearcat markings in my decal stash and I noticed these have some white blanks ones in, if there the right size I think I will use those under the roundels hopefully that will boost the white.

PS where did you get your Fisher prop from?

Dave

GRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :frantic:

Well I just laid down the final coat

351263079.jpg

As you can see, now I have a nice shiny surface you can see two nasty sinks, I have never seen these until last night, and now shinny paint is on you can really see them

However I'm hoping I don't need to rework these, as these are right where the decals sit. After the bottom is painted I will be coating the model with clear ready to decal, so that hopefully will act as a leveler as well, I'm thin going to use two Decals in the area, Ie a white blank, and then the full decal over that, as the whole lot will get another coat of Klear after as well, I think and hope this will not show.

Dave

Final paint coats on, and one thin coat of clear to make the decals adhere better.

Now Awaiting Decals

351267396.jpg

351267402.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave, got the prop direct from Fisher, not cheap, but fast service !

Cheers

Den

http://fishermodels.com/

Thanks for the linky Den

$15.00 for the prop and the alingment tool doesn't seem to bad. However they may have been a bit cany after the Hobbycraft kit was released and dropped the price. I think I have nailed mine, it looks okay and I'm happy with it, but agree the Fisher one is worth it.

Dave

Hi Dave,

WOW!! The Aussie decals really pop out on that blue paint!!

Looks great!

Ted

There really do don't they Ted!

Bit more work this Morning, nearing the finishing line with this one now.

First time down on the gear.

351393493.jpg

351393499.jpg

Dave

That's looking pretty spiffy there Dave.

Cheers

Den

Thanks Den

Not quite there, few minor tweeks, ie nav lights, U/C doors etc, but should be finished by sunday hopefully (weking nights over the weekend) so if I'm tired, i'll leave it.

Dave

I've spent about an hour this afternoon just finishing this one off. now all done (but I may rework the canopy as there were no framing lines and it looks a bit heavy) but I'm going to call it a day for now on this one.

Picture colour is a bit washed out due to using a flash, but I will take some daylight pictures tomorrow for the gallery.

351795022.jpg

351795029.jpg

351795036.jpg

I've enjoyed this build, and it's really nice to nail the first one of the year so early.

Dave

Nicely done Dave!!

I have a couple of the Hobbycraft Sea Furies, one which I'm doing the minor conversion to make the land plane version in Iraqi markings and one to do the RCN one with the dayglo panels on it.

I hope mine turn out as good looking as yours has!

Ted

Nicely done Dave!!

I have a couple of the Hobbycraft Sea Furies, one which I'm doing the minor conversion to make the land plane version in Iraqi markings and one to do the RCN one with the dayglo panels on it.

I hope mine turn out as good looking as yours has!

Ted

Thanks Ted

I still have the Iraq marking from my boxing if you need spares. I am only interested in the RN ones now for my other fury in the stash

Dave

That sure looks good, had the same problem with the canopy framing as well, but at the price they are selling for I think I may build another one, it's good practice for the AB !

Cheers

Den

It's all your fault, I've just bought another one and the Xtradecals sheet as well ! Unfortunately the Fisher prop is shown as sold out on their site, but my finger was hovering over the "add to cart" button on the cockpit set, but I resisted.

Cheers

Den

It's all your fault, I've just bought another one and the Xtradecals sheet as well ! Unfortunately the Fisher prop is shown as sold out on their site, but my finger was hovering over the "add to cart" button on the cockpit set, but I resisted.

Cheers

Den

LOL

Hard luck Den, but that Decal sheet is awfully tempting, glad mine was well started when I found out about it. the prop was not so bad once I ensured all the blades were at 90 degrees. although a cockpit set would add to it, but without a two piece canopy much of it would be losts.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I'll keep that in mind. I might end up with two or three more Sea Furies as in Canada they aren't all that expensive ($40.00 CDN) and all three releases have a good selection of subjects.

I really want to do one of those German birds in gloss red! That would be almost as striking as yours!

Talk to you soon,

Ted