Revell Gannet

Catbird

Any Gannet experts/fanciers out there may be able to help. I want to convert the Revell Gannet AS1 to a COD aircraft. Looking to do a Lossiemouth machine from the 1970s. Could anyone tell me the external differences between the different mks.

COD Gannets also had the radome removed in addition to having the baggage pods. Beyond that, as near as I can tell from pictures, any other changes would be internal, possibly simplified or stripped down second and rear cockpits.

I have the 4+ book on the gannet which has a nice set of 1/72 drawings of the Gannet and some of its weapons. once I get home I'll look at it and see if the cargo pod is included on those drawings. At any rate, I highly recommend the 4+ Gannet book.

Looking at pictures of the COD vs. AS marks of the aircraft, I'd be inclined to limit my aftermarket expenditures to a decal sheet. I can't see much difficulty involved in scratchbuilding what is needed to make the conversion.

Thank you for the help. I couldnt see there being many changes,if any, to the airframe its self. The baggage pods should be fairly easy to sort. They probably used a modified fuel tank of some sort anyway.

The baggage pods were modified from a rotary weapons dispenser and fellow Britmodeller Derek B was producing some masters for Model-Art Decal System to release as an accessory - you can follow his thread here Derek B's Gannet Pod Thread

As for the aerial wire arrangements - you really need to get some photo's of the aircraft you're planning on modelling to suss out the arrangement. It's not that COD Gannets in themselves had different HF aerial wires, it's that the aerial layout changed during the course of the aircraft's life. Early COD Gannets had a similar arrangement to the AS Gannets initially but this changed around the late sixties/early seventies. The Warpaint book has information on when this occured and has some good photo's too.

Model-Art Decal System have just brought out a sheet with some COD Gannets on their sheet MA7257 - Hannants has them Linky - they're nicely printed but the blue for the roundels looks too bright - almost ultramarine rather than roundel blue which is what I think they should be. I think that colour pictures make the roundel blue seem brighter against the oxford blue of the airframe and has perhaps led to the colour being interpreted differently - can't say for sure, it's only conjecture on my part and I'm not really bothered as I have plenty of spare roundels.

HTH

Wez

Hello Tigercat,

I think that Wez has just about wrapped the COD Gannet up nicely in terms of available AM parts and decals. I gave the baggage/mail pod master to Jean-Pierre (Model Art Decal System) at Telford SMW 2008, so hopefully, he shall have it produced and on the market in the near future.

Wez: If you feel that the roundle blue is incorrect on the Model Art decal sheet, e-mail Jean-Pierre directly (via the contact on his website) and he shall advise you as to whether it is correct or not, and any remedial action (if required).

HTH

Derek

Hello Tigercat,

I think that Wez has just about wrapped the COD Gannet up nicely in terms of available AM parts and decals. I gave the baggage/mail pod master to Jean-Pierre (Model Art Decal System) at Telford SMW 2008, so hopefully, he shall have it produced and on the market in the near future.

Wez: If you feel that the roundle blue is incorrect on the Model Art decal sheet, e-mail Jean-Pierre directly (via the contact on his website) and he shall advise you as to whether it is correct or not, and any remedial action (if required).

HTH

Derek

Thanks Derek,

I've re-checked my references and I think the blue is too bright. I'll drop Jean-Pierre a line - I've always found him extremely heplful, proactive and very forthcoming with information in the past.

Do you have any idea when he's planning on issuing the baggage pods?

Regards

Wez

Do you have any idea when he's planning on issuing the baggage pods?

Regards

Wez

According to his November catalogue M.Access 017 baggage pods available December 2008;

M.Access 016, also available December, is a replacement fin & SPIRAL chaff dispensers for Mirage 2000D.

• 2 weeks later...
According to his November catalogue M.Access 017 baggage pods available December 2008;

M.Access 016, also available December, is a replacement fin & SPIRAL chaff dispensers for Mirage 2000D.

Can someone please point me towards the Model Art website? Despite an extensive search, I can't find it. I'd really like some of these pods for my own COD build.

Thanks.

Can someone please point me towards the Model Art website? Despite an extensive search, I can't find it. I'd really like some of these pods for my own COD build.

Thanks.

There is no website. He advertises in various model magazines such as Scale Aircraft Modelling etc for mail order otherwise email: [email protected] Postal address is PO Box 64, Bury, Lancs BL9 0SF.

There is no website. He advertises in various model magazines such as Scale Aircraft Modelling etc for mail order otherwise email: [email protected] Postal address is PO Box 64, Bury, Lancs BL9 0SF.

Enzo,

DBX is correct. As far as I know, Jean-Pierre is hoping to create a new Model Art Decal System website in the near future. However, as J-P is very busy, it may not happen immediately.

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

• 2 weeks later...
Enzo,

DBX is correct. As far as I know, Jean-Pierre is hoping to create a new Model Art Decal System website in the near future. However, as J-P is very busy, it may not happen immediately.

Thank you both. Any contact details are welcome and my order will be going in shortly. I'm really rather excited about it. :bounce: