BAe Hawk landing gear

Ale85

Hi guys,

i've a doubt about the Hawk's landing gear and wheel bay colour: they are white or light grey? Ig they are light grey, can i use for example the H-332 Light Aircraft Grey by Gunze??

many thanks!

ciao

Ale

Hi

From very close personal experience with the Black hawks at Culdrose. I can safely say they are grey, the type of grey (possibly barley type grey??) I am not sure but are definately grey (apart from the small patch covered in my blood!).

Cheers now

Bob

G'day Ale,

The gear units and undercarriage doors are a gloss light grey. The inside of the undercarriage bays themselves are gloss white. I can't tell you the name of the grey, but I have used light gull grey (FS 16440) but a barley grey would also be close,

cheers,

Pappy

Before they were re-winged the U/c bays used have a dirty yellow appearance, especially the inboard area, from the anti corrosion treatment sprayed on over the grey paint. The control linkages running through the inboard end of the main U/cbay used to suffer quite badly from the spray thrown up by the wheels. I seem to remember the bearings in Bell Crank Lever 15 used to seize and cause control restrictions. The U/c bays on the Red Arrows jet are obviously cleaned more than other RAF Hawks. While the normal colour is a version of light aircraft grey, some hydraulic jacks had a bluey green tint to the paint depending on when they were manufactured.

Edited by Scarlet

Hi guys,

i've a doubt about the Hawk's landing gear and wheel bay colour: they are white or light grey? Ig they are light grey, can i use for example the H-332 Light Aircraft Grey by Gunze??

many thanks!

ciao

Ale

G'day Ale,

As others have mentioned before, the gear legs, doors etc (basically, anything which is external to the wheel well) is painted Light Aircraft Grey, gloss epoxy BS 381C-627G, while the wheel bays themselves are (originally) gloss white.

You can see this in some detail photos of RAAF Hawks I have on my web site;

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Articles/Gear-01.html

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Hawk-Articles-01.html

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/

Cheers,

Motty.

G'day Ale,

As others have mentioned before, the gear legs, doors etc (basically, anything which is external to the wheel well) is painted Light Aircraft Grey, gloss epoxy BS 381C-627G, while the wheel bays themselves are (originally) gloss white.

You can see this in some detail photos of RAAF Hawks I have on my web site;

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Articles/Gear-01.html

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/Hawk-Articles-01.html

http://motty.hobbyvista.com/

Cheers,

Motty.

Yep, spot on. I can concur with most of the replies to your query, especially Motty's. The colour of the inside of the large inboard 'D' door can variy, dependent upon the general colour of the rest of the airframe. It could be either gloss white, light aircraft grey, or the overall colour of the aircraft or scheme (e.g. Black on RAF T.1As, signal red on RAFAT T.1As, dark blue (Navy) on CT. 115s (Canada), etc). The PX-24 protection covering applied to RAF in-service Hawks (basically a form of liquid wax) does tend to make the interiors of these aircraft look somewhat more grubby than other export Hawk aircraft.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

The PX-24 protection covering applied to RAF in-service Hawks (basically a form of liquid wax) does tend to make the interiors of these aircraft look somewhat more grubby than other export Hawk aircraft.

Ahhh...Yak Poo as we called it!

Looks like I'm gonna be repainting. (doing the ol Grey/Green combo...)

Merv

PX-24.

PX-24 is a water repellent a bit like industrial WD-40, Nasty in the eyes as I found out working on Sea Kings at RAFSKTU in '84, had to peel eye-lids off my eye-balls because the 'water' had been repelled

PX-24

Beat me to that. We used to spray it over the Walters on SARTU after they'd had a wash.

Ahhh...Yak Poo as we called it!

I take it you mean Yak poo-poo? That was the nickname for the yellow jointing compound used when carrying out airframe repairs.

Beat me to that. We used to spray it over the Walters on SARTU after they'd had a wash.

I take it you mean Yak poo-poo? That was the nickname for the yellow jointing compound used when carrying out airframe repairs.

Twas being polite...

What was the polish we used on canopy's called,Monkey Sp*nk was'nt it....

Twas being polite...

Ah...Goddards/Greys perspex polish - I still have a couple of bottles of that stuff (stinks too!). :lol:

Falcon (Chris): The undercarriage legs themselves, and the interiors of the outer middle and lower door assemblies are painted epoxy gloss light aircraft grey, as Motty indicated. The interior of the wheel well structures are painted epoxy gloss white.

HTH

Derek Bradshaw

(Senior Airworthiness Engineer - Hawk aircraft, BAE SYSTEMS Brough ;))

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

PX-24 is a water repellent a bit like industrial WD-40, Nasty in the eyes as I found out working on Sea Kings at RAFSKTU in '84, had to peel eye-lids off my eye-balls because the 'water' had been repelled

I think that you are correct there - I was probably meaning PX-32 (I remember now that PX-24 is a very light oil, as you describe - mind you, it is 27 years ago since I last used the stuff on EE Lightnings, so I forgot!).

Cheers

Derek

Forgotten about that one!

We started using pledge at Valley for a while but it used to attack the glue that held the MDC in place so we went back to using watered down monkey jiz.