For Comparison Purposes- Fujimi 1/72nd F-14A Tomcat

Hi Everyone,

i've submitted a few shots here and there before, but i recently re-photographed my Fujimi F-14A. i know a lot of people prefer the Hasegawa kit in 72nd scale, but i found this kit to be not too bad overall. Its slightly over engineered like the Hasegawa kit, but in different ways. Fujimi also gives you some added freebies in their kits, but their usefulness is a bit questionable because Fujimi has this knack for putting ejector pin marks in very undesirable places.

DSCN2938.jpg

DSCN2947.jpg

i wanted to build a clean static display aircraft, hence no weaponry. i added a piece of stainless hypo needle tubing to replace the kit fuel dump, and i did the old clear sprue for the wingtip light trick. i used some telescoping hypo needle tubing for the nose pitot probe as well. i took the cowards way out and fabricated FOD covers for the standby pitot, SAS, and OAT sensors since cleaning up those teeny weeny parts is such a pain. Intake plugs as well to avoid some tricky seam filling and masking in the intakes.

DSCN2939.jpg

DSCN2942.jpg

Finally, the attachment points for the Fujimi undercarriage are very weak. i used bits of brass wire and plastic rod in ket locations to make proper strong attachment points.

DSCN2945.jpg

Respectfully submitted for your consideration and comment. Thanks for Shopping!

All the best,

david

David: real nice TOMCAT..!! What a great looking a/c..!

Cheers,

ggc

Hi David,

Your Tomcat model is very beautiful indeed. It is an early Tomcat and this version is in the region where I find the Fujimi model works very well.

I have built two Fujimi Tomcats in the past. Both were F-14As : one was built as a VF-14 Tophatter, the other as a VF-31 Tomcatter a/c both in t in low Viz markings and with aftermarket decals.

By the way I have built that ver exact livery – hi viz VF-31 - but it was a Hasegawa model. What decals did you use? Aren't they the Hasegawa decals? or Carpena decals?

To put things clearly I believe both are good models although I share your point of view, both are a bit over engineered. The Fujimi kit might be a bit less tricky to build. There is that famous front/aft fuselage joint problem with the Hasegawa model but with care this can be overcome.

As your post title includes the words "for comparision purpose" allow me to add a few words :

- If you like "added external freebies" like engine models, pilots, weapons and you want to build an early A you can go for the Fujimi model

- if you like "added subversion freebies" and are more into the airframe and sub version accuracy (different wheel hubs, cockpit details, tails, exhausts, seats, ECM suites and fairings) Hasegawa is the best choice once you've chosen the right boxing. (just my point of view.).

I like your Tomcat very much. Congratulations. The aircraft is gone now but I still love to see beautiful models.

Cheers

Eric B.

Hi David,

Your Tomcat model is very beautiful indeed. It is an early Tomcat and this version is in the region where I find the Fujimi model works very well.

I have built two Fujimi Tomcats in the past. Both were F-14As : one was built as a VF-14 Tophatter, the other as a VF-31 Tomcatter a/c both in t in low Viz markings and with aftermarket decals.

By the way I have built that ver exact livery – hi viz VF-31 - but it was a Hasegawa model. What decals did you use? Aren't they the Hasegawa decals? or Carpena decals?

To put things clearly I believe both are good models although I share your point of view, both are a bit over engineered. The Fujimi kit might be a bit less tricky to build. There is that famous front/aft fuselage joint problem with the Hasegawa model but with care this can be overcome.

As your post title includes the words "for comparision purpose" allow me to add a few words :

- If you like "added external freebies" like engine models, pilots, weapons and you want to build an early A you can go for the Fujimi model

- if you like "added subversion freebies" and are more into the airframe and sub version accuracy (different wheel hubs, cockpit details, tails, exhausts, seats, ECM suites and fairings) Hasegawa is the best choice once you've chosen the right boxing. (just my point of view.).

I like your Tomcat very much. Congratulations. The aircraft is gone now but I still love to see beautiful models.

Cheers

Eric B.

D'OH!

Hello Eric,

i see you have found me out. The decals are in fact robbed from the Hasegawa kit. i did overpaint the white stars and red bars since they suffered from the characteristic Hasegawa "Not White Enough" syndrome.

The dead giveaway is the thick carrer film, visible in the port rear quarter shot.

Agree with your assessment 100% by the way.

All the best. Need to get back on the stick with my F-4B and my F-8 but for now the Hellcat takes priority.

Cheers,

david

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody.

Just thought people might appreciate seeing some pics of the Fujimi 72nd scale F-14 assembled for real. It's a pretty good kit, but i think that for every 10 pics i see of a completed Hasegawa Tomcat, i see maybe one or two of a completed Fujimi kit.

If anybody is planning on building one in the near future, please gimme a shout. i'm only too happy to help.

All the best,

david