World Naval Forces GB Ship Gallery

Seamus

Please post you completed ship models in here. Due to the number of builds expected, please keep the maximum number of pics to four. Also, please refrain from commenting on each build as we'll have a thread 1000 pages long- use the build thread for comments, or an RFI if the builder posts one . Cheers :)

Edited by Seamus

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Well, I am at the finish line:

On the 16th April 1945, Oblt. Franz Säck guided U251, a type VIIC German U-Boat, out of Kiel. A man in his mid thirties, Franz Säck was on his first war patrol. The boat itself was a veteran of 8 war patrols, although having accounted for the sinking of only two ships, the Jutland and El Capitan, both in 1942.

U251 In June 1942, Shortly after her first success, and shortly before her second.

U-251June1942.jpg

Oblt. Franz Säck

sack_franz.jpg

Three days later and a multinational flight of Mosquito’s from the Bannf Strike wing are led by Wg Cdr A H Simmonds over the Kattegrat, eight of these British and Norwegian aircraft (squadrons 235, 248 and 143) launch a rocket attack on U251 when it is spotted at the surface.

DM-S of 248 Squadron

DM-S.jpg

Of the 43 crew members aboard during the attack, only 4 survive, leaving 39 to perish. Oblt. Franz Säck is one of those who survives both the attack and the war, living on to the age of 74.

The Banff strike wing had been enjoying recent successes, with two U-Boats sunk only 10 days earlier, and two more U-boats damaged the day of U251’s sinking. The Banff strike wing continued to be successful, flying its last large scale attack on the 4th May 1945, consisting of 48 Mosquito’s.

I have always wanted to build a U-Boat, and chose U251 from the kit decal options due to the story above I discovered whilst reading about the boats depicted by the kit. I had always intended adding ‘something’ to depict the scale of the boat, and a 1/144 Mosquito seemed ideal.

I have only being building models for a few months now, so am happy with the outcome, although I am well aware of the mistakes I have made (there are probably many more I am blissfully unaware of!). The revel U-Boat was a great kit, the Aeroclub Mosquito my first ‘short run’ kit. Scratch building the cockpit was fun, and printing my own decals great. I have learnt lots, and look forward to the next group build (Vacform – argh!).

I am not that happy with the base now it is done, so may re-do that, but for the purposes of the GB, this is it...

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

Hope you like,

Dan.

Edited by Daniel