Oooooh Yet Another Lightning!!!

Howdy folks,

I've finally figured something out for the GB from what I'd already got in. I ended up opening one of my 1/48 Airfix Lightning F.3's earlier and found that it'd got some goodies hidden away in the box that I didn't know I had. Luckily I opened this one (of four) because if I hadn't found the extra's, I wouldn't have done a Lightning yet. I must have bought these just before I gave up modelling the first time.

Anyway, in the box I found an Airwaves metal access ladder and a resin seat, an Aeroclub metal cockpit tub and undercarriage. Also found Xtradecal sheet X035, 11sqn F.6, 56sqn F.3 (with the chequered tail) and the blue tail LTF one. Decals are kept for another day, and I've decided not to use the metal undercarriage as I don't like the look of it.

I'll be making an F.2 of 92sqn from the kit decals. Pics to come as soon as some action takes place!

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

OK, first update. I've toyed with a few ideas on this one but finally decided what to do. My initial thoughts were to build this mounted on a base as if it was just crossing the runway threshold for landing. But due to wanting to get it done fairly quickly I've dismissed that idea for now, maybe one of the other 3 I've got will be done that way.

Right, after messing around with the fit of the Aeroclub metal cockpit tub and not having much success, this has now been discarded. I've gone back to using the kit tub. The only problem with this is the fact that the Airwaves resin seat is slightly bigger than the kit one, therefore the stick doesn't fit properly. As not much can be seen in the cockpit once it's all together, I'm not so bothered and I've gone ahead with it.

Painted the seat up OK and it's now mounted. Here's a couple of pics before the fuselage is closed. Even though it's not that good, it's here for display anyway...

3477dbae.jpg

698060bd.jpg

It'll do for this one as it may be a closed canopy yet, still undecided... Still can't decide whether to have flaps up or down, or have the airbrakes open either!... I think I need to stop faffing and get on with it!

Karl.

• 2 weeks later...

Okeydokey, Finally some more action at last... I left it in this state last Friday (6th)...

0b3fa3d2.jpg

Got cracking with it today and made massive progress. All major construction is now done and cleaned up, and the Citadel Mithril Silver has been sprayed!! :yahoo:

I eventually decided to do flaps up and airbrakes closed, as most lightnings seem to be like this when at rest.

SHINY! :D

703e847f.jpg

When I fitted the parts on the nose with the gun ports, the kit examples were crap, just a tiny sort of scoop out to represent the guns. In view of this I decided to drill them out to make them look a little more realistic.

00657b4c.jpg

No headaches so far, apart from catching my leg in the airhose on the airbrush and getting lovely Mithril Silver spotted legs!!

One thing I'm still mulling on... should I do a panel wash on it??? what do you think with NMF's? I'm leaning towards doing it, but...

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Chris,

All I did was thin it with water to about a 50:50 mix, then just mist it on in a number of coats. It looked awful at first, I thought I was going to have to strip it down as it seemed to go blotchy. But as it dried it sorted itself out. Nice thin coats helped.

With regards to a wash, I'll be using Phil's brilliant washes that don't hurt the paint at all, and will come off without damage if I need to.

The plan for today is to do some variations on the panels to break up the monotony of it. Get the spine and tail sprayed. Get the undercariage washed and finished so they're ready to fit. Oh, and sort out the nose cone...

Karl.

Not as much progress as hoped, but it's starting to come together now. Hopefully should be finished before the weekend...

The undercarriage is nearly completed, got to crack on with the firestreaks though...

Some other painting/finishing to happen yet, but mostly small bits...

4e4b0601.jpg

I only thought about this today, and this is only the second 1/48 kit I've EVER built. I built loads of kits in my first modelling spell as a kid/teenager, and the other 1/48th one was a Tamiya SHAR many years ago. In fact I don't think I ever finished that one...

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Damn that Mithril stuff looks good. I'll just have to drop by the local wargamers... *shudder*

K

Thanks guys,

Kyrre, I know exactly what you mean, I try to avoid going into the Games Workshop if I can avoid it. Although for reference for anyone in the UK, some Hobbycraft stores are now stocking Citadel paints...

Well, I'm not going to get much more done tonight, we're in the middle of a right poo-poo storm of Thunder and Lightning. I'm buggered if I'm making my way out to the garage in that!

Karl.

Looking good, Karl!

As far as panel lines on nmf are concerned, I've used pencil graphite to good effect over Alclad; HB pencil rubbed over sandpaper and apply the resulting dust along the lines with a finger, polishing with kitchen towel in the direction of the airflow. It stays in the panel lines and polishes the paint (darkens it a bit, though). If you mask panels with postit notes first (careful to be exactly along panel lines so the graphite goes into the line but not over it) it gives a nice variation in finish - quite subtle.

It should work on Mithril Silver as well, but I'm not sure the finish is as resilient as alclad so care with polishing might be in order!

Oh oh! The deadline is looming now, thought I'd have loads of time to sort this out but I'm pushing it now...

Anyway, pressing on with things, here's the current position...

8b26afe7.jpg

I did have one headache that I wasn't expecting... I'd decided to decal straight onto the Mithril Silver finish as it seemed glossy enough for these decals. Well, Micro-sol (the second part?) does NOT agree with it! It lifted the paint straight off!! luckily it was on one of the undercarriage doors, so I was able to sort it out OK... After a coat of varnish it's fine... never had that happen before.

I'm busy getting the decalling done and I'm about half way with that. Once that's done it'll be time for another coat of varnish to seal in the decals, then I'm going to try the wash on it. At least this way the finish is protected.

I've tried some Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Aluminium on the nose ring and jet pipe rings, although at the moment I can't tell the difference between it and the varnished Mithril Silver finish. I've still got to unmask it and polish it, hopefully it'll have a bit of contrast between them then...

All of the smaller parts are now finished, so it's just a case of getting it all together now... hopefully looking to finish it by Saturday, but we'll see

Karl.

P.S. Oh bugger, just realised I've still got the Firestreaks to do... I'd forgotten them!

Edited by dswoofie

Rushing rushing rushing... deadline approaching fast...

Latest update...

All decalling done, just a few odds and ends left, mainly some legs for it to stand on. And some panel wash...

time ticking by... tick, tock, tick, tock...

ed9f964b.jpg

2eb523a1.jpg

Karl.