Folland Gnat T.1 (1:48 Aeroclub)

Mike

Now that I do like, Mike.

I've always had a soft spot for the Gnat ever since my Dad used to tell me stories as a kid about the time he saw a blue prototype (probably the Midge) go past without a sound at the Farnborough airshow in the 50's, supersonic restrictions not being in force in those days.

The job you've done on yours is absolutely lovely, and as has been stated, the colour scheme really suits its shape. I especially like the scale colour effect - post office red would have made it look toy-like, your choice of red looks incredibly realistic.

Great stuff, most impressed.

Cheers,

Dean

That's positively stunning Mike, every time I've seen a build of this kit it's absolutely beautiful. Love the colour scheme and the overall finish looks very tidy indeed.

Great job,

Eng

After a looong hiatus while I got to grips with masking & painting, I finally finished this kit tonight, depsite my old techniques coming back to haunt me on the canopy. It's not my best model ever, but looks quite striking as long as you don't have a magnifying glass with you :D

Build thread is here if you're interested. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

detail.jpg

The cockpit was a pleasant surprise, as it was painted over 2 years ago, and has been hidden by the masking tape ever since :)

Comments & critiques welcomed as usual.

It's when I see a kit as well made as that I start to doubt I ever mastered that model. Beautifully done!

John

It's when I see a kit as well made as that I start to doubt I ever mastered that model. Beautifully done!

John

Thanks John... means a lot - now how about re-releasing it to satisfy the masses? ;)

Not really my 'thang' but a lovely model nonetheless - what was wrong with the canopy? I'd die for one that clear

Not really my 'thang' but a lovely model nonetheless - what was wrong with the canopy? I'd die for one that clear

Thanks Tim :) There was rough opaque Klear all over it, so I had to use a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol (I don't have any ammonia) to soften it so I could scrape it off with a shaped cocktail stick. Surprisingly effective if a little time consuming, and after a fresh brush coat of Klear you'd hardly know ;)

• 4 years later...

Thanks guys :) I haven't seen this thread since back in 2008 when I completed it, but it was still nice of you all to give it some belated love ;)